Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2022, 12:00 PM   #1

Iota ILC-3045 charger question

2006 Jayflight 29BHS with Iota ILC-3045 converter/power center.

I recently replaced my lead acid batteries with 2-100AH LiFeP04 batteries connected in parallel, and have 400 watts of solar panels. My Victron IP65 12 volt 15 "smart" charger works well to charge the LiFePO4 batteries from shore power. I want to avoid replacing the converter/charger which works fine, I've overspent my budget and am getting heartburn. Iota tells me my specific converter can't be readily upgraded to deal with LiFePO4, has to be replaced. It won't charge LiFePO4 to 100%.

I am planning two multi-month boondocking trips, don't use a tremendous amount of power but am curious about running the trailer off my 1000 watt inverter by simply plugging in its shore power cord to an outdoor outlet I installed that's wired directly to the inverter. I want to disable the charger portion of the converter with a switch if I do this to avoid unnecessary power draw to charge the batteries while I'm using them to power the trailer. Kinda circular, unfortunately, too bad "perpetual motion" charging is only a pipe dream.

Has anyone done this? Can anyone tell me which wires are best used to install the switch? I'm thinking input 120 volt would require less amperage of a switch than output 12 volt to the charger. I'll contact Iota again but the info they sent me refers to a later version of my converter. I'll pull the converter back out and check it again, maybe I can determine this a second time around. Thanks for any input! The circled numbered wires are from a query I sent to Iota re; their IQ4 module that's not usable with my converter/charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Converter1.jpg   Converter2.jpg  
Old 04-22-2022, 12:41 PM   #2

What you want to look for is the 120v power input to the converter and place a switch inline with that connection. I am not sure, but I seem to remember and believe that mine has a 120v breaker just for the converter that could be turned off and I suspect yours may also have a separate breaker as well just for the converter. ~CA
Old 04-22-2022, 05:11 PM   #3

Trying to keep it simple

I like simple, I understand tracing a wire from the breaker, but the only 120v breaker hinting at a charger is marked "converter utility", that's a bit unclear in its title. Maybe it does turn the power off to the charger but is that all it kills? I'll try killing that breaker, but that doesn't save the effort of checking for power to all wires with a VOM before and after killing the breaker, and/or removing the charger from the power center and digging in. I was hoping that, because the wires are numbered, maybe someone with prior experience or a wiring diagram could give me a head start. I'm waiting for a response from Iota but not holding my breath. I'll figure it out, one way or another. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Converter4.jpg   Converter5.jpg   Converter6.jpg  
Old 04-23-2022, 06:34 AM   #4

Brain phart

OK, I really over-thought and confused myself yesterday, then wrote those posts. Getting senile.....
I had already installed a battery disconnect switch with the new solar system. Duh.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies!