Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #1

lp gas quick connects

I was hooking up my grill a few weekends ago and when I unhooked it he would shoot out the gas. I played with it and got it to stop is that were i might have gotten sand in it or something should I blow it out with my compressor or what any ideas.....
Rod
Old 07-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #2

Mine has a valve that you turn on and off for the gas supply. Is yours different than this? I turn off the valve which is just above the quick connect and let the gas in the line burn out than disconnect when the unit is cool.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #3

Thanks for replaying Richard mine are like yours I am going to try that out this weekend when I use the stove and grill this weekend. I thought thought once you unhooked the hose it wouldnt leak no matter if you had the valve turned on or not?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #4

If your quick-connects don't have the saftey valve, and you can't seem to stop the gas from shooting out when they are disconnected, Do this- before you unhook anything, light the stove and then turn off the gas at the tank and allow it to burn until the flame goes out. This will burn all the gas out of the line making it safer to disconnect your stove.

As a simple maintenance check on the quick connect, get a can of brake-clean (automotive brake parts cleaner available at any auto parts store) and spray the female connector liberally (inside and out) and allow to dry (it will dry quickly). Add a few drops of light oil to the slide thingy and work it back and forth. LPG connectors can get gummed up just like everything else that has petroleum running through it and cause stuff to stick and malfunction.

Hope that helps!

2009 JKU TV (Its a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand!)
2000 Quest 8U PUP
Tyreguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #5

I personally think it's a hazard to have a QC without a cutoff. The fittings are known to leak. Propane is heavier than air and will set at ground level waiting for any kind of spark. A gas shutoff is easy to install if you can operate a flare tool and a wrench. Fairview makes a QC with integrated shut-off. If you aren't going to use them, please let me know where you are going to camp so I won't be there. You have to see a brother-in-law in a body suit to really appreciate what a propane explosion can do.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #6

Great advice guys, thanks for your input. Most of the time when we go camping I take one of the tanks off the front of the trailer at the campsite and use a high pressure hose to connect to my BBQ and Coleman stove. I have a splitter valve with shut offs so I can run them both at the same time if I need to. The quick connect line is convenient for using the BBQ that came with my trailer, but I prefer using my previous equipment.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote