Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #1

How to fix a leaking Camco RhinoFLEX Clear 45 Degree RV Sewer Hose Swivel Fitting

For those of you that have purchased the Camco RhinoFLEX Clear 45 Degree RV Sewer Hose Swivel Fitting only to discover that the joint leaks when you connect it to the RhinoFLEX sewer hose, I have a cure.

I purchased the clear 45 degree fitting so I could easily see when the black and gray tanks were empty at the dump station. On the very first outing with the new fitting, I connected the fitting to the trailer, the Hose to the fitting and put the other end int to the dump station drain. I pulled the black tank valve open and immediately had a small but steady stream of sewage dribbling onto the pavement. Even though every thing was properly connected I had black then gray water leaking onto the pavement.

When I got home, I examined the connection more closely. Basically the cam locking studs are in the wrong position to push the end of the fitting against the seal in the RhinoFLEX hose. There is a gap of about 1/32" between the end of the pipe in the fitting and the rubber gasket on the hose fitting.

I scratched my head for a while and then came up with a potential solution. If I could make the pins a little larger it would push the joint together, which would provide a water tight seal. After searching around a bit, I found some 1/4" tygon aquarium air tubing. I snipped off 4 pieces a bit more than 1/4" long. Using a pair of hemostats, and some very hot water, I was able to stretch the tubing so it would fit over the pegs on the clear fitting. I again connected the pieces, filled the gray tank on the trailer with water and opened the drain valve. I didn't have even a drip coming from the connections.

I don't know if anyone from CAMCO ever visits this site, but I could easily tell them how to fix their mold so that their future runs of the part would work properly.
Attached Thumbnails
camco.JPG   IMG_0692.jpg   IMG_0694.jpg   IMG_0693.jpg   IMG_0691.jpg  

Old 05-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #2

Awesome! Thank you!

My swivel leaked from day 1 and I assumed it was leaking at the swivel. I replaced it with a short, non-swiveling fitting.

If I can find my leaking swivel fitting (I might have tossed it) I'll see if I can find a piece of suitable tubing and give your fix a try.

Thanks again.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
Site Team

Did you try replacing the black gasket? They get compressed. I bought a pkg with 5 or 6 spares.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Did you try replacing the black gasket? They get compressed. I bought a pkg with 5 or 6 spares.
Thats what I did... When the fitting does not feel snug when hooking them together, I will swap out a gasket for a newer one, or sometimes have to double them up.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
My house had new gaskets and the elbow connection still leaked when the hose was connected directly to the trailer there was no leakage. The only leak occurred at the outlet end of the clear elbow because the pegs were not in contact with the mating part so the gasket would compress.
us71na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #6

My Camco swivel 45 leaked from day one and I was really disappointed. Camco products are generally good. Bought one of these and good to go for not much $. https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T102...gateway&sr=8-1 Nice fix BTW but for $7.89 I tossed the Camco
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #7

Had the same problem. Contacted Camco about it, they suggested a new gasket. Nope. They even sent me a brand new one. Exact same problem. I finally came across an online suggestion to smear the connector joint with Vaseline before hooking up the hose. Worked great, but kinda messy.

But what a pain. Eventually I just gave up on the Camco swivel and got a one-piece clear non-swivel 45 degree angle fitting - can't even remember whose it was. Valterra, maybe. No more leaks. My life is much happier since I don't have to smear Vaseline any more. Yay.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:11 AM   #8
Site Team

Well, it's still good for chapped lips! LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:28 PM   #9

Mine leaked from day one.

Quote:
Mine leaked from day one.
Amazon would not do anything.
Camco won't respond.
Only had it 2 weeks when I started trying to get some help.

I'm thinking Camco maybe the white trash fitting company of the USA.

Not trying to be rude or ornry but really.
A brand new fitting that leaks.

My old hose, which I keep as the back up, still works just like it should.
It's just old and I did not want to have it fail without somewhere to go get my TT back up and running.

So sad.

Gramps
DadGramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:29 PM   #10

Buying an additional fitting is not fixing it.
It's replacing a cheap Camco fitting with a quality fitting.

So sad camco is so poorly built and the customer service is so poor.

Gramps
DadGramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 07:29 PM   #11

I put vaseline on the o ring on my pool pump basket lid once. Next time the lid came off, the o ring had swelled / grew in length. No way was that o ring going back in. Lost a foot and a half of water before I could procure another. Yes, I bought two replacements.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:26 PM   #12

The simple tubing fix I did on mine is still working just fine. No leaks.