Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2021, 10:14 AM   #1

How to wire this….

I have what to some might be a silly question. I bought this 4way panel off Amazon. It, as you see, has 4 accessories, power switch, volt meter, 12v plug in port and a USB charge port. The easiest and most convenient location to install would be on the side end of counter next to my sink and drawers. I’m thinking I can take power from the feed to the water pump on the floor inside that cabinet.
My question is can I run a +power in to the switch then a jumper wire to each accessory, a jumper wire from each gnd then final gnd back to gnd feed back to the water pump?
Each accessory has 2 connections, with the power switch having 3 (1 for the lighted switch). I’ll post pics as soon as I figure out how.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #2

I think you forgot to attach the picture so I will use "the force" to visualize what you are talking about.

Yes you can jumper to each item from one feed. It is surprising that it didn't come that way. Are you planning on having the switch control something external or just control the panel itself? If you just want to use the switch to control the panel items, just bring the power in to one side of the switch and then the other side will go to all other things which would be jumpered together.

I recommend installing an inline fuse with the power feed to the switch. Also, the 12 volt power to the pump will probably be controlled by its own switch. If you tap into that power you will always have to have the pump turned on for your panel to operate. If you are hooked up to a water source you don't want the pump on.

Lastly, the lighted switch. 3 terminals with one being a ground for the light. If you find the switch lit up all the time simply reverse the 2 non-ground wires. The switch light will be connected to one of the terminals for its +12 volts. If by chance you put the 12 volts coming in on that terminal, the light will be on all the time. You want the power to feed in on the other terminal so it only supplies power to the terminal that has the light connected when the switch is on. Hope this makes sense.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I think you forgot to attach the picture so I will use "the force" to visualize what you are talking about.I can't seem to figure out how to post pics. I get the picture url from my flicker acct and post using the attach photo button but pictures don't appear.

Yes you can jumper to each item from one feed. It is surprising that it didn't come that way. It came with connectors for the wire ~ but no wire, face plate and mounting screws. Are you planning on having the switch control something external or just control the panel itself? Just the 3 items in the panel If you just want to use the switch to control the panel items, just bring the power in to one side of the switch and then the other side will go to all other things which would be jumpered together.

I recommend installing an inline fuse with the power feed to the switch. Also, the 12 volt power to the pump will probably be controlled by its own switch. If you tap into that power you will always have to have the pump turned on for your panel to operate. If you are hooked up to a water source you don't want the pump on.

Lastly, the lighted switch. 3 terminals with one being a ground for the light. If you find the switch lit up all the time simply reverse the 2 non-ground wires. The switch light will be connected to one of the terminals for its +12 volts. If by chance you put the 12 volts coming in on that terminal, the light will be on all the time. You want the power to feed in on the other terminal so it only supplies power to the terminal that has the light connected when the switch is on. Hope this makes sense.thank-you for this, too. I was wondering how I was going to work that but I figured once I got all connected i would play with the wiring until it works as intended
Thanks for your reply, You confirmed what I was thinking. However I didn't consider when I am hooked up to an external water supply and that the pump would be off. Very good point. My biggest issue was/is finding an accessible power source and a (relatively) accessible (install and usage wise) location for this panel. I will have to reconsider where I can pull 12 v from. Maybe I can access 12v from the power center below the fridge and run wiring inside the cabinet back to my originally intended install location.
I can't seem to post pics so this is a link to the item I am talking about.
https://www.amazon.ca/Linkstyle-Char...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 09-11-2021, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyerPhyter View Post
I can't seem to post pics so this is a link to the item I am talking about.
https://www.amazon.ca/Linkstyle-Char...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Scroll down to the Q&A section, there appear to be a couple of pictures on how to wire it up. Does that help?
Old 09-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #5

To post pictures just click on the paper clip icon above and select the file you want and then upload it. It will attach the file plus put a picture in the message if it is a photo file.

Nice looking panel.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote