Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2021, 01:25 PM   #1

Inverter brand?

I am looking for recommendations on what brand of pure sine wave inverter to buy in the 1000-1300 watt range. I plan on replacing our microwave with a Panasonic Inverter brand, so when we set it at 50% the actual wattage used goes down instead of just cycling full power on and off. The microwave is the only thing I plan to run off this inverter with the exception of possibly a small fan. I’ve bought and used MSW inverters before, but I want a PSW unit for this project. Thanks in advance. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:43 PM   #2

Personally I would look at Xantrex, just my preference based on prior use and reputation. This is not "pure sine wave", but it is designed for RV appliances and ran our SAMSUNG with an INVERTER COMPRESSOR just fine.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...inverters.aspx
Old 01-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I am looking for recommendations on what brand of pure sine wave inverter to buy in the 1000-1300 watt range. I plan on replacing our microwave with a Panasonic Inverter brand, so when we set it at 50% the actual wattage used goes down instead of just cycling full power on and off. The microwave is the only thing I plan to run off this inverter with the exception of possibly a small fan. I’ve bought and used MSW inverters before, but I want a PSW unit for this project. Thanks in advance. Jay
I have one of those Panasonic inverter Microwaves in my house, it cooks really well. Here is a point to keep in mind that many may not know, most microwaves reference cooking power, mine being 1250 watts, however the electrical power consumption on high power is higher than the 1250w cooking power and is actually 1460 watts (according to the label). I have a 2500w aims inverter, not that I purchased it with any particular microwave in mind. I would suggest whatever inverter you get, you get one large enough to have room (power) to spare, as if you run one at 100% of its ability, you run a risk of overheating and a short life out of it. Also, a PSW inverter is the way to go, especially for a microwave ~CA
Old 01-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #4

Victron PSW inverters seem to be popular with the van life and off grid crowds.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:59 PM   #5

X2 on Xantrex. I have one that powers my residential fridge and it is a pure sinewave WITH a battery charger built in. When I'm plugged into hair power it charges the batteries it pulls power from when not connected to shore power.
I recently had a cooling fan go bad, got loud, and Xantrex replaced it, warranty.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:14 PM   #6

I have a Xantrex pure sin for my house, to power our furnace in the winter months when we loose power. Very nice unit.

If possible purchase the microwave first, and use an amp meter to determine which size unit best fits your needs. Buying an inverter to big, and you can waste a lot of power, on the internal systems.

Regarding your fan. If your boondocking and do not have a good source to recharge your batteries, I would strongly consider purchasing a 12V fan. It will be more energy efficient, as you are not wasting power during the inverting process.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:08 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was basing getting a PSW inverter on you tube videos showing how microwaves don’t do very well with a MSM unit. I am aware that a microwave with, say 900 watts of cooking power will take way more than 900 watts to run. When I was checking our factory installed microwave to see what happens at 50% power, IIRC it came in at 1200+ watts on my Kill-A-Watt meter. My thinking for getting a microwave that uses lower wattage at 50% power is that it would be easier on the battery bank. Especially a AGM bank. A 60 amp draw for 5 minutes would be better than a 120 amp draw for 2.5 minutes. I agree with the idea to get the microwave first, and test it for input watts before selecting a final inverter size. Anyone that has further thoughts please chime in. Jay.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #8

I talked to a very nice, professional support person at Xantrex. He recommended that I not buy their PROwatt series of PSW inverters for this project because they don’t offer much “headroom” for the start up surge of a microwave. Instead he recommended a Freedom X (way out of my budget but I bet a nice unit) in a PSW inverter or a 1500 MSM inverter that the sell. Just wanted to pass this along to everyone here what I found. Jay
Old 09-14-2021, 10:36 PM   #9

Thanks again everyone. I just ordered a Renolgy 2000 PSW from Amazon. When I get it installed, I’ll report back on its performance. Jay