Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2018, 06:51 AM   #1

Leaky Front Window: How is it installed?

We have a 2007 JayFeather 29Y (smooth fiberglass exterior). The front window started leaking recently, but we finally caught it in the act this week (after it soaked my wallet and phone from the puddle that formed on the ledge below it!). I thought we had fixed it earlier in the year when I replaced the dried and shrunken glazing molding that had pulled out of the corner, but that doesn't seem to have done the trick.

It has an outside cover that isn't 100% water tight, but that should really only be for stone protection, from what I understand. That cover allows a little bit of water in behind it, but I wouldn't expect that to allow water through to the interior.

The water was dripping from the screws around the interior ring (can't tell if it's a retainer or just a trim ring?).

Does anybody have a diagram of how this is installed? I'm going to have to take it apart; it would be nice to have a diagram so I can make sure I have the right materials on hand and not have to leave it out for a week while waiting on parts.

Thanks!
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:54 AM   #2

Check the front clearance lights too. They are also a possible leak.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Check the front clearance lights too. They are also a possible leak.
Interesting you mentioned that... At the start of the season, I had a couple marker lights that were out. I went through and changed them all.

Just checked, and the curb side front top marker lens was full to the bulb level. There is a small foam gasket around the bulb, but the fact that the water was up to the bulb and not full to the top tells me it was filling up to that point, then likely running into the wall. The silicone around the base is intact, but the lens itself was, apparently, not well sealed.

So, it looks like this is my excuse to finally buy some sealed LED exterior lights and do them all.

If it was yours, would you still pull the front window, or would you try the lights first?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:15 AM   #4

Water always runs downhill. Try the lights first. Make sure you seal them well. Butyl tape behind them and I would seal the outside edge with appropriate sealer. Mixed opinions on the sealer. Dicor not the self levelling works for me. The foam seals breakdown too easily in my humble opinion. Son has a 2018 truck rear high brake light is leaking Already replaced. Foam seal.
Test with garden hose after the dicor has dried. Still leaking.. Double check the roof seal. Use dicor self levelling on the roof or eternabond. Then look at window.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #5

So, I finally had some time today to tear into it. As it turned out, there is a foam seal around the perimeter. It appears it was poorly installed from the factory, and likely stretched around the corners. Both top corners had pulled inside the radius of the opening, and there were several spots at the top edge where there was less than 1/32" of gasket engaged. Just sloppy installation by people who don't care about the details, in my opinion.

Had to buy a 50 foot roll of new gasket for 12 feet of window frame, but it was only $23 for the roll, so not too bad.

Im confident that was the source. I forgot that the walls are laminated with foam. There was an inch or two where the paper layer de-laminated at the edge of the window, but it's clamped by the window frame itself, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
A lot of windows will follow, as it is just not a proper way of sealing, but at least fast for manufacturing. Butyl tape is the way to go and it will last.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoecam View Post
So, I finally had some time today to tear into it. As it turned out, there is a foam seal around the perimeter. It appears it was poorly installed from the factory, and likely stretched around the corners. Both top corners had pulled inside the radius of the opening, and there were several spots at the top edge where there was less than 1/32" of gasket engaged. Just sloppy installation by people who don't care about the details, in my opinion.

Had to buy a 50 foot roll of new gasket for 12 feet of window frame, but it was only $23 for the roll, so not too bad.

Im confident that was the source. I forgot that the walls are laminated with foam. There was an inch or two where the paper layer de-laminated at the edge of the window, but it's clamped by the window frame itself, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks everyone!
I would also get a tube of OSI QUAD SEAL (clear) at Home Depot or Lowes go around the entire perimeter.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I would also get a tube of OSI QUAD SEAL (clear) at Home Depot or Lowes go around the entire perimeter.
Meh... The original seal was good for 13 years. If this makes it a few more, it'll be fine.