Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Insulation of ac unit increases cooling?

In this thread (clicky) Murphie posted an interesting comment; so interesting, in fact, that it deserves its own thread so I took the liberty of posting Murphie's comment in this new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
The guys over on the Forest River forum have done a mod on the AC. It is an interesting read and those who have done it claim it has help a lot. The have insulated one of the pipes and the condenser. If your AC can't keep up this is the mod for you. We have the 15 k btu AC and it cools our trailer fine. On real hot days we will set the AC on low and start it about an hour before needing it and it will not have to be turned up at all.
Here is a link to the thread that I think Murphie refers to: AC thread on Forest River Forum.

To Murphie and others, what do you folks think about this mod? If it actually makes a perceptible improvement in the cooling ability of my AC, I'm in favor of it. I think the mod has got to help, but just how much I don't know.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #2

I saw that thread as well. I used to own a FR trailer and still lurk on that forum from time to time. I will be doing this to mine to see if any positive results can be had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

I saw Murphie's mention of that mod and went looking for it, but couldn't find it. Thank you to RVhiker for linking it here.

Tom, I'm interested in whether you see any improvement. Even if it is a slight improvement, it's worth the investment. I already have the reflectix and the pipe insulation sitting in my garage taking up space. I was planning to use it for some other insulation projects around the camper, but I'll hold some aside for this one.

I'm also pretty sure that I need to get into my vents and my air return and tape up some gaps, so I'll have the silver tape then as well!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #4

I've got the supplies in my garage as well. Going to do this before my week long trip this weekend. I will report my findings.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #5

Interesting. Would like to know "real world" findings on this. How does it work? Do you notice a dramatic difference? Will it damage any of the components over time? That sorta stuff...
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #6

They do the same thin on your AC at your house. The insulation around the evaporator ( The big box) should keep cold air from escaping insuring all the air blows into the trailer. The insulation on the suction line to the compressor (the big copper line) keeps the refrigerant returning to the compressor cold which does two things. 1) The cold refrigerant cools the compressor windings. 2) Keeping the suction line from warming up also translates into lower discharge temp or head pressure leaving the compressor, which helps it run as efficiently as it can.

Also spraying/washing the outdoor coil with water removes dirt and debris keeping head pressure down. You should also wash the outdoor unit at your house once a year. Higher head pressures equal hotter gas which equals last cooling and more energy consumption.

If I need to clarify anything please let me know.
Hope that helps explain it.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #7

Well darn..now I'm thinking I need to do the same thing on Thursday when I go pick up the 5er and get it ready for travel to FL. Doesn't look like it should take more than 30 mins for both units. I'm game, I'll try it too.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #8

Well looks like this forum yet again sends me up the ladder, anything to improve the setup is worth a try. Stock is boring!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #9

You may be surprised how much dirt you get out of your home condensing units. Washing out condensers is part of our maintenance contracts. Some of the AC units that run year-round when we wash them out in the spring looks like chocolate milk running on the ground.

I'm curious to see if you notice any difference In the air temperature after you wash out the ones on the trailers. Give me a shout back and let me know what you think. More than likely they've never been done. That would be interesting to see what my refrigerant pressure gauges show before and after you get them washed. Just be sure not to use high pressure and don't spray from the side. You don't want to bend the aluminum fins over. Not very difficult of a maintenance item to do .

Old 07-27-2016, 06:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflake View Post
They do the same thin on your AC at your house. The insulation around the evaporator ( The big box) should keep cold air from escaping insuring all the air blows into the trailer. The insulation on the suction line to the compressor (the big copper line) keeps the refrigerant returning to the compressor cold which does two things. 1) The cold refrigerant cools the compressor windings. 2) Keeping the suction line from warming up also translates into lower discharge temp or head pressure leaving the compressor, which helps it run as efficiently as it can.

Also spraying/washing the outdoor coil with water removes dirt and debris keeping head pressure down. You should also wash the outdoor unit at your house once a year. Higher head pressures equal hotter gas which equals last cooling and more energy consumption.

If I need to clarify anything please let me know.
Hope that helps explain it.
Makes sense to me! Give you 3 guesses to what will be my next mod, and the first 2 don't count!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:24 AM   #11

When washing/cleaning a condenser should you use any cleaners or just use water??

lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
When washing/cleaning a condenser should you use any cleaners or just use water??

They do make a cleaner just for it. I buy it from Home Depot for my home units... Not sure of the brand/name offhand but I can look when I get home.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #13

I just finished the mod. Had to hurry as lightning storm was headed toward RV storage lot. Took me 25 mins to do both a/c units.

I didn't have to use my foam pipe insulator, as it was already on the copper tubing?? Bonus for me, as I got done faster...actually, just as it started to rain.

Hopefully it will help the 5er cool down faster. I won't have a verdict until we travel to MS on Saturday and ultimately ending up in FL.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Hopefully it will help the 5er cool down faster. I won't have a verdict until we travel to MS on Saturday and ultimately ending up in FL.
Following this thread as I'll be real interested to know if it helps. Thanks for the update.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #15

Dan

Beat me to it again! Been raining here all day. Haven't been able to do mine yet but hopefully the rain has stopped long enough for me to get on the roof and get it done

Old 07-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Dan

Beat me to it again! Been raining here all day. Haven't been able to do mine yet but hopefully the rain has stopped long enough for me to get on the roof and get it done

Yea, but you got me beat on the tires! I'm nervous about the trip to/from FL with the Rainer's! I keep checking them, both backside and front for any signs, but nothing YET. My goal is to keep them for 1 year and then upgrade.

Sorry to get off topic, now back to a/c's!
Old 07-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #17

Following!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
They do make a cleaner just for it. I buy it from Home Depot for my home units... Not sure of the brand/name offhand but I can look when I get home.
They make a cleaner but if it's like the one I use at work it's very alkaline and can burn skin. I would just flush it with water.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #19

Insulation of ac unit increases cooling?

So the rain let up and got mine done. Like Dan, my copper freon line was already insulated (mostly). I added a little extra to fill in the gaps.

Here you can see both ends of the insulated line are exposed.

Here it is with reflectix and some extra pipe insulation.

First test this weekend in Junction, TX. Highs will be near 100. I'll report my findings as to any performance increase.

BTW, if you do not have a 3 blade fan, you need to swap your fan with the 3 blade one. The earlier fans had problems breaking. The 3 blade fan is also quieter.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflake View Post
They make a cleaner but if it's like the one I use at work it's very alkaline and can burn skin. I would just flush it with water.
Yeah I wouldn't use a coil cleaner without verifying that it's safe for the roof, so good point though for sure.

Like you I'd prolly just use water if I was cleaning the camper...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote