Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #11

Back up camera

It's been quite a few months since I installed the camera, and I'm still working out bugs, but essentially I popped off the cover, removed the bulb, and took out the screws holding the light fixture. I had to cut the wires, and strip them. I may have been able to connect the wires and affix the camera to the back of the camper, but I took it a step further, and attached a white waterproof electrical box to the camper, so that the wires came through the back. I made sure that it was sealed well with caulk. I also took care to mark the wires white/black. I think that the two wires that protruded were both white, but I could see into the hole and tell which was black and which was white - I used some white paint to denote the white wire. I had already attached the camera to the plate cover of the waterproof box, with the wires through the cover, so it was a simple matter of attaching male/female ends to all the wires. I put another cover on the waterproof box until Spring, and then plugged the wires into their respective outlets and attached the cover with the camera. Unfortunately, my wire connections were not solid enough, and I've had to replace them, but haven't had it on the road since to make sure it works.
It worked sporadically, and was a great help when in traffic, and also in backing up. I also have a back-up camera - same system - on my van that I use to pull the camper, and when I'm ready to hitch up, I focus it down to the ball and I can generally back right into position and drop the camper onto the ball.
Another project this summer - we've noticed in the past that the inside lights generate a tremendous amount of heat, which is a problem in summer. I switched them with LED for about $35 (no heat). I think that the ones I got on Amazon (others have commented) are not as bright as the original ones, but we haven't tried them under camping conditions, yet. I saved the old bulbs, was careful not to touch them, and I can put some back if we need to. I should also be able to buy a couple brighter LED's for where we need them, if these are a problem.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #12

I gave you a long, involved discussion about the installation, not remembering that I'd already described a lot of it, before. I labeled it "Back up camera" instead of rear view camera. For some reason, responding to your post got complicated, with my having to re-sign in, so I'm not sure you would get my reply. Simply said, the cover pops off, the bulb can be removed by pulling it, but I'd remove the whole fixture to install the camera.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #13

Thanks very much for your comprehensive answer! I sincerely appreciate it.
Deacon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #14

I am both new to this forum and the RV world, although I am technically proficient. You guys area wealth of information and I am stuck regarding the wireless Camera install. I really hope someone can help.

I took apart the top middle marker light, expecting a black and red wire combo, or some other color combo. but instead have 2 black wires going into the bulb. So which one is the ground and which is hot?

It's a 2016 25BH..... Trying to get it set up so we can take our kids on the first "tour".
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Derek
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #15

Congratulations on your new Jayco and welcome to the JOF.

I don't know about the wiring question. With two wires of the same color, I guess the quickest way to find out would be to find a known good ground (such as the frame) and run your test light or voltmeter between that and one of the wires; with the trailer lights ON, of course.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #16

Thx "OldmanAZ",

I did a lil more research and found that most trailers have brown/white wires going to the Marker/side lights. I guess I need to dig a little further to find these wires.

Thanks for the info though.
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:59 AM   #17

Since there is more than one marker light up there, could the lights be wired in serial where all three (or more) lights are wired in one circuit? That might explain the two black wires.

Just a thought.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #18

Email Jayco and ask for a wiring diagram.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote