Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #11

I don't need to be the first boy on the group with these but I am watching and learning for when I need to replace my 6-6's in about 8 years.

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #12

Just 2 expensive and special handling for me. My 6V's work fine on the TT and the houseboat. Getting 5 or 6 years out of a set. The set on the houseboat came off of my last tt and are on year 6 and still ticking.

Until they get more main stream and cheaper, I'm good with the current types. Will probably buy another set of 6's when the old ones die.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Just 2 expensive and special handling for me. My 6V's work fine on the TT and the houseboat. Getting 5 or 6 years out of a set. The set on the houseboat came off of my last tt and are on year 6 and still ticking.

Until they get more main stream and cheaper, I'm good with the current types. Will probably buy another set of 6's when the old ones die.
I don't get the "special handling" excuse or they are too complicated to charge. They are easier to take care of than a lead acid battery.

To properly care for a lead acid battery:
Bulk stage
Absorption stage
Finishing stage
Float stage
Add in temperature compensation
Occasional equalization charge
Don't discharge less than 50%
Each manufacturer has specific charge voltages to get the most out of the battery.
Oh, and don't forget to top up the electrolyte
They are hard to overcharge but you can boil away the electrolyte.
Watch out for the self discharge rate while in storage.
Keep them ventilated... not in your trailer.

Lithium battery:
If it comes with a good BMS (battery management system) you can't over charge or discharge the battery.
Charge at specified voltage and ramp down the current until full.
Charge or discharge to 50% capacity if it is going to be stored for a while.
Most good programmable chargers will be able to handle lithium batteries, if you program them properly, but I would expect as soon as they become popular chargers, converters, and solar controllers will come out with lithium specific profiles

Do you find taking care of your cell phone battery more difficult than your rv battery or car battery? (Not directed at anyone, just making a point)

I do agree that cost is still prohibitive and my lead acid batteries work just fine for now but lithium is or will be a great alternative.

Cheers
Old 02-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:

Which 6v batteries are you using specifically? I'm looking into switching from my 2-12 volts

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
Which 6v batteries are you using specifically? I'm looking into switching from my 2-12 volts
Sorry for delay in responding. Just got back from trip south and didn't have wifi for the last couple weeks.

My 6v's are Duracell procell #SLIGC125 and are rated at 132 min @ 75amps [same as Trojan T125. Got them thru my marine service shop. Think they were around $150 each.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #16

I have 4x 6v Fullriver AGM's and would go Li next time around just for the drawn down space you have on them and the charge speed.

See Wheelingit.us for their writeup of a switch to Li.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I have 4x 6v Fullriver AGM's and would go Li next time around just for the drawn down space you have on them and the charge speed.

See Wheelingit.us for their writeup of a switch to Li.
Just don't need 4x of them. Don't run a full house inverter, just a 600w for the entertainment center and sat system. Can watch sat tv or movie from 7pm till midnite and the furnace all nite [near or just below freezing ] and a 2 hour charge with the Honda brings them back to full power.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Just don't need 4x of them. Don't run a full house inverter, just a 600w for the entertainment center and sat system. Can watch sat tv or movie from 7pm till midnite and the furnace all nite [near or just below freezing ] and a 2 hour charge with the Honda brings them back to full power.
Mine won't be back to full from the overnight draw with a 2hr run. My fridge draws 1AH on propane. The OE charger won't do that as it goes into absorption mode too soon. The idiot lights on the panel say it's full but my monitor says I'm still short about 1/3 of the usage.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Mine won't be back to full from the overnight draw with a 2hr run. My fridge draws 1AH on propane. The OE charger won't do that as it goes into absorption mode too soon. The idiot lights on the panel say it's full but my monitor says I'm still short about 1/3 of the usage.
If I had a heavy use the night before, I connect a standalone charger hooked directly to the battery and I get a full charge usually within 2 hours or less. I don't rely on the on board charge thru the converter.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #20

Quote:
If I had a heavy use the night before, I connect a standalone charger hooked directly to the battery and I get a full charge usually within 2 hours or less. I don't rely on the on board charge thru the converter.
No offense intended here Bassdogs but how do you determine your battery is full?

I used to think my battery was full as well until I got a battery monitor as Players is referring to. With a battery monitor that measures amp hours removed and replaced you know what level you are at. Using voltage is a guessing game at best.

Cheers