Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #1

Lithium upgrade for 2018 Redhawk

Hello All. I have a 2018 Redhawk 26XD and I'd like to upgrade to Lithium. I spent last winter in the AZ desert and will be doing more boondocking this winter. I admit I know very little about batteries and power converters so basic info would be greatly appreciated! Looking through other posts I saw this post (below) from Supereri. I always thought I needed to replace the converter to use lithium batteries. Can anyone clarify if I should replace the Inverter instead of the Charge converter, and what the benefits / problems will be for each method? Thanks in advance, John.

"I know the Progressive dynamics converter in the mh currently needs to be upgraded to handle the lithiums. But, I'm looking at replacing the inverter with an inverter/charger (probably Victron mutliplus) so that's not an issue".
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #2

It appears he was talking about a combination converter/inverter so you would still be replacing the converter. I have been told the converter needs to be replaced, as well as a solar controller if so equipped. There is a related thread in the Class C forum IIRC.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #3

I've been researching this and I do not believe either NEEDS to be replaced. Ideally, getting a charge/converter that has a lithium charge profile world be great. The stock Progressive Dynamics will still charge lithium, not overcharge or damage the new battery, but it may reduce the life of lithiums since it would always want to keep the battery topped off, which is not the best way to store lithiums. If you are always using the batteries - drawing down and recharging, there should be little negative effect. If the lithium is stored for weeks or months at a time, the battery should actually be at about 50% SOC.

Changing the inverter is your choice and is appropriate if you want to run more or larger loads from the lithium. Our Alante came with a 1000w Xantrex inverter and I will be upgrading to their 1800w version because I can just swap it out and run larger gauge wires from the battery to inverter.

Depending on your solar charge controller, it may be better to replace if you cannot program it or it doesn't have a lithium profile. But again, it depends on how you will use the battery and if it will sit for extended periods. The other option would be to install a disconnect switch from the charge controller to the battery.