Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2021, 06:44 AM   #1

Landing Gear Noise

Have a 26.5 ft 2018 Eagle HT FW. Used it very little but the landing has started making a little bit of noise. Works great but concerning. Do they need to be lubed? My service mechanic says probably not because they are self contained. I am currently on a long road trip but need some opinions. Any help would be appreciated.
Whammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #2

Nobody answers questions on this forum anymore! Especially when a member is in need..not sure why. Disappointed
Old 06-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon View Post
Nobody answers questions on this forum anymore! Especially when a member is in need..not sure why. Disappointed

Hi Whammon, lots of questions and answers every day, in this case I think the reason is that most of us haven't experienced what you are asking about in order to give a good answer. I will try...

On my previous RV (5th wheel) I did replace the gear box for the landing gear and cleaned and lubricated everything. What I found is that the main location for grease is in the gear box where you can't get into easily as it is enclosed (also there are gears in the motor box area as well with grease but not externally accessible), no grease fitting, and comes loaded with grease to start with. The legs themselves (again on mine and likely all are similar) are simply two square tubes which the lower one slips inside the larger upper tube, these legs normally shouldn't need lubricant although I see no harm with a light coat of silicone lube (or graphite) sprayed on them and any excess wiped away to avoid collecting a lot of dust that may stick to the oil. I never lubed the legs on mine. There is also a ring and pinion type of gear (similar to a vehicle rear axle) that turns and drives the shaft that actually raises and lowers the landing legs as well as a nut that the threaded shaft screw of each leg turn against to lift or lower the leg(s). Just an overview of a mechanical 5th wheel leg system, some legs are hydraulic which is not the type I am describing.

To the point now, I have not seen any 5th wheel landing legs with a grease fitting and\or location for end users, as these areas I mentioned do have grease but are enclosed where you can't grease them without disassembly. Having said all of this, there are common issues that cause noise with the landing gear set. The motors commonly go bad with time and can make noise before they go out, the gear boxes go bad as well and can make noises and the same for the pinion gear and screw shaft in each leg. When I replaced my motor and gearbox I also lubricated all of the other moving parts. If you can get to the top of each leg there is likely (possibly) a cap you can take off to lube the top gear (what I called the pinion gear) and as I understand some may have a grease fitting at the top. So to finalize my thoughts here, there isn't much of anything to grease (or lube) without disassembly of the landing leg components, which in part is (likely) why the tech stated there is nothing to lube as it is all enclosed, not that there isn't grease, just that you can't get to it without some disassembly, (in most cases).

What I would do, if you can record the audio of what you are hearing and share that here, that may help. Otherwise I would keep an ear out for changes in the sounds as if it is the gears or motor then it will likely get louder with time, and then when more time allows I would disassemble everything and inspect and lubricate the system (or hire that out). On the other hand, if I could determine for sure where the sound was coming from, I may would simply replace that part (perhaps the motor or gearbox, or pinion and shaft gears. It is hard to know without listening to yours and hearing the sound and isolating the location the sound is coming from.

I have known some RV'rs to carry a spare motor and a spare gearbox as they certainly do go out and often make noises before they do. In summary, there is nothing open (accessible) for you to lube or grease with the exception that some landing legs may have a grease fitting on the top for the pinion gear which you can check for but I suspect most do not. If you can add a few more details, perhaps an audio\video file or further describe what you are hearing that may help, otherwise I would just keep an ear out for changes and try to get it serviced in the off season, unless it continues to get louder then I would be more concerned that it may not last much longer without repair. Now would be a good time to make sure that if you have a tool and option to raise the legs in case the motor goes out that you are aware of how to do that. ~CA
Old 06-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #4

One other thought to share, not about lubrication but what I experienced with my landing gear. Every time my 5th wheel RV batteries where low and especially when they were going bad, raising the RV would make a groaning sound as if something was bad wrong with the motor or gears, but the sound only occured when the batteries were low or going bad so I discovered new and fully charged batteries resolved that issue. I would check your batteries if you have a voltage meter to make sure that the batteries are not low and causing the sound you are hearing. ~CA
Old 06-24-2021, 12:00 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply…batteries are new and I always make sure it hooked up to my running truck when I operate the gear. I might be a little sensitive to this stuff as I’m a rookie to a fifth wheel…ha! For now, guess I’ll keep raising and lower until things become pretty obvious…thanks again
Old 06-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #6

Do u have a picture of the tool I would need to raise or lower them manually? Might already have one but don’t know what it looks like or where to use it…
Old 06-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #7

My 5th wheel was not a Jayco, however the landing gear for mine was made by Lippert and they provide parts for a lot of RV manufactures. I will share two links, the first one shows the tool and what the landing gear assembly looks like, however the first link is not a motorized unit, the second link is the motorized assembly but doesn't show as much as the first link. I know that most landing gear assemblies are similar, however you should check your manual to be sure if it has an opening for the tool and where it is on yours. I would suspect the left side (drivers side). Larger 5th wheels sometimes have two motors, yours I suspect has one motor.

Check these links out and that should give you an idea of where to look, and the tool, and how the motor and gearcase is connected.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo...omotive&sr=1-7

and

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-33396...omotive&sr=1-4

~CA
Old 06-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #8

Just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get yourself a can of Dry Lube. With the landing gear extended liberally spray with dry lube. My little bit of noise occurs once in awhile but Dry Lube takes care of it.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote