Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
That's why the Champion Inverter/Generator 2800/3100 watt comes in handy.
I only use 2 group 27 deep cycle batteries (for now until they are end off life) and will replace with 2 Golf kart deep cycle batteries.
I just run the generator for an hour and sometimes two to keep the batteries full. Have a full monitor system. Even the solar panel helps with charging. We always camp of the grid or when visiting family on shore power.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
That's why the Champion Inverter/Generator 2800/3100 watt comes in handy.
I only use 2 group 27 deep cycle batteries (for now until they are end off life) and will replace with 2 Golf kart deep cycle batteries.
I just run the generator for an hour and sometimes two to keep the batteries full. Have a full monitor system. Even the solar panel helps with charging. We always camp of the grid or when visiting family on shore power.
Just curious. When operating the inverter mode, does the engine run? Does it make any noise?
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The Fridge can run on the 2 -27's awhile and mostly run it when traveling which the truck will keep up the batteries. When camping it is mostly on propane. The microwave that's a total different story it will draw the batteries down in 20 minutes. But usual it is used for warming up something. When camping off the grid a person can run his inverter/genny as long as he wants unless you have neighbors then courtesy is in place. When you go east and take highway 3 stop by, I know a nice spot where you can dry camp with a creek. or you can park in my driveway and enjoy Sparwood.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post
I understand there're a lot of full hookup campground across the country, but you never know. In case they are full, or sometime we found a beautiful place but only can be dry-camping, then we can still survive. Of course, we may still have some backups. Just trying to wise to use the resources and prepare for it.
Being "wise and preparing" for what you might run into can easily be covered by having 2 6V cart batteries [not 6] and a small to medium size inverter to run the low power draw devices. An occasional over nite without hookups isn't going to task the system. What you have described as a "plan" is packing a full wetsuit and scuba gear just incase you drop your keys in the creek behind your site. Major overkill. Planning a season long stay at an offgrid site might better justify a bigger battery bank but all of this could be easily handled with 2 batteries, basic solar set up if practical, and a small generator to keep the batteries charged as necessary.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Being "wise and preparing" for what you might run into can easily be covered by having 2 6V cart batteries [not 6] and a small to medium size inverter to run the low power draw devices. An occasional over nite without hookups isn't going to task the system. What you have described as a "plan" is packing a full wetsuit and scuba gear just incase you drop your keys in the creek behind your site. Major overkill. Planning a season long stay at an offgrid site might better justify a bigger battery bank but all of this could be easily handled with 2 batteries, basic solar set up if practical, and a small generator to keep the batteries charged as necessary.
Thank you for your suggestion.

I guess you're right. My setup is over-killed. :P

I personally tried not to use generator, because I tried not to bother others too much. And, I read that the battery will be shorten it's life if under 25-30%. Therefore, even with 6 batteries, only the 2 batteries' capacity is use-able. That's why I came up with 6 instead of 4.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
If your charger/inverter does not have an automatic transfer you may want to consider the 30 Amp "Automatic Transfer Relay" unit on Amazon. Less than $110. You can wire it between shore power, your inverter and the TT's electrical control center.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

What is the different between this automatic transfer relay and a manual 2-way switch?

Would a simple 2-ways switch do the job too?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion.

I guess you're right. My setup is over-killed. :P

I personally tried not to use generator, because I tried not to bother others too much. And, I read that the battery will be shorten it's life if under 25-30%. Therefore, even with 6 batteries, only the 2 batteries' capacity is use-able. That's why I came up with 6 instead of 4.
With reasonable usage, 2 6V's will last you 3-5 days and while driving you will recharge to full charge after each day in camp. Exactly where do you intend to store your 6 batteries? Somewhere out of the box you have gotten a whole lot of wrong and bad advice. I've tried to get you pointed in a better decision to no avail. Good luck and enjoy.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
What is the different between this automatic transfer relay and a manual 2-way switch?

Would a simple 2-ways switch do the job too?

Thanks.
On the 110VAC side you will need a 2 way switch that will handle 30Amps. Your AC will be running through it when in shore-power mode and at times your microwave with AC. A simple 2 way switch will not handle that current. Safety first!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
On the 110VAC side you will need a 2 way switch that will handle 30Amps. Your AC will be running through it when in shore-power mode and at times your microwave with AC. A simple 2 way switch will not handle that current. Safety first!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
This switch rate working voltage up to 440v and 32A. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
aa.jpg  
Old 05-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
With reasonable usage, 2 6V's will last you 3-5 days and while driving you will recharge to full charge after each day in camp. Exactly where do you intend to store your 6 batteries? Somewhere out of the box you have gotten a whole lot of wrong and bad advice. I've tried to get you pointed in a better decision to no avail. Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks. I understand your point.

In most case, I will have at least 5-7 ppl using the trailer while camping. That's why I want it packed.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #31

I left my factory converter in-place. I installed my 300w of solar and my controller charger. This way I can charge from either shore power or solar.

I then installed a 2000w “whole-house” inverter. From the inverter, I hard wired an outlet to right next to my shore power connection. If I’m going to dry-camp, I just plug the trailer into itself with a short pigtail. Turn the battery charger breaker off in the converter, and switch the fridge to propane only. When I turn on the inverter, I have 120v at all outlets, and can run anything except the fridge, the microwave, and the A/C. If I add another pair of 6v golf cart batteries, I will probably have enough juice capacity to run the microwave.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote