Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #1

Jayco's solution to auto leveling on the Eagle TT's

Jayco introduced auto leveling as a mid year option on their Eagle TT's and I was initially somewhat disappointed that we missed the availability of this system by just a couple of weeks when ours was built. I have been trying for a while now to try and get some information on it and have come up empty so far.

Fast forward to this past Wednesday, and I was finally able to see one at the Tampa RV Super show. It was installed on the same model we own which is a 2017 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS TT.

To my surprise, it wasn't the much higher publicized Lippert Ground Control TT system but rather one that is made by BAL. The only way I found this out was that the tongue jack had a sticker on it that said it was a "BAL LS 5.3 Auto Leveling System". No brochures, no specs available, and no one around to demonstrate the system. So I was left to investigate it on my own.

The system, as far as I could tell, consisted of two typical electric jacks bolted to the frame just behind the wheels that are akin to those used in pretty much all other leveling systems out there and in the front was what looked like a weaker, smaller version of the typical electric "stabilizer" jacks that are already found on the Eagles and of course, the tongue jack itself. I saw no separate control panel so suspect the entire thing is controlled by the buttons on the tongue jack. This is all speculation on my part at this point, but it is all I was able to determine.

Since the front "stabilizers" were NOT actually attached to the frame but rather mounted like most stabilizers already are on a travel trailer, they did nothing to really remove any bounce or sway in the front of the trailer. I also suspect they don't do all that much in leveling but rather left that up to the tongue jack.

So in summary, they are using a 3 point leveling system to level the frame/trailer with a set of standard electric stabilizers in the front. My impression going away was that I was glad I missed out.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
Alp

BAL 5.3 Leveler

We have that system on our 39ft Eagle TT. Having had several campers, I experienced manual scissor cranks, this 5.3 system, and everything in between. Admittingly, it has some quirks and limitations you have to get use to, like everything else, but in my opinion I will never get another camper w/o a similar system. It's the cat's meow when you're leveling off your camper by pushing a few buttons with one hand while holding your beer in the other!t

If you do a lot camping, the time and sweat this system saves pays for it in no time!
Alp is offline   Reply With Quote