Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #1

Inverter in (DC) lighter plugin - issues

Hi all,

I've had a few inverters in my lifetime, and a few trailers with the cigarette lighter plugin. I have had some trouble running a very low (15W) TV that came with my Jayco 294BHS and a DVD on the iRV Technologies system. I'm not trying to run a microwave\blender\hair dryer or anything wreckless like that. The problem is that it just shuts off, the inverter beeps, and I can't get it to come back (even with just the TV plugged in - shouldn't be even close to causing the inverter problems). I've had some success with an android box, but even that sometimes shuts off (even after a day of full solar charge - so I don't think it's related to low batteries).

I've heard that the lighter jack itself could be the problem - so my questions:

a.) Would a pure sine wave (300W) inverter make a difference here, or would it be the same problem with the lighter socket? Amazon has a decent-reviewed 300W one, I'm just skeptical it will still be a problem with the lighter plugin.

b.) I'm currently running a small 150W inverter that should more than handle the wattage requirement of what I'm trying to do, but is it possible that I'd have more luck with even less watts (i.e. 75W)?

c.) Am I better off figuring out a way to run an inverter directly from my battery (if so, what is the point of the lighter socket if it can't even handle a very low amount of power?)

d.) Is there something on the AC\DC converter box where an inverter could be easily utilized? Seems like overkill based on what I need.

My challenge is I'm literally only caring about being able to run a TV and android box (or DVD, but either option is fine).

Any help would be great - thanks.
mani55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #2

First things first. Can your battery(ies) handle the power draw off the inverter and is the 12VDC circuit you are plugging into rated for the power draw of the inverter?

Until you answer those questions you are spinning your wheels.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #3

They are 2x6V batteries, they are higher end. I can't (and wouldn't know how) to answer those questions specifically but I would imagine that the batteries are fine. What I don't know is how to figure out the max allowed power draw of the 12VDC (lighter) plug that I'm using.

Worth mentioning: It quite often (say, 80% of the time) works fine.

Edit: I've read that they aren't rated for very high wattage, which is why I'm wondering if going with a lower power draw would yield better success? It was my understanding that 150W is a maximum, but I'm wondering if I'd have more luck with something more approprioate for a lighter socket that (typically) has a lower power rating.
mani55 is offline   Reply With Quote