Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #1

Hughes Power Watchdog With Auto Shutoff

I have always used the Progressive Industries EMS and highly recommend it. I also use the Hughes Autoformer and recommend it. Hughes has come out with a new Power Watchdog With Auto Shutoff that appears to be worth a look.
https://hughesautoformers.com/power-...ge-protectors/
I have not seen a lot about it so I just thought I would throw it out there for Surge Protector / EMS. The Portable one can give you the best of both worlds. Easy to install for people scared of putting in a hardware unit and the ability to see voltage amps and faults on your phone.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:17 AM   #2

I just ordered one today! I will let it be known how it is when it arrives. I am getting the stand alone unit because the hard wired unit is not UL listed, (nor is the stand alone) the only hard wired unit I could find that is UL listed is the Progressive, and it is made in Mexico, and was more money.

Desertman
Destrtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
I have always used the Progressive Industries EMS and highly recommend it. I also use the Hughes Autoformer and recommend it. Hughes has come out with a new Power Watchdog With Auto Shutoff that appears to be worth a look.
https://hughesautoformers.com/power-...ge-protectors/
I have not seen a lot about it so I just thought I would throw it out there for Surge Protector / EMS. The Portable one can give you the best of both worlds. Easy to install for people scared of putting in a hardware unit and the ability to see voltage amps and faults on your phone.
My Progressive 30amp portable malfunctioned recently and Progressive is replacing it with a brand new unit free of charge. If for some reason they didn't approve my warranty claim the Hughes Watchdog was the one I was going to replace it with. I might just order one anyway for a backup. Thx for the info.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrtman View Post
I just ordered one today! I will let it be known how it is when it arrives. I am getting the stand alone unit because the hard wired unit is not UL listed, (nor is the stand alone) the only hard wired unit I could find that is UL listed is the Progressive, and it is made in Mexico, and was more money.
Desertman
It only has a 3 yr warranty and Progressive is a Lifetime warranty.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It only has a 3 yr warranty and Progressive is a Lifetime warranty.
Thanks Grumpy
Yes about the warranty, but for $30 - $50 I can purchase a replacement surge module and have it with me. Though I would have thought that it would have an automatic reset for surge spikes like the Progressive. Maybe there's something I'm missing here? Any insight on this issue?

I also like the app for the Hughes Watchdog with power usage and load balancing on the 50 amp. Important information in my hand and not on a wall somewhere in in the trailer.

I have a '18 Seismic 4116 and the shoreline comes in on the rear end of the left side of the unit and runs up inside to the front where the transfer switch is "?" which I have not found yet.

Desertman
Old 09-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrtman View Post
Thanks Grumpy
Yes about the warranty, but for $30 - $50 I can purchase a replacement surge module and have it with me. Though I would have thought that it would have an automatic reset for surge spikes like the Progressive. Maybe there's something I'm missing here? Any insight on this issue?
I wouldn't call it insight, but opinion. The two most popular units, Progressive Industries and Surge Guard (Southwire) are both in the same price range. Now Hughes comes in at 1/2 the price so there has to be a difference some place. Maybe it is just warranty, but in that case it is not only covers the "surge" portion, but also the internal switching which is what TCNashville had fail. I

Since the Watchdog is new I would give it a couple years of reviews before I would buy it.

As I said, just my opinion.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #7

I just saw a Facebook ad for one of these this morning and was intending to research them. I've had to buy so many new things. For this new trailer. Well I haven't had to but stuff that I wanted.

And somehow now I feel that I may be stopping my purchases too soon if I skip this for now.

I have never had any Campground voltage issues that I was aware of so it is hard for me to pull the trigger on this purchase.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
I have never had any Campground voltage issues that I was aware of so it is hard for me to pull the trigger on this purchase.

All it takes is one bad pedestal and that will change your mind. I had a minor issue with my Progressive EMS that I could easily fix myself, but when I contacted Progressive they are replacing it with a new unit....and I get to keep the original one.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
All it takes is one bad pedestal and that will change your mind. I had a minor issue with my Progressive EMS that I could easily fix myself, but when I contacted Progressive they are replacing it with a new unit....and I get to keep the original one.
Yes, I get it. But most of the places I camp are pretty busy. It would seem that a bad pedestal would show up before I got to it. I would think that a voltage Spike or drop would be more common
Old 09-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes, I get it. But most of the places I camp are pretty busy. It would seem that a bad pedestal would show up before I got to it. I would think that a voltage Spike or drop would be more common
Problem is, you’ll never see the effects of low voltage except for an early failure of a circuit board due to cumulative overheating conditions. While there may be a lot of people in the park, the majority are there 5 nights or fewer and won’t know their camper is struggling to pull amps out of low voltage.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:37 AM   #11

Thanks Grumpy
I think I will take another look at the Progressive, and see what I can find on the Southwire. It being Saturday when I ordered the Hughes they called this morning to let me know that they were backordered on the 50 amp and the I had ordered the wrong surge relay.

Desertman
Old 08-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #12

Quote:
I just saw a Facebook ad for one of these this morning and was intending to research them. I've had to buy so many new things. For this new trailer. Well I haven't had to but stuff that I wanted.

And somehow now I feel that I may be stopping my purchases too soon if I skip this for now.

Well, if its not if its when from a surge or spike from frying all your electrical circuits. For what's its worth, the Hughes Watchdog is well worth it and has more surge protection than the Progressive with 4800 Joules versus 3500 for the 50A device. All they do is count the # of MOVs in the surge protector and total up the joules. More MOVs = more surge protection. More joules is more about to absorb heat!

From a campground under-voltage standpoint, I check my Watchdog multiple times per day, as the bluetooth connection allows me to see the Voltage per line, Amps per line, total watts, and KWH in real-time. Nice to see the values change when the AC kicks on, cranks up the watts from about 600 or so to about 2300 when AC is going. To your point, in the 50 or so campgrounds I have stayed at, mostly all fully packed, never had an undervoltage situtation.

A colleague of mine recommended the Hughes, as they were camping up in the mountains of NC and about 20 campers were fried with a surge. His Hughes failed open as it should, but protected the camper, no damage. The replaceable surge module is nice too.
dpisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #13

My thoughts exactly. I've camped for decades, never an issue. I know I'm tempting fate, though.

I want to pull the trigger on a Hughes.