Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2019, 04:23 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I'm using a Champion 2000 watt as well though my A/C unit is a 13.5. Here is a link to the install video on the Micro-Air site:

Micro-Air RV Install Video

It's just over 30 minutes long - if you want to zero in a couple of key sections I'd recommend the following two:

Starting at 10:30 in they take several minutes to demonstrate the actual start-up amperage for the stock A/C. They also installed a after-market hard start and showed that it actually increased the measured start-up amperage by 1 amp as I recall.

Starting at 19:00 in they show the actual wire by wire install of the EasyStart followed by another demonstration of the new start-up amperage after the EasyStart has "learned" the A/C's startup pattern. It's pretty impressive.

There are only 4 wires that need connected. My A/C happened to be wired the same as the one they were using to demo. Only took me about 30 minutes total to do the install. After the install and the 5 learning starts on shore power mine fires right up on the Champion with little effort. Once started it settles in to a 11-12 amp draw while running.
tt, thanks for the tips! I'm going to go ahead and order the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I plan on viewing and following the online video for the install on this AC. Can't do pics [long story] but will reply to any challenges I faced.
Thx bassdogs, I'm sure I'll have questions.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:08 AM   #62

Run 15k air with Yamaha 2400

Thought I would join in.
I have a Yamaha 2400ISHC that I run on LP with a kit from US Carboration.
I can run one 15k AC on my 381DLQS but I have to be sure to run the fridge and of course water heater on gas.

I read others talking about overloading. I don't know about the Honda's but this little genny has an overload, if you try to pull too much, it will go into overload, disconnect, and drop to a low idle. Since this is an inverter generator I have never seen the volts drop below 112. Digital meter plugged into outlet inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha 2400ISHC.JPG  
Tuckerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #63

Received the micro air yesterday and just completed the install. It is 95 outside and the digital tstat in the TT said 99. It may not go any higher. Introducing the line up, I turn 72 in a month, had a pretty serious heart problem fixed in Feb., and have no business climbing up on top of a TT regardless of the temp. I was careful to put everything I might need in a cardboard box so I didn't have to face repeat climbs on the ladder. Make note as this is a key safety procedure.

The procedure from that 1st and only trip up the ladder until everything was wired up took 45 minutes. I work slow. The learning process takes about 25 minutes. At the 1 hour and 15 minute mark my 2014 W Hawk 15k AC was officially running on my 2012 honda 2000. Start up was smooth to say the least and no strain on the 2000 at all. Going to let the honda eat for about 3 hours just to give it a good test.

This Micro air unit is the real deal. My apologies to everyone I have doubted in recent months. Total cost with tax was $310.31.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Received the micro air yesterday and just completed the install. It is 95 outside and the digital tstat in the TT said 99. It may not go any higher. Introducing the line up, I turn 72 in a month, had a pretty serious heart problem fixed in Feb., and have no business climbing up on top of a TT regardless of the temp. I was careful to put everything I might need in a cardboard box so I didn't have to face repeat climbs on the ladder. Make note as this is a key safety procedure.

The procedure from that 1st and only trip up the ladder until everything was wired up took 45 minutes. I work slow. The learning process takes about 25 minutes. At the 1 hour and 15 minute mark my 2014 W Hawk 15k AC was officially running on my 2012 honda 2000. Start up was smooth to say the least and no strain on the 2000 at all. Going to let the honda eat for about 3 hours just to give it a good test.

This Micro air unit is the real deal. My apologies to everyone I have doubted in recent months. Total cost with tax was $310.31.

AHHHH, ANOTHER CONVERT! :

I have been using Micro-air for 3 years now, Never any issues.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #65

Easy Start & Generator Combination

This is my first post so I will start with some basic information before asking my question:

Equipment:
2011 Jayco X213
A/C 13.5
Easy Start (new installation)

My wife and I are planning a cross country trip and we expect to dry dock during our trip. We will definitely need to run our AC powered by a generator on some nights, therefore, I just installed an Easy Start on my Jayco. Thanks for the members that posted links to the installation video. It was super easy.

Generator Question:
Based on some previous posts, I know my AC can be powered by a Honda EU2200I, but the generator cost ~$1,100. I would like to take advantage of a Costco promotion and purchase an A-iPower 1600W Running/2000W Peak Gasoline (Yamaha engine) for ~$400. I am sure this will push the limits of the generator, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried to use a 1600W generator to power a 13.5 AC. Since the majority of the time we will have power supplied at a campsite, I would prefer to limit my investment on the a generator.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.
RV Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Cruisin View Post
This is my first post so I will start with some basic information before asking my question:

Equipment:
2011 Jayco X213
A/C 13.5

My wife and I are planning a cross country trip and we expect to dry dock during our trip. We will definitely need to run our AC powered by a generator on some nights, therefore, I just installed an Easy Start on my Jayco. Thanks for the members that posted links to the installation video. It was super easy.

Generator Question:
Based on some previous posts, I know my AC can be powered by a Honda EU2200I, but the generator cost ~$1,100. I would like to take advantage of a Costco promotion and purchase an A-iPower 1600W Running/2000W Peak Gasoline (Yamaha engine) for ~$400. I am sure this will push the limits of the generator, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried to use a 1600W generator to power a 13.5 AC. Since the majority of the time we will have power supplied at a campsite, I would prefer to limit my investment on the a generator.

We're "Costconians" too! I know just the generator you're talking about because I was considering one myself. We didn't go with it because it's too tall for our 5th wheel front storage space. We opted for 2 smaller Honda 2200's. Yeah, they're dam pricey but you get what you pay for. Anyhow, I think the rule of thumb is a 15K BTU AC takes 15 amps to run. With the Micro Air on it, it should take much less. Thus the Costco generator should be able to run your 13.5K BTU AC just fine. I say go buy it, run home and hook it up. If it doesn't do what you want, take it back! It's Costco! Good Luck!
Old 08-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Cruisin View Post

Equipment:
2011 Jayco X213
A/C 13.5

Generator Question:

A ton has been written on the alt genny question. I am a new micro-air convert but a long time honda 2000 owner. As to your question, you can go with the feedback already written on other threads OR do as the previous post suggest, buy it and try. Personally I understand the desire to save $$$ but for my 2 cents worth, going with a honda is a long term investment that you will learn to appreciate many years down the road.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #68

2016 Jayco 19RD TT
Brand-new 15K Coleman rooftop A/C
Well-used Yamaha 3000iSEB generator

My service shop recently replaced my factory 13.5K A/C after it crapped out, and they "upgraded" me to a 15K unit...we live in Texas so this seems to be standard practice. Went dry camping again for the first time last weekend. The generator never overloaded, and the A/C seemed to work fine. It just seemed like when the compressor kicked in the generator briefly bogged down more than it did with the original 13.5K A/C.

I typically don't run anything else during startup except maybe the refrigerator...but I left that on Gas all weekend so shouldn't have been a factor. In the past, after warming up, I run the genny in Eco mode, and there is always a pitch change when the generator takes the heavier load. Now, it just seems more pronounced which to me would make sense if a 15K needs more wattage compared to a 13.5K.

Service tech is going to double check startup draw for me to ensure we don't have an issue with the new unit. If not, do y'all think the Micro Air will help with the startup load...i.e. genny bogging down...on the new 15K A/C?
Old 08-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by guamarhea View Post
2016 jayco 19rd tt
brand-new 15k coleman rooftop a/c
well-used yamaha 3000iseb generator

my service shop recently replaced my factory 13.5k a/c after it crapped out, and they "upgraded" me to a 15k unit...we live in texas so this seems to be standard practice. Went dry camping again for the first time last weekend. The generator never overloaded, and the a/c seemed to work fine. It just seemed like when the compressor kicked in the generator briefly bogged down more than it did with the original 13.5k a/c.

I typically don't run anything else during startup except maybe the refrigerator...but i left that on gas all weekend so shouldn't have been a factor. In the past, after warming up, i run the genny in eco mode, and there is always a pitch change when the generator takes the heavier load. Now, it just seems more pronounced which to me would make sense if a 15k needs more wattage compared to a 13.5k.

Service tech is going to double check startup draw for me to ensure we don't have an issue with the new unit. If not, do y'all think the micro air will help with the startup load...i.e. Genny bogging down...on the new 15k a/c?
no doubt !

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #70

Quote:

Welcome to the club!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #71

I guess you could but not sure why you would spend the money on it just to keep generator from losing a couple hundred rpm during initial load. That is normal and not an issue, it seems you have enough generator so adding a micr air is a bit superflous. But to each his own.
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickledill View Post
I guess you could but not sure why you would spend the money on it just to keep generator from losing a couple hundred rpm during initial load. That is normal and not an issue, it seems you have enough generator so adding a micr air is a bit superflous. But to each his own.
Thanks. So to be clear, the genny REALLY bogs down. On of my firends actually thought it might stall. I think he was exaggerating, but you get my point.

I've been using generators and power equipment for decades, so believe me when I say this is more than a minor RPM drop. The fan in the TT actually kicks off briefly when the compressor is kicking on, whereas on shore power there is no problem at all.

The Yamaha 3000iSEB is a 2800W genny with a 400W surge, so I think that I am right up against the top of the power curve when the compressor kicks on. I'd rather find a solution (even if it means a bigger genny) rather than push the Yamaha hard all the time and have it crap out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #73

I certainly am not an expert but it seems if your gennie is putting out the advertised power it should start that a/c without that much drama. Is there other draws on system while attempting this? Converter charging batteries, other potential areas where power is being used during startup? I do understand that a micro air would eliminate that hassle but it will also eliminate money out of your retirement fund! Lol
Old 08-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #74

Quote:
I certainly am not an expert but it seems if your gennie is putting out the advertised power it should start that a/c without that much drama. Is there other draws on system while attempting this? Converter charging batteries, other potential areas where power is being used during startup? I do understand that a micro air would eliminate that hassle but it will also eliminate money out of your retirement fund! Lol
The current draw upon "start up" is the issue here. And that's what the MicroAir is designed to minimize...which allows smaller generators to start an ac unit they normally couldn't.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #75

Understand that fully. A 3k generator should start a 15k a/c without a micro air without the significant difficulty he has described.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #76

Even if you have enough generator I like it for the fact it can save your AC in campgrounds with poor power delivery. Here is a quote right from easy starts web page :

EasyStart is the perfect solution that allows an air conditioner or refrigeration compressor to operate on a generator, inverter, or limited utility power when it would otherwise not have functioned.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #77

Quote:
Understand that fully. A 3k generator should start a 15k a/c without a micro air without the significant difficulty he has described.

Total agreement.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #78

I just got a 2019 RLOK 5th wheel with dual 15K ACs. I bought a Honda 2200 to start with, with the idea to get dual 2200s and install mico easy starts in both A/Cs. My single Honda 2200 runs the main 15K A/C just fine. Still saving up for the 2nd 2200, and micro starts ( and lithium batteries, solar, tire pressure monitor, ...etc etc
mandmNoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #79

As a recent micro air convert, I can say "Before micro air it couldn't and after installation it can". I have a H2000 I that is 8 years old. Others have commented about the H2200 but in my case I am the owner of a 2000 and my alternative was to replace the 2nd unit I sold along with my houseboat 3 years ago.

No brainer on this decision. Just an eye opener to me and am asking myself why I waited so long to make the jump to microair.