Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Let's talk freshwater hoses

When we go on trips, there is a bit of an investment involved. Time, money, happiness, blah, blah.

My point is, no one wants to go through all this to arrive at their destination and get sick. That will spoil things for the person or person(s) and everyone else too.

How do you handle your hose that you use for fresh water?

We treat it like a kitchen utensil and by that I mean we keep it clean and are very picky about how it is stored, etc.

Is it overkill to worry about water that may have been trapped in the hose from the last use a few weeks ago?

I guess if it is chlorinated city water probably not. Well water, however, may have issues.

Is it overkill to use something to cover the ends?

If you seal it, you could make a breeding ground for bacteria.

Thoughts?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #2

Generally; I roll it up just small enough to fit in the cargo area (or shower if it's gonna freeze over night). Water seams to drain out of it when rolling. Then I screw the ends together and shove her in with the rest of the cargo. We do use freezer bags for several items and stored into small totes. Grey/Black flushing hoses, sewer connectors, Y-gates, blue torpedo filters, and of course house filters. But then again I advocate drinking out of the garden hose most of my life...

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #3

I coil mine up and close it onto itself. Don’t do anything else except try to clean off the mud. No issues for us. I’m sure others will tell you to carry bleach solution and store it in special container, etc but for me, I don’t worry about it. But, I grew up drinking water out of the green water hose so I may be immune [emoji3]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #4

I have 3 lengths (10, 25 and 50 ft) of the white drinking hoses and I'll use the shortest one to connect to the TT. Most of the time I can get away with the 10' hose so I don't have a large coil of hose laying on the ground.

I don't spray bleach or treat the hoses any differently than a garden hose. I do keep them in a different compartment, away from the sewer connectors and the black tank rinse hose. I'll run a bit of water thru the spigot, then the hose before connecting it to the trailer to flush out any debris, insects, etc before connecting to the TT. When we pack up, I try to drain the hoses the best I can. I'll leave the ends open to allow air to dry the rest. I don't fret about water left in a hose for a few weeks but I'm also the guy that leaves water in the water heater tank for a few weeks between trips.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #5

Like you, we are picky about hoses and keep them clean and carefully stored. When camping, they are stowed in the TT pass-thru area which is virtually under our bed and not near the sewer hoses.

We drain as much water as possible after disconnecting. Yes, they are still damp inside when stowed but we leave the ends open. We use the same hoses, and filters, so they are virtually never dried until we return home. When our camping outing is done, hoses and filter canisters are dried (filter media tossed) and stored in the house.

When connecting to the CG water supply, the faucet is sprayed with a bleach solution, the hose(s) connected, and water is run through the hoses for a short time. I keep the open end of the fresh water hose in my hand when routing hoses (I never drag an open end of a fresh water hose through dirt, grass, etc.) and don't lay my fresh water hoses on any sewage hose or sewer connections.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #6

Not picky about a hose.... coil it up small and store it in a clean 5-gal bucket in the trailer storage.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I coil mine up and put it into its own watertight storage bin, then into the wet bay. i do not seal the ends together. I grew up drinking water from the hose and playing in ditches in southern La. If i were going to get something from the water it would've happened by now. Anually i flush it with bleach water...
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #8

Coil it up, connect the ends and lay it in the basement. When we arrive at our next site, I run fresh water through it before connecting to the camper.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #9

I sanitize my hose by running city water through it to rinse out the fresh water tank. That's it. I do drop in a cup of bleach and run it through the tank, pump and lines then drain it out later.

That said, we carry a gallon or two of city water or purchased water for drinking and cooking. We just use the fresh for washing us or dishes.

Never had a problem in over 40 years camping in several different rv's.

You are more likely to catch something at a restaurant or rest area.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #10

Coil it up and screw the ends together. Next trip open it up and connect it to the water supply. To me that's the same as drinking half a bottle of water and putting the cap back on until I finish a couple days later. I see your point but not something I'm going to stress over.
gpeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #11

Our solution, on both our TT and our sailboat, is to drink bottled water.

So, the water from the tanks or the hose is just used for shower, toilet, etc..

Although, we do use tank water to boil potatoes. After all, it's getting boiled.

We just coil the hose and connect the two ends so it doesn't leak in storage. Separate hose for black tank rinsing, of course.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #12

I coil ours and try to drain out all the water in the process. Then I screw the ends together and use a ball bungee to tame the coils and place it in the storage compartment. When we get to a new site, I first run some water out of the faucet to insure it is clear, then I connect my pressure regulator, filter and hose and run more water through the hose to flush out any water that remained from the previous use.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #13

You can test the water if think it maybe bad water cheap $15 tester, MULTIPURPOSE TDS TESTER: Test drinking water purity to ensure it's healthy, monitor if Reverse Osmosis (RO)/DI System works properly, whether filter need replaced, maintenance aquarium, hydroponics(test nutrients), pool and spa, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Accurate-Hone...2B68KE4SD7P925
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:03 AM   #14
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Our solution, on both our TT and our sailboat, is to drink bottled water.

So, the water from the tanks or the hose is just used for shower, toilet, etc..
We started doing this last year not because of concern over the quality of the water but more because we were getting off-tastes in coffee and powdered drinks. Even though we filter, this is our preferred option.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I coil ours and try to drain out all the water in the process. Then I screw the ends together and use a ball bungee to tame the coils and place it in the storage compartment. When we get to a new site, I first run some water out of the faucet to insure it is clear, then I connect my pressure regulator, filter and hose and run more water through the hose to flush out any water that remained from the previous use.
X2

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #16

Bobsamm

Always coil it up and leave the ends open to dry out. Always use water filter also.
bobsamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #17

Freshwater hose

After getting a parisite several years ago that we feel came from camping we are very careful. Wipe off the spout before connecting and the hose ends. Cover both ends when not in use and store in its own container. Once in the year we put a bit of bleach through it.
We always bring our own drinking water now and use campgrounds for cooking and showers.
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #18

We are in the middle I think.We clean the hose when we sanitize annually and then store it seperate and try to keep the ends off the ground. With that said we and the dog drink bottled water( he had IBS and so changes of water created a mess) and also to make ice cubes. We cooked and made coffee with the tap /
hose water. It's been ok so far...
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #19

I use two methods, I do drain the hose and then screw the ends together, but I
also have rubber caps with air holes in them for the hoses too.

We are trying some new for us this year, I bought two of those plastic bins from
CW that look like a steel tire rim, one to roll up the water hose in and the second
one is for the 50 amp cable (dame heavy thing). We'll see how this all works out.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #20

Berky filtration

Anybody try the Berky filter system?
RobLO is offline   Reply With Quote