Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Phone mapping apps are great until you no longer have cell coverage from your carrier. GPS units have far more coverage than any cell system.
This is an excellant point. Att has terrible service in many remote areas, verizen is better, Sprint etc are in my experience urban and interstate phones. When do you need GPS help? In the city they phone gps works great unless your wife is using it to call the kids. In the bush of Alaska or colorado, not so much. My Garmin works anywhere except hi rise buildings and tunnels. It gets it signal for the sats and does not rely on cell service to work.

Don't over think this. Listen to people you know and go with what they suggest. Basic GPS units are not expensive anymore. You can get a unit with great features for less than $200. Get one and work with it or better yet borrow a unit from a family member or friend who has upgraded. You'll be better prepared for your 2nd purchase based on your first experience.

Just get started.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #12

Bassdogs, I agree. The phones have dead spots but coverage in cities is good. The satelites work everywhere. When we first bought ours I even used it for trips to the grocery store just to get used to how it worked.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #13

Practice with anything before you have to depend on it. Amazing how much detail is in the maps these days. Mine tells me to turn into my own drive which use to be a county road [20 years ago]. Now its just a 300' drive to my front door.

Can't stress how important it is to have a basic visual [paper map] understanding of the layout of where you are going to be driving. That will help you avoid routes that take you on the interstate that runs thru a major urban area during rush hour instead of taking a slightly longer bypass around town. If you don't know that alternate highways or routes that friends have recommended, the GPS might take you into places that you would rather avoid.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
Here in NY, my pickup is registered commercial because of the weight.
When we had our truck built, the dealer clicked on commercial because of the weight. The nice thing about the Florida DOV, is that they allow you to change it from commercial (weight), to a normal truck classification if you can prove it is not going to be used as part of a business. It saved us a couple bucks...

Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

I have a Garmin 560 truckers gps that has an RV mode. It will route you on some pretty ridiculous routes so I double check it on automobile mode. It has POIs for trucks and the national breakdown directory which comes in handy. I think some of the RV GPS units also have built in POIs for campground/RV parks.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #16

You really have to make sure that you have all the parameters set the way you want them. It's easy to get yourself routed onto a dirt road if you're not careful. I think the people lost in Nevada in the snow ended up on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote