Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #1

Interesting Pex test

Interesting "test" on pex pipe and fittings. First to blow was the push to connect sharkbite. Perhaps, given the range of water pressure you may run into, the push to connect is NOT the best choice.. the only fitting to fail was the push to connect fitting, otherwise the pipe blew first, albeit most at pressures far exceeding anything you will run into (300 to 500 PSI).

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Site Team

I am using mostly 3/4 pex to the 1/2 line coming down from the faucets. I am using a copper 4 way thru manifold to distribute the lines at a common junction. Of all the connections only 3 are shark bite push-ons and the rest are crimped 3/4" or 1/2" pex. All fittings are brass.

The video was often mentioning that any of the connectors would handle more pressure than the pipes so I'm not concerned.

My house is 80+ years old and the galvanized pipe was run in the attic when the home was originally piped for water. It's way past time for a upgrade.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I am using mostly 3/4 pex to the 1/2 line coming down from the faucets. I am using a copper 4 way thru manifold to distribute the lines at a common junction. Of all the connections only 3 are shark bite push-ons and the rest are crimped 3/4" or 1/2" pex. All fittings are brass.

The video was often mentioning that any of the connectors would handle more pressure than the pipes so I'm not concerned.

My house is 80+ years old and the galvanized pipe was run in the attic when the home was originally piped for water. It's way past time for a upgrade.

Yes any of the pex connectors except for the push connectors didn't fail, the pipe failed. But the push to connect fitting failed with little pressure. Last year the campground we were at had water pressure of 140 lbs. Due mainly because the city had to push the water up the mountain. This may of been enough pressure to cause failure in push to connect shark bite fittings. While not typical water pressure, it's not that unusual in mountainous areas, especially in the West. Just a FYI. I don't use push to connect fittings, so Im not concerned.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote