Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #21

Disconnect both ends, blow residual water out via one end, coil it up and connect the ends together. Store in storage compartment. Nothing complicated. Call it the KISS Principle.
DarrellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #22

I would just sanitize your hose every so often with bleach. If you and everyone else only knew what the inside of your favorite eating establishments icemaker looked like! You talk about bacteria! No one knows except icemaker technicians what the rest of the world is oblivious to.
Fire&Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #23

I use quick disconnects on everything that has hose threads: filters, regulators, nozzles, cleaning setups. Hoses are rolled up and ends connected together. I keep a short 10' hose that will work for most hookups connected with a plug in the free end ready to connect.
jdhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #24

E9 Army(ret) guy here Don, just purchased our first RV so we are still in the process of outfitting "her". Any tips for a newbie?
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
When we go on trips, there is a bit of an investment involved. Time, money, happiness, blah, blah.

My point is, no one wants to go through all this to arrive at their destination and get sick. That will spoil things for the person or person(s) and everyone else too.

How do you handle your hose that you use for fresh water?

We treat it like a kitchen utensil and by that I mean we keep it clean and are very picky about how it is stored, etc.

Is it overkill to worry about water that may have been trapped in the hose from the last use a few weeks ago?

I guess if it is chlorinated city water probably not. Well water, however, may have issues.

Is it overkill to use something to cover the ends?

If you seal it, you could make a breeding ground for bacteria.

Thoughts?
Camping world sells Water filters where one end
attaches to the main water supply or water bib
and the female side of the hose. Run filtered water
through the hose (perferrably rubber not plastic
hose) for 2 to 3 minutes before attaching male
end of hose into trailer water supply fitting. This
should clean out any possible contaminates from
inside your hose. The filter will continue to send
clean water to fixtures and water heater inside
your trailer.
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #26

I did not read all these posts, so I might repeat what others have said. With my water hoses, I do my best to never have either end touch the ground, dirt, or grass. I coil them up and what water runs out, runs out, what is in the hose stays in the hose. I always let the water run for the count of 30 before I connect the hose to the trailer the next time. I/we have never gotten ill from the water hoses. Even in the winter I do not go back and drain the hoses that stay in the camp trailer. No illness has ever affected us. I have heard, and will start using proxide to sanatize the water hookups at parks and campgrounds.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #27

Berkey Filter Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLO View Post
Anybody try the Berky filter system?

Yes, and I recommend it. I have a "Big Berkey" system with four filters. I do take care with our drinking water hoses and attachments and keep them completely separate from our black hoses and even our black tank flush hose. But, we don't drink or cook with any water that has not gone through the Berkey. It will remove parasites and bacteria and most dissolved chemicals (see their web site). It is a gravity filtration system only - simple. Some water gets stored in bottles in the fridge for drinking. Every time we set up, the Berkey is one of the first things out and filled up. When traveling, the Berkey fits inside itself, so it is somewhat more compact and it then goes in a clear bin into the shower tub. We use the same unit at home all year round. It is not worth the risk of getting sick, in my opinion.
amcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #28

Send a message via MSN to Tonyzsi
We only drink bottled water and use it for coffee or filling the dog bowl.
I carry a 35' hose and a 25' hose. I just hook up the hose and turn it on.
*Now I make sure there are no faucets on inside! We set up in the pouring rain last year and I was outside hooking everything up and nobody inside heard the faucet running. By the time I caught it we had a waterfall from the sink into the shower. Fortunately most of it went into the shower or it could have been worse.
When leaving I roll it up in the air to drain the water out. Then I hook the ends together until next time. I don't do anything different over the winter.
I would like to run some bleach/water soloution throught the hose and into the rig each spring, but have not done this yet. No problems in 3 years.
Tonyzsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #29

I do treat our water hose with care, however we only drink bottled water, whiskey and beer.
Jacotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #30

Many years ago I spent 2 1/2 days at the camper with diarrhea while everyone else was out having fun. This was in the middle of the trip. I'm quite sure it was from the local water. This was only 3 hours from home. I do not have a sensitive stomach, can tolerate a lot of things that others can't, and I also grew up drinking from the garden hose. Never-the-less, we now only use bottled water for drinking, cooking, and making coffee.

I do take reasonable care of the hose. It get's coiled up and the ends connected together. We use an inexpensive Camco filter and I thoroughly clean the entire system in the spring and sometimes once in late summer just to keep the water smelling clean.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Many years ago I spent 2 1/2 days at the camper with diarrhea while everyone else was out having fun. This was in the middle of the trip. I'm quite sure it was from the local water. This was only 3 hours from home. I do not have a sensitive stomach, can tolerate a lot of things that others can't, and I also grew up drinking from the garden hose. Never-the-less, we now only use bottled water for drinking, cooking, and making coffee.

I do take reasonable care of the hose. It get's coiled up and the ends connected together. We use an inexpensive Camco filter and I thoroughly clean the entire system in the spring and sometimes once in late summer just to keep the water smelling clean.
When I was a kid my cousin and I both got sick from campground water. He ended up in the hospital ER overnight. Bottled water only for us.
Jacotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #32
Site Team

This thread has given me a great idea. lightbulb!

I just bought an inexpensive submersible pump for the purpose of descaling my homes on demand water heater with vinegar. It connects via hose connections to the water heater.

I could put a weak solution in a 5 gallon bucket and use it to sanitize all my hoses in the camper every now and again.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #33

I sanitize all my fresh water hoses once a year:

After letting the bleach solution stay in the freshwater tanks overnight, I use a funnel and drain the tanks through the fresh water hoses. I then coil the hoses up and they are ready to use for the season.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #34

Only use bottled water for drinking, cooking, brushing teeth etc....
Campground water is used only for showers, toilet, washing hands etc....
White hose has ventilated caps on the ends and has its own zippered case (From CW I believe)
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
When we go on trips, there is a bit of an investment involved. Time, money, happiness, blah, blah.

My point is, no one wants to go through all this to arrive at their destination and get sick. That will spoil things for the person or person(s) and everyone else too.

How do you handle your hose that you use for fresh water?

We treat it like a kitchen utensil and by that I mean we keep it clean and are very picky about how it is stored, etc.

Is it overkill to worry about water that may have been trapped in the hose from the last use a few weeks ago?

I guess if it is chlorinated city water probably not. Well water, however, may have issues.

Is it overkill to use something to cover the ends?

If you seal it, you could make a breeding ground for bacteria.

Thoughts?

Typically I'll just unwrap the hose, connect it to the water feed and let it run for a minute before connecting it to the rig. This way you know fresh water is coming out of it. We also use an inline water filter for particles and contaminates. When we're packing up I disconnect everything, lay the hose out, blow in one end until the water comes out, then wrap it up while lifting one end to let gravity take what's left in the hose. Short of an air pump, you'll never have a completely dry hose when you're done.

After that, there are far more serious things to worry about than your water hose. You're more likely to catch something from not washing your hands before eating or worse yet, someone serving you food with dirty hands. It's best effort. On the flip side, we typically bring bottled water with us for drinking and use the water feed for dishes, showers and the toilet. It's really a matter of personal preference. I was one of those "garden hose" drinkers when I was a kid too, so I'm not really worried about it to start with.

Last note: If you dry camp and use your fresh water tank, it's imperative that you clean this regularly. While winterizing should negate this, letting water sit for months can lead to a bacteria issue later. There are water treatment options to prevent this.

Good Luck