Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #1

I'm Shocked

We ended up purchasing the 314BHS that I talked about in my "AM I CRAZY" thread, against some of the advice given there.
We picked it up on Saturday and spent a good part of the weekend cleaning it and transfering things from the 242FK.
I ended up liking the leveler jacks on the 242 better than the ones on the 314 so I switched them. What I found is that whenever I touch the frame of the camper while it is plugged in, I get a jolt which I think is 110V (only if Im not insulated ie not wearing shoes or have skin touching the ground). The 2 copper wires that attach to the frame look a little rough and the connector they use does appear to be rusted. Do you think this is why I am getting shocked, or is there something Im missing. Thanks! Dave

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's where I would start, insure that the frame-grounding wires are getting a solid/clean contact.

The next area I would check is your shore power cord for any compromises (burnt connector, damaged cord, etc.), and also check for any loose connections where it is landed in the TT at a junction box, and/or back of the breaker/fuse box.

Make sure your shore connection is "un-plugged" during your inspections.

Let us know what you find.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #3

First I would check that your ground is good on the cord coming from the house and also that the outlet has a good ground. When I experienced a hot skin it was from a faulty ground.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

ALso check that ALL THREE CONDUCTORs are connected on your shore power cable adapter if you are using one. Also your 120VAC garage receptacle must also have all three wires working.

The only way the trailer frame gets earth ground is through the shore power connection to your garage.

This could be serious on some people getting shocked so should be taken care of right away. Using those three light circuit testers from LOWES could come real handy...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #5

I would have never thought about checking the garage plug. Although it is a 3 prong plog, I don't know if it is truely grounded.... The house was built in 1955 and most of the plugs in the main house are two prong, however a breeze way/additional living space was put on between the house and garage at somepoint after the completion of the house and who knows if they ever really ran the gound on those outlets, since the breaker box is on the other side of the house.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 05-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #6

I STRONGLY recommend that you check the garage power. RoyBraddy's suggestion to use the continuity/polarity tester is a great suggestion. Next, I would put the tester in an outlet on the trailer. If all checks out with a tester like that, I would put a cord-mounted GFCI in to the circuit. I'll bet you a box of donuts it will trip. I think you have a ground fault in either the garage or trailer wiring. I suspect that there may be a high resistance connection in the return loop somewhere that is sending the current through any available ground connection (like you!). When you are doing any checks act as if you know the current will travel through your body to the ground unless you take positive steps to stop it.

Good luck - and be careful!
Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Site Team

If the shore power outlet checks out ok with an outlet circuit tester, try this….

First I would check to see what the actual shocking voltage is with a multimeter. USE the meter to check the frame to a known ground from the shore power source. I would not recommend touching anything to see if you get a shock.

I addition to the previous suggestions, I would check ALL the TT's outlets with the circuit tester, as one of the outlets may have been wired incorrectly.

Next turn off ALL the AC breakers inside the trailer. Then check if the shocking voltage is still there. If not, your issue is after the TT's main breaker. If you do get a shock (with all the breakers turned off) it is between the main power panel and the shore power connection.

If you did not get a shock, switch on only the main breaker (with the others in the off position), now check for any shocking voltage.

If you did not get any shocking voltage, switch on one of the other breakers (with the main breaker) and do another shocking test.

If you do not get a shock, continue with the remainder of the breakers one at a time and checking for shocking voltage after turning on each breaker.

When you determine which breaker is creating the shocking voltage you can look at the TT's wiring diagram for the TT's electrical panel and isolate where the problem is.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!! We want to hear form you again... like I said use a meter to check for the shocking voltage not a wet finger...

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #8

Whatever you do - be careful. It doesn't take much current to stop the heart. If you are not experienced in electrical troubleshooting please seek help of an experienced person. If you have a ground fault the required current could easily pass through you! Don't ever put your body in a circuit in a manner that could allow it to become a conductor to ground or neutral. If you are using a multi-meter, for example, connect the ground (black) probe to the trailer frame without touching anything else. Then without touching anything on the trailer, use the current/voltage probe (red) to touch the circuit. I've seen an electrician badly injured when he put himself in the circuit by touching a metal ladder while checking voltages.

Mustang65 suggestions are great - if you have a known good ground and you practice safe electrical troubleshooting.

Unsafe electrical troubleshooting is like looking for a propane leak with a match. You might get away with it but...
Old 05-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Site Team

One last thing.... while you have this shocking issue, I would not keep the TT plugged in to shore power, or let anyone get in contact with it... until you get the issue corrected. Especially if any kids are around it...
Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #10

I got a nasty shock when I was working on my old (1969 Terry) TT and discovered that the hot and neutral were swapped and the ground was open. Unfortunately for me I discovered by getting shocked. I didn't get hurt but immediately set out to find the cause of the problem.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #11

I ruined the mother board in the refrigerator of our Prowler TT. The garage outlet was not wired correctly. I could touch the steps with my hand and get a tingle.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #12

You may find the following link of some value re: hot skin conditions:

https://www.heartlandowners.org/show...ctrical-shocks
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:55 AM   #13

IF you bought it from a dealer take it back NOW...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #14

Turns out those of you who said to check the shore power outlet were correct :-) THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I bought the tester last night and sure enough, the outlet in the garage indicates an open ground. I checked the garage door opener outlet and it was fine, so I switched the cord to that plug and NO MORE SHOCK. I also (for good measure) checked all the outlets in the camper itself and all are correct.
As for the camper, although it is 14 years old, the only thing I could find that doesn't work correctly is the propane detector (it was unplugged when we bought it). Thanks again for all the good info!! Going on our first outing for the season tomorrow, so hopefully it will be a good one! Thanks again, Dave

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #15

Unfortunately, you are not done yet. Even with an open ground you should not have been shocked. Nope, all the current should have been returned via the neutral conductor. The ground connection is there in case the current isn't going to the neutral side. You need to look further for the problem just in case you pull into a campground that has a high-resistance ground. Many campgrounds have a GFCI on the power post - odds are you'll trip the GFCI and won't have shore power. I suggest you start checking the trailer circuits to make sure you don't have an unbalanced current flow.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
Turns out those of you who said to check the shore power outlet were correct :-) THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I bought the tester last night and sure enough, the outlet in the garage indicates an open ground. I checked the garage door opener outlet and it was fine, so I switched the cord to that plug and NO MORE SHOCK. I also (for good measure) checked all the outlets in the camper itself and all are correct.

As for the camper, although it is 14 years old, the only thing I could find that doesn't work correctly is the propane detector (it was unplugged when we bought it). Thanks again for all the good info!! Going on our first outing for the season tomorrow, so hopefully it will be a good one! Thanks again, Dave

Glad it is taken care of. Have a good trip and post up some pictures of all that food you will cook up on the new griddle!!!
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #17

Attached Images

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossCecil View Post
Unfortunately, you are not done yet. Even with an open ground you should not have been shocked. Nope, all the current should have been returned via the neutral conductor. The ground connection is there in case the current isn't going to the neutral side. You need to look further for the problem just in case you pull into a campground that has a high-resistance ground. Many campgrounds have a GFCI on the power post - odds are you'll trip the GFCI and won't have shore power. I suggest you start checking the trailer circuits to make sure you don't have an unbalanced current flow.
O.k, I thought I would still replace the rusted ground wire connectors that come through the floor and bolt to the frame just for good measure. There are 3 in a row (2 bare copper, and one insulated strands). I guess I will start there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
Glad it is taken care of. Have a good trip and post up some pictures of all that food you will cook up on the new griddle!!!
Thanks. I am excited to finally use the griddle for more than just my wife and I. My folks and sister and brother inlaw and nephew are going too, so there will be a few to cook for. The big fishing trip is in just a few weeks and will have at least 21 to cook for. Now if we can just get the weather to cooperate, highs forcast to be only in the low to mid 50s this weekend...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L