Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #1

How to add more batteries?

I've looked around and haven't been able to find any thread that answers my question. I have a 2017 JayFlight 29RKS. It came with two 12v deep cycle batteries. The previous owner only used the trailer twice and its obvious that he didn't maintain the batteries properly, I can't get them to charge above 8.4v. Luckily I bought a pair of 6v's in May that I took off my old TT and put on the new one. I would like to take the two dead 12v's and get two new 6v's that match the two I already have so I can have four 6v's, or possible more later on, but the battery tray on the tongue of the only has room for two batteries. The trailer is used mainly for boon docking. I have a battery tender solar panel currently to help keep the batteries charged. I do use a generator once in a while. I am hoping someone on here has done what I want to do or has suggestions on how to do it. I'm also sure the battery tender panel may not be able to keep up with power needs on the new trailer, especially if I add more then the two current batteries I have now.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:10 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your battery situation, I have seen people make a rack that mounts on the tongue that mounts the additional two batteries over the original two. I would space them so that maintenance could be performed.

It’s not a good idea to mix new batteries with old ones as the older batteries might draw down the new ones. Best to replace with four new batteries.
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xboaters View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your battery situation, I have seen people make a rack that mounts on the tongue that mounts the additional two batteries over the original two. I would space them so that maintenance could be performed.

It’s not a good idea to mix new batteries with old ones as the older batteries might draw down the new ones. Best to replace with four new batteries.
The current batteries are only a couple months old, so almost new. They were manufactured just this last May.
Weimaraner Duke
Old 08-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #4

This is what I did to mount four 6v batteries. They still sell the exact same box at Harbor Freight but I’m sure there are other boxes that will work. They actually sell boxes made just for this but I wasn’t willing to spend hundreds of dollars on something I could make myself. I had to mount two pieces of angle steel to span the frame and support the box.

Sorry about the sideways pictures....I sure wish they’d fix this issue, it’s become beyond annoying in so many threads.
Attached Thumbnails
280A7B60-4355-4F2B-903E-EA990D501AAA.jpg   B0A2D69C-48CB-4FDE-BD01-3111B5DECBA6.jpg  
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
This is what I did to mount four 6v batteries. They still sell the exact same box at Harbor Freight but I’m sure there are other boxes that will work. They actually sell boxes made just for this but I wasn’t willing to spend hundreds of dollars on something I could make myself. I had to mount two pieces of angle steel to span the frame and support the box.

Sorry about the sideways pictures....I sure wish they’d fix this issue, it’s become beyond annoying in so many threads.
Which Harbor Freight box was the one you purchased a they have 2 sizes, or had 2 sizes?
I had the same problems with the pictures using my iPhone. I finally plugged it into my PC and downloaded them into a folder for the forum and have not had an issue since.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #6

I always though the Diamond plate tool boxes with the front lip area would make great battery boxes. The front area is where you could add your wiring to each of the batteries etc...

google images

The lifting of the lid however might be a problem on some trailer that have over hang up front around the trailer tongue area...

TORKLIFT makes some real nice battery boxes. I like their slide off lid model box...

google image...

I am currently in process of adding a large 59-inch Torklift battery box across the tongue of my POPUP trailer... Will look like this

Google image

This will have three compartments inside the two outer compartments will hold two 6VDC batteries wired in series and the middle compartment is where my selector switch and fuse bars etc will be located... Mine will have a 10WATT Solar on both ends one for each bank.... The solar panels will most likely just be a trickle charge when in high sun...

This will eventually replace my 12VDC batteries I have installed on the tongue area and will extend out on both side of the tongue area...

Roy's image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Which Harbor Freight box was the one you purchased a they have 2 sizes, or had 2 sizes?
I had the same problems with the pictures using my iPhone. I finally plugged it into my PC and downloaded them into a folder for the forum and have not had an issue since.
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
They still have the same two boxes as of last week in my local store. I set my batteries side by side and measured them previous to shopping. When I got to Harbor Freight armed with my tape measure I chose the one I have. It’s such a tight fit I have inches to spare front to back and no room side to side. It was exactly the same width as my Aframe as well. It was sheer luck I stumbled upon those boxes. I added vents in the front and waterproof electric access in the rear. I put down a thick sheet of rubber mat on the bottom and drilled drain holes before dropping the batteries in too. I’ll look to see if there is still a sticker on it somewhere after 3 years.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I always though the Diamond plate tool boxes with the front lip area would make great battery boxes. The front area is where you could add your wiring to each of the batteries etc...

google images

The lifting of the lid however might be a problem on some trailer that have over hang up front around the trailer tongue area...

TORKLIFT makes some real nice battery boxes. I like their slide off lid model box...

google image...

I am currently in process of adding a large 59-inch Torklift battery box across the tongue of my POPUP trailer... Will look like this

Google image

This will have three compartments inside the two outer compartments will hold two 6VDC batteries wired in series and the middle compartment is where my selector switch and fuse bars etc will be located... Mine will have a 10WATT Solar on both ends...

This will eventually replace my 12VDC batteries I have installed on the tongue area and will extend out on both side of the tongue area...

Roy's image

Roy Ken
I was looking at those exact same boxes and was ready to buy one until I found the Harbor Freight box for like $68. 3 years later it’s still perfect aside from a coat of black paint because it was chalking.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #9

Quote:

Nice job!
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #10

Cool

Quote:

I like that. I normally don’t buy stuff from harbor freight, but I might have to look at their boxes.
Weimaraner Duke
Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post

google images

google image...

Google image

This will have three compartments inside the two outer compartments will hold two 6VDC batteries wired in series and the middle compartment is where my selector switch and fuse bars etc will be located... Mine will have a 10WATT Solar on both ends one for each bank.... The solar panels will most likely just be a trickle charge when in high sun...

Roy's image

Roy Ken
I like the slide off lids on the torklift boxes. A lift up lid might get in the way, but the slide off wouldn’t have the same problem.

What brand of solar panels do you use?
Weimaraner Duke
Old 08-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #12

Quote:

Did you weld the angle steel to the trailer or bolt it?
Weimaraner Duke
Old 08-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
Did you weld the angle steel to the trailer or bolt it?
Welded it then bolted the box to the angle.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
The current batteries are only a couple months old, so almost new. They were manufactured just this last May.

The thing is, its more than just the age of the battery but the brand, size, etc. Also the makeup of the electrolyte can make some batteries run slightly hotter (higher voltage) than others.. This can vary from batt to batt, even from the same type, depending on the mixture of sulfuric acid from where they were first charged. Any of this can work against each other, causing failure eventually. I wouldn't put batteries from different sources together unless I was certain about their origins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xboaters View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Agree completely! I used to do battery maintenance on the North Slope with batteries taking up entire rooms.. We used to have to replace individual cells (2v) and we could get away with mixing in new batteries because these huge battery banks remained on float voltage their entire lifespan. They never would normally be subjected to a deep cycle like us RV'ers do to our batteries. All they had to do was supply power in the short time between the power failure and the restoration (usually standby generators).

Different batteries, if they are mixed together but are always on a charger (like being in a full hookup park) will never have problems until they go do a few deep cycles. If that is going to happen I would keep the different batteries separate with either auto isolation or manual with a way to switch them before one gets past depleted..
eagle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #15

Confused

Quote:
I've looked around and haven't been able to find any thread that answers my question. I have a 2017 JayFlight 29RKS. It came with two 12v deep cycle batteries. The previous owner only used the trailer twice and its obvious that he didn't maintain the batteries properly, I can't get them to charge above 8.4v. Luckily I bought a pair of 6v's in May that I took off my old TT and put on the new one. I would like to take the two dead 12v's and get two new 6v's that match the two I already have so I can have four 6v's, or possible more later on, but the battery tray on the tongue of the only has room for two batteries. The trailer is used mainly for boon docking. I have a battery tender solar panel currently to help keep the batteries charged. I do use a generator once in a while. I am hoping someone on here has done what I want to do or has suggestions on how to do it. I'm also sure the battery tender panel may not be able to keep up with power needs on the new trailer, especially if I add more then the two current batteries I have now.
I assume that you are taking two of the 6V batteries and connecting them in series to get 12Volts, but I am wondering why you just don’t buy two 12V batteries to replace the defective ones. Seems like it would be a whole lot easier.
Gwaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaltz View Post
I assume that you are taking two of the 6V batteries and connecting them in series to get 12Volts, but I am wondering why you just don’t buy two 12V batteries to replace the defective ones. Seems like it would be a whole lot easier.
Because 6v batteries are far superior to 12v batteries if your looking for a true deep cycle battery.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaltz View Post
Yes, I put them in series to get 12 volts. Two 6 volts will get you more ah's then one 12 volt. The two 6 volts were more then enough for the 41 year old Prowler I just replaced. The new Jayco uses more power so I would like to add more 6 volts that will be charged by solar panels so I don't have to rely on my generator as much. I don't currently camp in public campgrounds, but on private property where the closest power pole is miles away. I just bought the two 6 volts in May so I put those in my new Jayco and put one of the 12 volts in the prowler I sold. The second 12 volt battery will be used as a core charge towards a new battery.
Weimaraner Duke