Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #1

Jayco Jayflight Slide Roof - Is this normal?

So Wife and I have been looking for a used 2018-2019 Jayco 32 BDHS. We like layout, room, colors, quality, weight for our truck, and price point.

We have seen three now that look nice. I am pretty anal, an engineer, and on my third camper, so I go through with a fine comb.

On all three inspections, each have their own quirks I can fix/live with, but the main thing I've found is the rear outside corner of living room slide sets my moisture meter off on 3 of 3. When I look on roof, in all cases it looks like the tape at outside wall of slide peels back on slide roof and maybe this is where it's coming from. The attachment of the rubber to the roof and significant wrinkles also has me scratching my head.

So two questions:

1.) Have others seen this, is it as simple as peel back this black duct tape looking stuff and put 4" eternabond and some caulk and I should be set (last picture is one I found on google of what looks like same idea)?

2.)When looking at slide out roofs, 2 of the 3 camper seem to have loose rubber roof on this slide out at the interior side only. 1 was very wrinkled, the other less wrinkled. Pictures of both below. Both could be pinched and pulled up by hand. Is this normal, or evidence of more water damage and thats it's come unglued? Anyone able to look at theirs?

Was really hoping to move into a Jayco and buy soon (like yesterday), but these inspections are starting to make me re-think.
Attached Thumbnails
lose-seal.jpg   IMG_1200.jpg   IMG_1253.jpg   slide_corner_bump.JPG   slide_corner_meter.JPG  

Attached Images

PureMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #2

If it was mine I would clean it up and apply eternabond. Then I would have slide toppers on it anyway. As far as it leaking its quite possible if it has pulled back the tape.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pure Michigan,

Welcome to JOF

The "last picture" you referenced in your post was of my retired 2005 Jayco Eagle slide roof...., but I did the same Eternabond application on my new 2018 Jay Flight shortly after taking delivery.

In the case of my 2005 Eagle the trim flange screw heads were starting to come through the 7 year old OEM tape..., my 2018 Jay Flight had the cheaper black tape and was an accident waiting to happen. I will say the OEM tape Jayco used back in 2005 was much more robust then the OEM tape being utilized in the last couple of years.

JOF link (Post #1) of my 2005 Eagle Eternabond slide roof application:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ct-9264-2.html

JOF link (Post #58) of my 2018 slide roof:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-51005-6.html

Question 1: I've seen new slides sitting in dealers lots with the black tape peeling. A heated blow dryer will aid in removing the black tape. What my pid doesn't show is that I ran a bead of Dicor caulk along the edge of the Eternabond and the plastic flange face plate. The black tape used by Jayco isn't of Eternabond grade, far from it. I don't believe the roofing material on slide roofs is glued, I could be mistaken.

Question 2: Not a normal condition on a slide roof, especially near the wiper seal. IMO it appears to be a sloppy OEM roofing material install..., a fairly easy installation process to begin with. I would do a water test on the slide roof and check for any interior moisture intrusion (with TT level)...., confirm that the wiper seal and inner bulb seal are restricting moisture intrusion.

Look for small rough 'dimples' on the interior surface of the slide walls/ceiling.., a symptom of moisture exposure. Also check the screwed on metal trim rails that hold the roofing material in place at the ends of the slide for moisture intrusion.., and of course the windows.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #4

Many Thanks Roadrunner and Rustic Eagle.

So I think we are all aligned that if buy one of these, will remove the black outer slide tape, clean it up, and apply combo of Eternabond and dicor caulk at outer corner.

Agree slide roof rubber looks like a sloppy install or broken down glue, rather than water damaged. I will spend time on further inspection of seals as mentioned before making any offers.
But main question is looking for thoughts on should it be fixed or left alone and what exactly would I do....
1.) Perhaps I just attempt to get under loose slide out roof from inside without removing the surface, get glue under it, and flatten out as best I can from top/inside? OR
2.) Should I remove the trim screw piece on one side, try to re-stretch/flatten roof, re-glue, and re-attached the single trim ledge on the one side (this would keep one side and exterior wall sealing/glue untouched?
3.) Completely remove and redo the rubber roof...on 3 I would have to decide on if I'd feel comfortable or have dealer do (does slide need to be removed). I Assume it would probably be $1000-$1500 job at dealer based on phone call.
Thoughts? Many thanks for guidance.

Really having a hard time buying an almost new Jayco that already needs work.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #5

We had a 16 year old Forest River Cardinal that the slide roof material wrinkled similar to what is in the picture with no indication of water issues. Had water problems elsewhere but not related to any wrinkling of the EDPM roof material.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureMichigan View Post
snip.......But main question is looking for thoughts on should it be fixed or left alone and what exactly would I do......snip
As mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if Jayco actually glues the slide roof EDPM roofing material on their slides, I would confirm.

If the wiper seal edge is making contact uniformly along the surface of the EDPM (full length of slide roof) when the slide is "fully" extended, the wrinkles don't restrict water flowing away from the wiper seal, and a slide roof water test confirms no water intrusion..., then IMO you should be ok.

NOTE: Jayco installs a piece of styrofoam underneath the EDPM roofing material that creates a slight rise under the EDPM and insures the wiper seal edge maintains contact with the EDPM surface once the slide is fully extended. I would insure that this condition exists. The styrofoam material is a couple inches wide and runs the length of the slide roof and it appears to be in place based on your photo.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #7

Thanks for confirming they aren't glued down and the info regarding the foam. Makes me feel better on condition of my two favorites!

Now I just need to decide between the 2019 vs 2018 32BHDS I've been looking at:

2018 has a retro fit fireplace (looks nice), the more caramel color interior, and a remote control for slides/awning. Overall nice condition

2019 has slide toppers, the darker brown leather, sleeper sofa vs just flip down, no remote for slides/awning, and a TV (2019 has some minor interior updates to accent lighting, slightly lighter wood around windows, more solid kitchen counter-top outer edge, different drawer pulls, and different back-splash in kitchen)

The slightly newer one is considerably more money and further away so trying to decide....The 2 slide toppers, 40" TV, and sofa option is probably worth about 2k IMO.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #8

If it where me I would buy the newest I could afford... Add slide toppers no matter what. Think of them as your water leakage insurance on the slides. Newer means newer tires as well! Hopefully the gy endurance... Theoretically should have fewer miles on the newer one as well. So less bearing and brake wear. Less weathering on roof and vents. I also would add maxxairII vent covers. Can leave vents open in the rain.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #9

I have the 2019 32bhds. Love it. (Long one time park!!) Our main slide did the same thing. Probably taking back to dealer and have them deal with it. We like the darker Color interior.
Matt14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jay flight 32bhds, rubber roof, slide roof, slide seal rubber