Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

I need a brake controller

I am looking for suggestions on what the best brake controller is for my set up. I have a 19H Jayfeather (dual axle) trailer (4500 lbs. max weight) that I tow with my F-150 Super Crew 5.4L V8. I just got this truck and sold my other TV with the brake controller on it (the guy just had to have the controller) So now I am in the market for a new brake controller and am rather perplexed on what I want. Looking for any suggestions on what you guys think would be the best bet.

Thank you as always for your guidance.

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Well what is "the best" is a matter of $ as with anything. But a good all around reasonably priced well performing controller is the Tekonsha Prodigy P3. It is a fast install if you get the vehicle specific wiring harness connector. I had a cheap no name controller first, it bucked quite a bit when slowing to a traffic light or stopping. I think I paid around 130.00 for the Prodigy on Ebay including the connector. This is one suggestion, there are other higher priced models on the market if you are looking for the best.

Here is a link to a discussion here about brake controllers
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ake+controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

After researching, I had selected a Prodigy. My dealer was including a basic controller with the trailer so I negotiated a higher model; however all they had was the Hayes G2. At first I was really disappointed, but so far I have been really pleased with it. I think it is pretty similar to the P3.

I have towed lighter trailers with the base controllers and they are fine for little trailers - but I wanted something with more feedback for my TT investment. I really like the digital display to tell me my settings, the dial just does not cut it.

One feature that I really like is the boost function in the higher end controllers. What it does is apply a small, but adjustable, amount of braking when the brake pedal is depressed. This is great when you are in stop and go traffic or doing a gradual stop where you are not really braking hard enough to activate the sensors in the controller. I can tell a huge different when it is not activated. What I dont like about boost is you really have to remember to disable it when you are jockeying the trailer around. I was backing one day on mud and when I lightly tapped the brakes it locked the wheels and caused the trailer to slide sideways. I dont forget anymore!

It also has lots of feedback, such as voltage, current, accidental disconnect, etc

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #4

This is the one I bought and installed in my Ford Explorer for hauling a X20E.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033WNLO4

I can't compare it to other break controllers as this is the first one I've ever had/used.
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #5

Had the surge Resse on my TT and hated the pulsing. I have since upgraded to the P3 and love it. The only thing with the P3 is that you need to mount it as close to level as possible for the gyro to work a peak. It does not mount on a 45 degree. I think the p2 does mount on an angle and self adjust for that. Any good quality inertia based controller is going to give you the best from a response standpoint IMHO and give you the comfort in stop and go traffic without having to constantly adjust the settings due to the pulse.

One other plus to the P3 that I personally can attest to is the connection notification. It will tell you if your connection is bad and alert you. It saved my a#$ once due to a corrosion issue. I pulled over on the highway and fixed the connection right away. If there was an emergency stop I would not have had the trailer brakes working as a result.
For the extra $25.00 it's nice to know what's going on behind you especially with the cargo being your family.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #6

Thanks for the great responses guys !! I purchased the Prodigy P3 because I love bells and whistles. I also liked the warning light feature just in case my connection is broken. I have a 6 and 2 year old in the truck with my wife and I try to be as safe as I can while towing a trailer. As 3'senough said, they are the most important cargo I have.

Thanks again for the help. This site has been a God send ever since I found it.

Happy camping !!!

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #7

[QUOTE=Wolverine;27476]I have a 6 and 2 year old in the truck with my wife and I try to be as safe as I can while towing a trailer. As 3's enough said, they are the most important cargo I have. [QUOTE]

You can never be too safe towing your rig. It only takes one little bobble with the extra weight, length etc to be in trouble. We all need all the cusion we can get.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #8

I will say that I haver been using a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 for the past 4 years and have been extremely satisified with it's performance!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #9

For my application, the Prodigy p2 was the right choice over the p3. It has fewer bells and whistles, but the same performance for 2/3 the price.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #10

I run the the Prodigy p2. Never an issue and easily adjustable.