Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2023, 08:42 AM   #1

Arrow Jayco Eagle Inverter Question

2023 Jayco Eagle 330rsts

My Eagle came with solar and an inverter that powers cretin plugs throughout the trailer, There is what I understand a transfer switch that will direct power from shore or from the inverter but when the inverter is on it only powers cretin plugs is there a way to have the inverter power all the plugs if so what would it require to make happen?
GreenGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 08:58 AM   #2

Your inverter has only so much power rating. For example, 1,000 watts or 2,000 watts. If it was wired to the whole system it would be easily overloaded.
Generally, they are wired to things that are often wanted/needed while camping off grid. For example, TV outlet, sometimes microwave or counter top, bedroom for CPAP machines.

Even with these limited outlets being powered up you could overload and blow the fuses or breakers on the unit by trying to microwave while you made coffee at the same time and watching tv.

Plus it would cost more, and Jayco never does stuff that costs more.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:57 PM   #3

Your RV has a 50 amp 120/240 volt system. Typical size generator for that system is 5500 watts. So, assume a minimum of a 5500 watt inverter. Now this inverter must be able to pass through 120/240 volts and also produce 120/240 volts. So, you may need two inverters in order to do that. It would be very involved to change what you have to what you are asking as well as pricey! And, you would most likely have to double or triple your battery capacity depending on AC and appliances connected.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 04:32 PM   #4

I donít know about the newer Eagles but my 2019 came with a 1200W inverter. Only outlet I could find thatís powered is the residential fridge outlet. Do the new ones have a larger inverter to more outlets? Would be nice.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I donít know about the newer Eagles but my 2019 came with a 1200W inverter. Only outlet I could find thatís powered is the residential fridge outlet. Do the new ones have a larger inverter to more outlets? Would be nice.
If they have the solar package they do.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGecko View Post
2023 Jayco Eagle 330rsts

My Eagle came with solar and an inverter that powers cretin plugs throughout the trailer, There is what I understand a transfer switch that will direct power from shore or from the inverter but when the inverter is on it only powers cretin plugs is there a way to have the inverter power all the plugs if so what would it require to make happen?
I was actually just discussing this in a thread I started. I was after doing the same thing.
A lot of people went straight too, "you need to get a new inverter and batteries". I took the cheaper route. I removed the passthrough cable that fed the inverter prep 15 amp breaker. (It is used as a pass through feature so that is why it will only given power to the TV's, outside kitchen fridge, and inside fridge). I ran a 6/3 + 8/1 cable to the factory inverter. I combined the black and red (the two hot wires) at a junction box right at the back of the inverter. I then ran that to a transfer switch. I also wired the converter to the shore power side of the transfer switch with its own 15amp breaker/ small breaker box. That way I don't have to remember to flip that breaker.
This only cost me about $250 and now I am set up for a future larger inverter and battery bank.

I know it is only an 1800w inverter (which is the same size you have) but I don't need a lot of power. Just trying to run a baby monitor in the mid bunk and prep for a bigger inverter in the future. I also didn't want to run a cable around the outside of the rig.

It works great. Since we are not trying to run AC or the microwave of the inverter our next upgrade if probably a battery shunt/ monitor, DC to DC converter and lithium batteries.

Here is the link to my thread. There are pictures at the end.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ts-104094.html
Hope this helps.
FordRanger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 02:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I don’t know about the newer Eagles but my 2019 came with a 1200W inverter. Only outlet I could find that’s powered is the residential fridge outlet. Do the new ones have a larger inverter to more outlets? Would be nice.
I have the 330RSTS (mine is a 2021) with the 1200 watt inverter for the fridge. It also does light up the plugs on either side of the back couch and the outlets on both sides of the bed (I suspect there is one near the TV too, but haven't looked hard as there are a couple outlets behind it). I assume this is the advertised "CPAP Ready".

I'd check those plugs to see if maybe it already does work.

The part I hate the most is that the circuit breaker for the fridge does absolutely nothing to cut the power when on the inverter. It always has power when the inverter is on... so it makes me wonder what protection is there between the inverter and the plugs (I'm doubting none except for overload protection).

oh and I don't have solar at all... just "solar ready"
waynehead99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, jayco eagle, power plugs, wiring