Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

Jayco climate shield

Hey,
Was out camping all last week with a big group of different campers. The weather dropped down to -10 Celsius at night and my water froze in my eagle 324bhts every night. Thawed and worked again early in the morning so wasn't a big deal but other campers with us without climate shield were fine. One was a whitehawk 29sqb others were way cheaper brands with no type of climate shield whatsoever... Only ones that froze was mine and a Jayco pinnacle 5th wheel with the same package. Obviously this is just a sales gimmick in my oppinion I'm not impressed!!! Seemed like it froze between the pump and the tank cause pump would run but couldn't pressure up.

jrichard1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #2

Disappointed to hear that. That was one of the reasons we ordered a pinnacle. Still waiting at this point.
Ever check the belly to see if there are any openings to let drafts in?

Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

Ya my water tank is at the back and in going to go through the whole underbelly and insulate and seal it tight... There is a good size hole at the back where the propane lines go in. Things with climate shield you would expect to already be done for you from factory I would say.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I have been out at -10 C and still everything was working in the morning. There must have been enough heat loss from the interior to keep things going. I have no enclosed underbelly.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #5

Did you use the propane furnace exclusively or did you also run some electric heaters?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #6

I'm not sure if I have the same thing as you, but I have a 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB with the Thermal Package installed. My underbelly is enclosed and I have extra layers of insulation built into the side walls. According to a representative who emailed me from Jayco my Jay Flight would has a heat duct blowing warm air from the furnace to my tank area. But like Troutslayer said above, if you are using your electric heater instead of your gas furnace you're not heating the tanks beneath your RV. You must use the gas furnace.

P.S. My dealer swears (emphasis on the word "dealer") that I should be fine to 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't know if I believe him, so I'm going to try to keep everything about 15 to 20 degrees just to be safe.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #7

Ya we would use electric heater during the day but solely furnace at night when it froze up. Looked under by the tank and ya it's got some massive holes you can see the water lines from outside. Stuffed extra insulation all in and under the lines and along frame rail. Gonna deal every crack and Seam with spray foam and silicon should be good after that!!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #8

I definately recommend going through the underbelly of all campers as soon as you get them and seal them up. Not only for cold but our furry little rodents too!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichard1987 View Post
Hey,
Was out camping all last week with a big group of different campers. The weather dropped down to -10 Celsius at night and my water froze in my eagle 324bhts every night. Thawed and worked again early in the morning so wasn't a big deal but other campers with us without climate shield were fine. One was a whitehawk 29sqb others were way cheaper brands with no type of climate shield whatsoever... Only ones that froze was mine and a Jayco pinnacle 5th wheel with the same package. Obviously this is just a sales gimmick in my oppinion I'm not impressed!!! Seemed like it froze between the pump and the tank cause pump would run but couldn't pressure up.
Well, I have Climate Shield and have been colder than above statement, did the duct to the underbelly work (open?) Also at those temps we just got a new Jayco T/H and added the extreme weather package. Heated lines and tanks.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg 6 AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...albums843.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #10

Didn't realize there was an extreme weather package... How can I find the vent for the underbelly to check if it's open?