Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #41

Thanks Screwby, I appreciate it!
K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #42

My 15k ac in 100+ degree weather was drawing about 1700 watts. I'd be mighty impressed to see a Honda eu2000 running 28.5k btu worth of AC.
supereri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:56 PM   #43

So what does that mean?
Old 07-28-2019, 06:14 AM   #44

It means that you won't be able to run two 15K air conditioners off of one 2000 or even 2200 watt generator. One ac yes, two, no way.

Watts are watts.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #45

Okay perfect! I wouldn’t attempt to try two AC units. For a minute I thought you were saying that I couldn’t run one AC unit. All good now, thanks
Old 07-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #46

OK, I drank the coolaide and joined the Micro air family. Order the unit today and it should be here next week. Will be anxious to get it wired up and give it a go with my H2000. The honda is about 8 years old but has less than 200 hours and is in top running condition. I was about ready to pop on a new H2200 but listening to the input on this thread and others I took the plunge.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
OK, I drank the coolaide and joined the Micro air family. Order the unit today and it should be here next week. Will be anxious to get it wired up and give it a go with my H2000. The honda is about 8 years old but has less than 200 hours and is in top running condition. I was about ready to pop on a new H2200 but listening to the input on this thread and others I took the plunge.
The Coolaide is delicious and the first time that AC starts up so easy and quiet you’ll think something is wrong with it. It’s especially awesome when you can run your AC off a standard house receptacle without tripping a breaker.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #48

Quote:
Bassdogs when you get around to installing the Micro air could you do a detailed write up on the installation [possibly with pics] and how long it took? I have a Champion 2000 watt inverter generator and would love to have air conditioning at the storage facility while working on the camper. My camper has a Coleman-Mach 15K. Thx in advance. Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #49

There's no way I would overload my generator like that. I guess it's a good way to get a new one. Smoke the winding's in the A/C compressors and you will get some new A/C's too.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Bassdogs when you get around to installing the Micro air could you do a detailed write up on the installation [possibly with pics] and how long it took? I have a Champion 2000 watt inverter generator and would love to have air conditioning at the storage facility while working on the camper. My camper has a Coleman-Mach 15K. Thx in advance. Terry
I'm using a Champion 2000 watt as well though my A/C unit is a 13.5. Here is a link to the install video on the Micro-Air site:

Micro-Air RV Install Video

It's just over 30 minutes long - if you want to zero in a couple of key sections I'd recommend the following two:

Starting at 10:30 in they take several minutes to demonstrate the actual start-up amperage for the stock A/C. They also installed a after-market hard start and showed that it actually increased the measured start-up amperage by 1 amp as I recall.

Starting at 19:00 in they show the actual wire by wire install of the EasyStart followed by another demonstration of the new start-up amperage after the EasyStart has "learned" the A/C's startup pattern. It's pretty impressive.

There are only 4 wires that need connected. My A/C happened to be wired the same as the one they were using to demo. Only took me about 30 minutes total to do the install. After the install and the 5 learning starts on shore power mine fires right up on the Champion with little effort. Once started it settles in to a 11-12 amp draw while running.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
There's no way I would overload my generator like that. I guess it's a good way to get a new one. Smoke the winding's in the A/C compressors and you will get some new A/C's too.
To whom are you referring to? Very vague post
Old 07-29-2019, 04:22 AM   #52

Referring to the "topic" not a person
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:11 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I plan on viewing and following the online video for the install on this AC. Can't do pics [long story] but will reply to any challenges I faced.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post
still confused? What does "topic" mean and what is going to smoke the windings by using the micro air??
Old 07-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post
The topic of seeing what you can safely run using a Honda 2200i is a bad idea? So we should all just lug around huge generators and not upgrade our campers with newer, more efficient, modern gear to replace the factory bottom of the barrel technology? We should go back to incandescent inefficient lighting, tube T.V.s, ditch solar? I don’t understand the negativity toward seeing what is possible to make camping easier and more adventurous. Smoking windings and ruining ACs Isn’t going to happen running tests using multimeters and “smart” inverter generators. The generator is going to shut down itself if overloaded and in my case the Progressive Industries will sense a low voltage incident and shut down the trailer. We aren’t talking about old timey days when guys would run a whole job site off a beat down old generator until it crapped itself. Hopping into a thread and throwing down a couple sentence negative comment isn’t being productive so I don’t understand the intent?
Old 07-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #56

Micro-Air on a 377RLBH

I was wondering how you would install the Micro-Air device on a 377RLBH since the A/C unit is not on the roof. I wouldn’t hook it up to the bedroom A/C unit. I like the idea of being able to use my little Honda Ei2000 generator, but don’t know how to hook up the Micro-Air device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonz View Post
Good morning everyone,

Since this question is asked alot here are my results

I have a Octane SL 272 that has 2 15k BTU AC units in it. I've installed a Mcro Air easy start on the Main AC unit for the trailer.

With my generator running on Economy Mode I can use the main AC unit and the generator doesn't kick out of econo mode. I can also while the main AC is running turn the fan on high on the AC unit in the bedroom and the generator stays in econo mode.

I've ordered a 2nd Micro air for the AC unit in the bedroom(I didnt know it had an AC unit in there before) and I will see what this little genny can do. Im thinking it will handle both running the AC with Econo mode turned off.
Doonz - I have the same type setup myself and have had super results! Equipment: Dual Honda 2200 portable generators (standard and companion) and dual 15K AC units - both with Micro Air soft start installed on them. Test 1: Using 1 Honda generator, plug 50A power cord (dog bone down to 20A) into generator. Run generator in economy mode - turn on AC (high) - AC starts easy and runs fine. Test 2: Using 2 Honda generators in parallel, plug 50A power cord (30A adapter). Run generators in economy mode, turn on 1st AC - OK! turn on 2nd AC - OK! Test 3: Let's go for broke!! With both Honda 2200's running, turn on both AC units, TV, Stereo, BluRay player and fireplace - It works!! When I kicked on the microwave oven it puked and the generators failed. Then again, who's going to run the fireplace when both AC's are running? So it'll give you a good idea of what kind of power is available at your disposal. The takeaway: If you're on the road and need power, it's nice to have a portable generator. If you plan ahead and use something like the Micro Air, you can save yourself a lot of headache. Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Holbrook View Post
I was wondering how you would install the Micro-Air device on a 377RLBH since the A/C unit is not on the roof. I wouldn’t hook it up to the bedroom A/C unit. I like the idea of being able to use my little Honda Ei2000 generator, but don’t know how to hook up the Micro-Air device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
K Holbrook - A 377RLBH is a 5th wheel. All 5th wheels have rooftop AC units. Perhaps you meant to say your AC unit is ducted, which looks like it might be internal? If you look on the roof, you should see two AC units. You can't miss them as they're about 2' wide, 3' long and 16" high (unless you have low profile). Either way, it's a big plastic over over a compressor and fan. Micro Air has great documentation and people have posted install videos online. If you're not familiar with electrical, you can always have a dealer/rep install it for you. The Micro Air will run about $300 + dealer install fees (probably another $300). That's PER AC UNIT. So it's cheaper to do it yourself.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #59

Quote:
I plan on viewing and following the online video for the install on this AC. Can't do pics [long story] but will reply to any challenges I faced.
The micro air unit is still a few days out, but got up on top today and opened the shroud on the Coleman. Won't be having any issues because what I found is exactly like the picture on the instruction. No start cap so don't have to fuss with removing it. Will take my time and it will take me a bit longer because I'm old and always take things slow.

Biggest challenge is going to be getting rid of the wasp nest that I found under the shroud inside the electrical box.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
The generator is going to shut down itself if overloaded and in my case the Progressive Industries will sense a low voltage incident and shut down the trailer. We aren’t talking about old timey days when guys would run a whole job site off a beat down old generator until it crapped itself. Hopping into a thread and throwing down a couple sentence negative comment isn’t being productive so I don’t understand the intent?

I'm not an electrician, but I don't think there's much harm in trying it out. I had a 2k watt Honda generator. I accidentally overloaded it once. All that happened was the generator circuit breaker popped. No smoke, nothing fried. Turned off the loads and reset the circuit breaker.

I suspect that's exactly what will happen here. The circuit breaker will trip, probably as soon as the fan for the second unit comes on while the first unit is running. Just the fan on my 15k AC pulls about 300-400w.
supereri is offline   Reply With Quote