Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #1

Lippert Correct Track

This wasn't a Jayco but I have a buddy that lives in town so he can't keep his TT at his house or he gets a letter from the city in a couple days telling him to move it. When he got into camping he asked where our family stores their campers and I said in their yard. Then I offered to let him store at our place as we have plenty of room and 3 campers or RVs there anyhow.

We were talking this spring and he was complaining about how he chews up a tire every year and they don't put that many miles on it. Maybe 2000 a year. I knew he had taken it in every year or two in order to get an alignment done but it still happens. He uses a X-Chock as I have seen him put it on but at our place (which is flat) he only uses one. So I thought this might be pushing it out of alignment. He said he uses two when camping. He then said that they must have assembled it wrong because when he first got the X-Chock he noticed it had to be cranked out a lot further on one side vs the other. This year he had enough and was going to take it in to get the axles cut off and welded on right. We took come measurements and from the center of the hub one side was about 1" closer than the other. I told him that it is his camper and his money but I had read about the Lippert Correct Track and that he might consider that. Even if they cut it off and reweld there wouldn't be any adjustment after that. He looked into it and it was a lot cheaper than the quote he got but was concerned about doing the install as he couldn't do it at his house. I offered my shop as I have all the tools we would need. So Sat he came over and we did one side at a time. We started at about 10AM took a break over lunch and had everything cleaned up by 4PM. The install is pretty straight forward but it is a bear drilling the holes. More so the ones under the camper. He bought the Correct Track and bushing kit from etrailer. While we had the camper jacked up his wife ran the bald tire in to get replaced. That was the side we started on. I wish we would have looked at the "good" tire closer because when we got to the other side he pulled off the first wheel and as he was wheeling it away I told him to stop and pointed out a big bulge in the tire. His wife came back and got that one replaced but then while putting it back together we saw some concerning cracks in the second tire. He is going to have the other two replaced as well.

We had to do a bit of guess work because we were not sure how much the axles would move once they had weight on them again but in the end we estimated pretty good. The hubs were exactly 28" from each other on both sides when it was back on the ground. The other advantage for him was that he mentioned that ever since the city repaved their street and replaced the curb and gutter, they couldn't have their bike rack on the back of the camper. It would hit the driveway when they pulled out because it is pretty steep. This kit actually lowers the springs and gained him close to 2" of ground clearance. If he takes it easy it might make it so he can now get out of his driveway when he takes it home to load it up.