Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Jayco climate shield

Hey,
Was out camping all last week with a big group of different campers. The weather dropped down to -10 Celsius at night and my water froze in my eagle 324bhts every night. Thawed and worked again early in the morning so wasn't a big deal but other campers with us without climate shield were fine. One was a whitehawk 29sqb others were way cheaper brands with no type of climate shield whatsoever... Only ones that froze was mine and a Jayco pinnacle 5th wheel with the same package. Obviously this is just a sales gimmick in my oppinion I'm not impressed!!! Seemed like it froze between the pump and the tank cause pump would run but couldn't pressure up.
jrichard1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Disappointed to hear that. That was one of the reasons we ordered a pinnacle. Still waiting at this point.
Ever check the belly to see if there are any openings to let drafts in?
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

Ya my water tank is at the back and in going to go through the whole underbelly and insulate and seal it tight... There is a good size hole at the back where the propane lines go in. Things with climate shield you would expect to already be done for you from factory I would say.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I have been out at -10 C and still everything was working in the morning. There must have been enough heat loss from the interior to keep things going. I have no enclosed underbelly.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #5

Did you use the propane furnace exclusively or did you also run some electric heaters?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

I'm not sure if I have the same thing as you, but I have a 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB with the Thermal Package installed. My underbelly is enclosed and I have extra layers of insulation built into the side walls. According to a representative who emailed me from Jayco my Jay Flight would has a heat duct blowing warm air from the furnace to my tank area. But like Troutslayer said above, if you are using your electric heater instead of your gas furnace you're not heating the tanks beneath your RV. You must use the gas furnace.

P.S. My dealer swears (emphasis on the word "dealer") that I should be fine to 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't know if I believe him, so I'm going to try to keep everything about 15 to 20 degrees just to be safe.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #7

Ya we would use electric heater during the day but solely furnace at night when it froze up. Looked under by the tank and ya it's got some massive holes you can see the water lines from outside. Stuffed extra insulation all in and under the lines and along frame rail. Gonna deal every crack and Seam with spray foam and silicon should be good after that!!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #8

I definately recommend going through the underbelly of all campers as soon as you get them and seal them up. Not only for cold but our furry little rodents too!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichard1987 View Post
Hey,
Was out camping all last week with a big group of different campers. The weather dropped down to -10 Celsius at night and my water froze in my eagle 324bhts every night. Thawed and worked again early in the morning so wasn't a big deal but other campers with us without climate shield were fine. One was a whitehawk 29sqb others were way cheaper brands with no type of climate shield whatsoever... Only ones that froze was mine and a Jayco pinnacle 5th wheel with the same package. Obviously this is just a sales gimmick in my oppinion I'm not impressed!!! Seemed like it froze between the pump and the tank cause pump would run but couldn't pressure up.
Well, I have Climate Shield and have been colder than above statement, did the duct to the underbelly work (open?) Also at those temps we just got a new Jayco T/H and added the extreme weather package. Heated lines and tanks.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #10

Didn't realize there was an extreme weather package... How can I find the vent for the underbelly to check if it's open?
Old 10-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #11

My Designer has what they called Polar Barrier. I do use my furnace when well below freezing and have had zero problems down to 8F (-13C) several times. I do keep my fresh water tank full when cold and use it vs outside water. I unhook my water hose and pressure reducer and store them inside until warm again or until more fresh water is needed in the tank. Works well for 5 years full time.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #12

Just bought a new North Point which has this Climate Shield package, I think their claims of the internal temps that can be achieved without any heat running are a joke. Had rig out in 30 degree temps and inside was like 48-50. That said, this package is probably better than nothing.
Cliffawilson111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffawilson111 View Post
I think their claims of the internal temps that can be achieved without any heat running are a joke.
???? They have never said without heat. The claim is with the furnace in operation the unit will function down to 0..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichard1987 View Post
Didn't realize there was an extreme weather package... How can I find the vent for the underbelly to check if it's open?
Look up in the storage compartment where the heating duct runs. There should be a heating vent with louvres on it somewhere in the compartment.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #15

I bought my TT with the the "thermal package" cuz I like to camp in the early winter up here in Canada. Last fall when the temps dropped I was inspecting my furnace to make sure it was running properly and noticed there was NO DUCTING GOING TO THE UNDERBELLY(like the thermal package should).. I contacted Jayco and they said that my trailer should have it but they must have "missed it" during the build(good quality control).. So I took it to my dealer on the way home and jayco had them install the ducting..
Long story short: double check you underbelly to ensure they installed the appropriate options you paid for(and may not have got)..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:59 PM   #16

NorthPoint also has two ducts that lay in the underbelly one blows back to the fresh water and kitchen water lines and kitche grey tank, other blows on the water pump and the area behind the basement wall. The vent in your storage area roof helps heat the storage and your master bedroom floor and the black and grey tank.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #17

Curious, at least on the travel trailers, has anybody seen what the underbelly "ducting" consists of on a Jay Flight? I was curious, ran ours for a while when it was cold, felt of the chloroplast underbelly and "thought" it might have felt a shade warmer, but was too hard to tell. I figured the duct was somewhere between the forward freshwater tanks and the gray / black tanks in the rear, but don't really know. I haven't pulled the underbelly down yet, but I guess eventually I'll have to. VERY aggravating to pull it down. Anybody know.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #18

I haven't, but can now officially confirm I have tested mine to 17 degrees above zero without a problem. I did put a small space heater at night in the bathroom, which has no ducting, but beyond that, that's the only precaution I took. AND making sure to the propane heater for the rest of the cabin.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:34 PM   #19

Climate Shield

do all 2022 jayco North points have Climate Shield?
oldcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcart View Post
do all 2022 jayco North points have Climate Shield?
Yes, it has been a standard for numerous years.