Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

LED Fixtures Too Bright

The interior led lights in my 2015 trailer are too bright. I searched for previous posts to see if anyone had successfully installed dimmers to the inside lights but did not find anything. My old Fleetwood had dual bulb incandescent lights. I converted them to led's and had the ability to turn on one or two bulbs at each fixture. If I can't find a way to dim the existing lights I most likely will replace the fixtures with an older type that gives low or high illumination. Has anyone replaced their new fixtures yet or added a dimmer to the existing inside lights? If so I would be interested in hearing your experience.
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #2

Two layers of this warmed up the color and dimmed the intensity:
http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Orange-Cor...ct_top?ie=UTF8
1963 IH Scout
brained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #3

That is a good idea. Did you apply it to the inside or outside of the lense?
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #4

Pulled the light covers off, used them as a template and cut a bunch of circles out and stuck them between the cover and the LEDs.

We went with two 1/4 filter sheets most everywhere. More above the bed and none above the sink. How yellow you want it is just a personal taste thing.
1963 IH Scout
brained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #5

The circuits driving the LEDs have to be made for dimming I think. I got inexpensive LED bulbs of ebay from china and they are white, but mellow. I bought a whole led fixture off amazon for over my table and its considerably brighter. If you wanted to swap them out for softer, how many do you need, maybe I'll swap you for the 4 or so main bulbs get them all brighter and leave the softer ones for the other areas. Anyway, you can order them 10 for $15 shipped and try.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

I have the same problem with the lights being too bright, especially the one in the bedroom. I did some research and the LED light bulbs in my camper can not be replaced with dimmer lights. The fixture and light are one unit and the entire fixture has to be replaced to get a dimmer bulb. The good news is you can get dimmer lights/fixtures as well as ones that come with a dimmer. The problem is the ones with dimmers are a lot more expensive. I found a lot of them on Amazon, even ones that matched the oval design of my original lights. Now I just need to decide if I want to spend the money to change them out just to get the ability to dim them.

Dale
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RDB
2015 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost 3.55
Golds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #7

Has anyone found any attractive shades or an attractive diy difuser cover to go over the existing fixtures? I've been searching pinterest. The pushbutton LED light fixtures in our new 2016 TT has probably been our biggest disappointment so far. It reminds me of cheap stickups that I plan to buy for the pantry. There's got to be a better lighting design that could be used. Absolutely LOVE it other than that.
Paul&Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #8

I bought this film referenced above a year ago and finally just got a bulb cover off. I had stored the film and sort of forgotten about it. I just want to make sure before I do this that no one has had issues with heat melting the stuff and creating an issue?
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #9

We just use oil lamps and candles when the LED's are too much.

You can not beat the LED reading lamp in the bedroom. Or the one over the sink when washing dishes.

But 3 tall tapers gives the best light when enjoying a meal with loved ones!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:49 PM   #10

One could always bust out the soldering iron and change the SMT resistors on the LED driver... but that is probably a little too deep for most folks to go.

If I can get my silly recalled lights replaced sometime soon, the DW wants the ones over the bed modded to be dimmer... will have to see what we can do.
ve7fet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:00 AM   #11

Led lights

Led lights come in two main intensities. Try the 'warm' led bulbs. The 'warm' bulbs are gentle and not so bright. We just switched the bed lights to 'warm' and left the bright 'cool' ones over the kitchen area.

Jayfeather 16 XRB
Ford Explorer V8
MagooIsBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #12

I put two of the sheets in the light over the dinette and it is substantially better so I might add a third. I just put one in the light over the bed and it definitely reduced the glare on my book and that's probably all I'll do because I like the bright ones overhead When I burn them, It's usually because I want a lot of light. I was just a little worried the tinted sheets might get hot up in there so I was wondering if anybody else had left them a long time and had any problem
Old 06-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
I put two of the sheets in the light over the dinette and it is substantially better so I might add a third. I just put one in the light over the bed and it definitely reduced the glare on my book and that's probably all I'll do because I like the bright ones overhead When I burn them, It's usually because I want a lot of light. I was just a little worried the tinted sheets might get hot up in there so I was wondering if anybody else had left them a long time and had any problem
I've had mine "filmed" for over a year now with no issues. This film was designed to withstand.heat. Stage lights and flash bulbs get very hot.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I've had mine "filmed" for over a year now with no issues. This film was designed to withstand.heat. Stage lights and flash bulbs get very hot.
Great! That's exactly what I wanted some reassurance about
Old 06-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #15

yes.. they are too bright. We seldom use them. The light over the dinette and the wall sconce are incandescent and not nearly as bright. The range hood light is incandescent as well.. We have a regular house lamp on a shelf in the entertainment area also.