Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #1

LP automatic change over

We have had our Jayco Eagle fifth wheel for a month now and have gone through two tanks of gas, which is a lot better than our old Titanium would have done.
We started from the tank curb side and the change over to the street side went well. Last night that tank went empty, but we did not get a change over back to curb side. The flag on the regulator stayed red when I turned the tank indicator to its side even though the full tank was hooked up and valve open. I turned the full tank off, unhooked it, hooked it back up, opened the valve slowly, but the flag stayed red. I rechecked my gas flow in the RV and the stove burners would only burn on low, which I suspect was low pressure coming from the "empty" tank.
I moved the full tank to the street side hooked everything back up and now have full pressure in the rv, but the flag still shows red. By the way, it is below freezing.
I am guessing I have a faulty regulator or am I missing something? I have been living in a fifth wheel for 15 years with out encountering this problem.
If I do have a problem do I go the regulator manufacturer or Camping World?
Thanks
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bird View Post
We have had our Jayco Eagle fifth wheel for a month now and have gone through two tanks of gas, which is a lot better than our old Titanium would have done.
We started from the tank curb side and the change over to the street side went well. Last night that tank went empty, but we did not get a change over back to curb side. The flag on the regulator stayed red when I turned the tank indicator to its side even though the full tank was hooked up and valve open. I turned the full tank off, unhooked it, hooked it back up, opened the valve slowly, but the flag stayed red. I rechecked my gas flow in the RV and the stove burners would only burn on low, which I suspect was low pressure coming from the "empty" tank.
I moved the full tank to the street side hooked everything back up and now have full pressure in the rv, but the flag still shows red. By the way, it is below freezing.
I am guessing I have a faulty regulator or am I missing something? I have been living in a fifth wheel for 15 years with out encountering this problem.
If I do have a problem do I go the regulator manufacturer or Camping World?
Thanks
Try hooking the full tank to the otherside by removing the empty tank. Suspect the problem is Freeze related assuming you are in an area suffering from the extreme cold. The regulator may be frozen and won't allow it to switch tanks. if the system works after swapping the tanks side to side, you can wait for the temps to warm up [Were going back into the 50's in a couple days here in KY] .
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #3

First, if the regulator is bad then it's a Jayco warranty issue, which should be taken to an authorized Jayco service center, not to the regulator manufacturer.

Second, I would check your operating procedures. What I didn't quite see you say is that you flipped the regulator's selector over to the second tank when the first one went dry. That would make the second tank the primary, and will allow you to pull the first tank out to be refilled without shutting off your gas. In general, when a tank runs dry you should always flip the selector to point to the active tank and then go refill the empty. I always check my gas tank status every couple of days, that way I don't get rude surprises in the middle of the night.

If this procedure does not work then you probably have a regulator problem.

Third, Bassdogs may have hit the nail on the head - you could just be frozen.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote