Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

Kitchen faucet aerator

The aerator on my kitchen faucet doesn't aerate and basically causes the water to splash out of the sink whenever it hits something. I took it off and compared it to the one in my house faucet and it looks like it should work just fine but it doesn't. It isn't plugged up with sediment or anything. I haven't gone down to the RV store to pick up another one yet and was wondering if everybody elses works like mine or does it make a nice gentle bubbly stream.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #2

You might try a new aerator first before tearing your faucet out looking for foreign objects.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 AM   #3

Last night I picked up a new aerator at the BORG and tried it out...no workie. I proceeded to take the faucet cartridges out and see if there was any foreign matter in them or in the faucet body casting. Everything is all clear. I checked the gooseneck and it also was unobstructed. Tonight I'm going to try the local RV repair shop and see if they have one for my faucet. I'll keep you updated.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
The aerator on my kitchen faucet doesn't aerate and basically causes the water to splash out of the sink whenever it hits something. I took it off and compared it to the one in my house faucet and it looks like it should work just fine but it doesn't. It isn't plugged up with sediment or anything. I haven't gone down to the RV store to pick up another one yet and was wondering if everybody elses works like mine or does it make a nice gentle bubbly stream.
Mine works like yours...not sure if they are technically an aerator or a strainer (and if that makes any difference in the design)....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

In my experience an aerator does just that, it entrains air into the stream of water. A strainer only stops particulate.

Today I picked up a small circular screen in the faucet aerator department at the hardware store, next I removed the restrictor plate from the top of the aerator and replaced it with the screen and washer. It helps a bit but I still do not have a bubbly stream like the bathroom faucet provides. I am going to punch out a few circles out of some different sizes of mesh and see what kind of results I get with some finer screen.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #6

I'd be interested in your findings. The DW has been complaining about ours as well.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #7

Ok, here are my test results. I punched out several discs of different mesh screen and some perforated metal. I have 20, 40, 50 and 60 mesh and the perforated has probably 1/32" diameter holes in it. I removed the plastic restrictor plate on top of the aerator and installed one piece of each of the different mesh screens in sequence. My results?? None of them had any effect whatsoever on the bubbliness of the water stream. Perhaps if I make a new countertop this winter I'll test the faucet with house water pressure and see how it performs.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #8

Water pressure has a direct effect on aeration as you begin to close off a spigot... so I ask the question...

City Water = @ 80# +
Well Water = 40-60#
Most RV Water Regulators = 40-50#
RV Water Pump = ????
Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
Water pressure has a direct effect on aeration as you begin to close off a spigot... so I ask the question...

City Water = @ 80# +
Well Water = 40-60#
Most RV Water Regulators = 40-50#
RV Water Pump = ????
Good info but it doesn't explain why the bathroom faucet pukes out wonderful bubbly water and the kitchen faucet doesn't. There are no valves or restrictions in the main lines that serve both faucets.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Good info but it doesn't explain why the bathroom faucet pukes out wonderful bubbly water and the kitchen faucet doesn't. There are no valves or restrictions in the main lines that serve both faucets.
Have you tried swapping the aerators?
Old 06-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #11

Bathroom aerator = female threads. Kitchen aerator = male threads. Yeah, I tried that.

So I decided to talk to my pipefitter buddy at work yesterday and told him the long, long, story with all the details about what I did and so on. He asked me what size the threads were and if they were male or female. He walks back from his bench and says "Here, try this." and hands me an aerator. A fine specimen of an aerator it was...sleek chrome plated machined brass with industrial grade guts, three different screens...she was a beaut!! Took it home screwed it on and BOOM BABY!!! I got an awesome soft bubbly stream!! Problem solved. On Monday I'll ask him where they buy them and post it.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #12

Old 06-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Bathroom aerator = female threads. Kitchen aerator = male threads. Yeah, I tried that.

So I decided to talk to my pipefitter buddy at work yesterday and told him the long, long, story with all the details about what I did and so on. He asked me what size the threads were and if they were male or female. He walks back from his bench and says "Here, try this." and hands me an aerator. A fine specimen of an aerator it was...sleek chrome plated machined brass with industrial grade guts, three different screens...she was a beaut!! Took it home screwed it on and BOOM BABY!!! I got an awesome soft bubbly stream!! Problem solved. On Monday I'll ask him where they buy them and post it.
Be looking forward to that!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #14

OK...here is what I found out. They buy the aerators from Sexauer...a plumbing supply house that caters to hospitals, schools, plants, prisons, and the like. Here is a link to their web page with the aerator that I have. http://www.sexauer.com/Search?keywor...typeAhead=True It's a Spring-Flo 2.2 gpm with 15/16" male threads and has the letters A112-18-1M stamped on it (an ASME standard of some type). Sexauer part #072595. I took the red flow restrictor off of it before I installed it.

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." - Ferris Bueller
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #15

Found it on amazon for $2.25, but they want almost $5 bucks for shipping???

OUCH!!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #16

Yeah, I love that when they charge $5 to ship something that could be stuffed into a padded envelope and dropped in the mail for $1. Something I do when I shop on Amazon, I look for products that qualify for free shipping. I'll keep adding the onesy twosy items to my cart until I reach the $25 threshold and then place the order.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #17

Well I went ahead and ordered one anyway.

Is the red part you took out easy to do??
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Well I went ahead and ordered one anyway.

Is the red part you took out easy to do??
Yup, just pop it out with your fingernail or mini screwdriver. It sets in the I.D. of the washer and isn't held by anything but friction. I think you'll be thrilled with the results!!