Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2024, 11:00 AM   #1

Jensen radio question

Our 2018 Jayco Envoy (Greyhawk sister) has a Jensen JWM1A radio in the bedroom. It has speakers A & B. A is outside B is bedroom area. The galley and the speakers forward of that only work off the truck radio. I would have to put the ignition in acc. to have those speakers while we're set up. Is this normal
I must add that when we purchased this in February the Jensen in dash radio was toast so we had it professionally replaced with a Kenwood. Maybe something was not reconnected then ?
04Roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:33 PM   #2

While mine is older, I have helped others with newer GreyHawks and Redhawks and the radios (as mine is as well) run off of the coach battery and do not require the key to be turned on in order for the radio to play. I suspect yours would be the same and was wired in the more standard manner when the radio was replaced.

I will add that it shouldn't be hard to wire the dash radio to run off of the coach battery and powered all of the time. Likely the hardest part is getting behind the radio to get to all of the wiring. There is a wiring harness already under the dash (again on the GreyHawks and RedHawks, not sure about the Envoys) that is designed for that purpose and where the original radio should get its power from. ~CA

I will add my words "shouldn't be hard" is simply about changing the wires. If you are not familiar with working with a voltage meter and don not have the ability to remove the radio or at least get to the wiring behind it then it certainly could become a challenge to do and would be best done by a radio installer technician.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:22 PM   #3

Thanks for replying . So I'm a bit confused, on a Winnebago I owned and if I'm remembering correctly there was a switch that chose radio operation from the truck battery OR the house battery.
How is that done by Jayco?
And although we took the RV to a audio shop I'm not 100% sure he was qualified. In his defense we opted for I guess what would be a standard radio not a apple play style. We also lost all 3 of our cameras. The dash is just jam packed with wires, which was a battle in itself
Old 05-18-2024, 09:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Roadglide View Post
Thanks for replying . So I'm a bit confused, on a Winnebago I owned and if I'm remembering correctly there was a switch that chose radio operation from the truck battery OR the house battery.
How is that done by Jayco?
And although we took the RV to a audio shop I'm not 100% sure he was qualified. In his defense we opted for I guess what would be a standard radio not a apple play style. We also lost all 3 of our cameras. The dash is just jam packed with wires, which was a battle in itself

Jayco uses a double diode setup that is not clearly diagramed on their schematic. What has been stated over the many years is that the double diode setup will take either the coach battery power or the chassis battery when the key is on (so if the coach battery was not installed the radio would still play from the chassis battery. However, many have reported that if they blow the fuse on the coach battery disconnect solenoid that the radio will no longer play with the key off or on which implies to me that the radio power is from the coach battery only (never tested mine).

I will add that I replaced my radio years back and saw the double diode adapter, but I didn't do any testing with it and I just powered my new radio with the same power wires as the original radio used (which are always on).

Also to add, I wasn't all that worried about investigating the diode harness setup simply because on the Class C's (all the Jayco's class c's that I am aware of) they have a chassis to coach battery connect solenoid that connects the chassis battery to the coach battery whenever the key is on (or when the emergency\aux start button is pressed), which in essence means the radio and the entire coach will be getting it's power from the engine alternator, battery, and the chassis 12v system when the key is on anyway, which also charges the coach battery.

What would be needed is for your radio's always on power wire, and the ignition on power wire, at the radio's wiring harness to be swapped over to the 12v coach power which is at the diode harness tucked into all of those wires. If the cameras are important to you then perhaps another new radio is in order and you can have the power rewired at that time. ~CA
Old 05-19-2024, 06:52 PM   #5

So this is the diagram for the old Jensen radio. I just noticed the lower part has a diagram of the RV and the speakers I mentioned. In your opinion is the cabling going back to the radio going to be via a multi pin cable and therefore probably not going to find a home in the new radio ?
Attached Thumbnails
17161659066353175772963366452975.jpg  
Old 05-21-2024, 06:15 PM   #6

I suspect it is all individual wires going to the radio connector. ~CA
Old 05-21-2024, 07:59 PM   #7

Thank you Craigav !!!! Your responses have been very helpful !!