Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #1

It’s here! Watch the first drive of an EV RV!

Revisiting the original post I did a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon this YouTube video of an RV show in Europe. They show this EV production conversion RV!

See you at the charging station!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:58 PM   #2

And if you charge it in Texas, it'll cost you as much to charge it as it did to buy it.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:57 PM   #3

This is great. Like all electric vehicles, this will one will probably be very effective around town.

And we all know that nobody ever takes an RV on a long cross-country trip (says the Michigander, in an RV, on the Gulf Coast).
Old 02-23-2021, 07:23 AM   #4

I draw the green line when they start to recycle the gray and black tanks...
Old 02-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #5

Oh so much fun. Load up & drive a couple blocks to your local scenic Walmart campground then the few blocks back home. Exciting getaway in your rv. Heck,I can drive 600 miles & still be in Tx.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:40 PM   #6

Did y'all watch without sound? It has a range of about 245 miles (tops I'm sure) but what town won't that get you out of?
That's not bad for a first attempt, good enough for short family trips or further if ya stop to recharge.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
good enough for short family trips or further if ya stop to recharge.
That's the question. How long is charge time?
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
I draw the green line when they start to recycle the gray and black tanks...
Ha Ha Ha Ha
Old 03-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
That's the question. How long is charge time?
Battery technology is changing so quick. I saw an article the other day about a EV car that will fully charge in one minute and had like a 350 mile range. But would I ever waste my money on a EV RV, Hell no.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
Did y'all watch without sound? It has a range of about 245 miles (tops I'm sure) but what town won't that get you out of?
That's not bad for a first attempt, good enough for short family trips or further if ya stop to recharge.
The reason for the limited 245 mile range was that they only had a 244 mile extension cord.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #11

Hummph, lessee, 245 miles. Then a 5 hour charge time.
4 hour travel day....... then stop for the night.

Boy, it'll take forever to get anywhere.

I average 8-10 hours travel time in a day.
stop at about 200 miles, spend about 15 - 30 minutes for gas and bathroom breaks and move on.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:23 PM   #12

Here is the extended range option.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:25 PM   #13

Maybe recharge from the solar powered generator? Just plug in an extention cord? Oh, wait. That would be perpetual motion, huh?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Nope, just need a Powerboost F150 dingy.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:01 PM   #15
TWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Hummph, lessee, 245 miles. Then a 5 hour charge time.
4 hour travel day....... then stop for the night.

Boy, it'll take forever to get anywhere.

I average 8-10 hours travel time in a day.
stop at about 200 miles, spend about 15 - 30 minutes for gas and bathroom breaks and move on.

It's possible, with the right charging point and car, to charge an electric car to 80% capacity in around a half an hour (source), if the batteries have not been drained below around 20% capacity remaining. So in short, up to 60% of the capacity can be returned to the batteries, in the correct conditions, in a half-hour.

The trouble with this is in order to make that 60% be something usable like 300 miles, then the total range of the vehicle if driven from 100% to bordering on 0% is 500 miles. This means for a day-trip, the first leg can be around 400 miles, and each subsequent leg 300 miles, where no leg of the trip dips into 'emergency' range of the lowest 20%. The problem here is that the cost for enough battery capacity to go 500 miles in-total is staggering, especially for a gigantic box on wheels.

If battery prodution capacity ramps up then this may change, as the battery is the single most expensive component of an electric car, but for now I don't see us being quite there yet when it comes to vehicles intended for highway use, and that's before considering that we're in the middle of a format-war when it comes to electric vehicle charging with three competing and somewhat-incompatible standards, and that some places in the rocky mountains still lack vehicle charging within even a 300 mile range.

Now, if battery prices plummet and charging stations become significantly more widespread, where large Class-A type RVs end up equipped to go 1000 miles on a charge and can power all of their luxury appliances without requiring anyone to handle gas, diesel, or propane, then I could see electrics becoming viable for the largest and most expensive motorhomes. if a technology takes off with the big ones then it might eventually make its way down to more pedestrian offerings. For use basically limited to paved roads this could be quite nice, though likely it stil wouldn't work for those that like dirt roads and four wheeling.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:52 AM   #16

Wait until you get stuck in traffic on something like the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel and have 45 minutes of battery power left on a 90 degree day with a 2 hour delay.... You will be the "envy" of every person stuck behind you!!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
But that's not going to be available in California because they are stopping the sales of anything with an internal combustion engine and if you decide to sneak out of that state they are going to send the tax police after you.

One thing that nobody has really touched on is how much is it going to cost to charge these EV's? If they have a range of 400mi, it'll cost thousands of dollars just to get out of Texas at the rate they charge for power. I can also see these charging stations will have a "surcharge" if your car isn't "in network" like these stupid ATM machines do. And even a quick charge of a half hour time frame, these charging stations will take up many times more real estate than a typical gas station and dont forget everyone is going to have to be a minimum 6' away thanks to China's release of COVID, .....
The hits just keep on coming!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Wait until you get stuck in traffic on something like the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel and have 45 minutes of battery power left on a 90 degree day with a 2 hour delay.... You will be the "envy" of every person stuck behind you!!!
I agree, you’ll need to carry a backup, like a power supply or solar gen! Or an LP backup gen!
Old 03-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #19
TWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post

Wait until you get stuck in traffic on something like the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel and have three gallons of gasoline left on a 90 degree day with a 2 hour delay.... You will be the "envy" of every person stuck behind you!!!

My point is every powertrain has its challenges. I don't happen to think that electric is quite ready for the big-time for long-distance driving, but it's not like one can set-off in a gas- or diesel-powered rig without considering range, traffic/road conditions, and fuel stops. It's true that with electric vehicles one can't simply pour more range into a tank in a matter of a couple minutes. If battery costs come down appreciably then it may well be that vehicles intended for long-distance driving are constructed with enough range that any running out of range falls squarely on the driver for poor planning, rather than on some inherent limitation of the platform. For vehicles intended to be used on paved or gravel roads this would be just fine.

Plus there's another aspect to consider. If you have an electric RV with a range of say, 1000 miles, you might end up plugging your RV into your home electrical system for when it's just sitting, both to help exercise the batteries and to serve as power storage for your home. The power capacity to run an RV for that kind of range would be perfect to charge-up when power demand is lowest and thus cheapest, so that power could be consumed by the household when power demand is highest and normally the price per kWh is highest.

A test-article with a limited range serves as a proof of concept. It's pretty obvious that this wouldn't work in the United States. It might work in Europe but even then only for some, certainly not universally, and they know that.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #20

The only way this makes sense to me is to have an RV with regeneration, like Solar banks or hydrogen fuel cell, which I think is a smarter alternative to Lithium powered vehicles.