Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2022, 11:16 AM   #1

Macerator roulette

We rarely boondock. Like once or twice a season. I'm getting a macerator for those rare times, so I can pump the black/grey into the pit toilets.

I'm thinking about one of those flexing, expandable hoses on the macerator.

Thinking about it.
Since I'm not thrilled about 100' of garden hose lying around.

Half of me says to try it, the other half says "When it fails, you're going to have one helluva mess..."

What say you macerator owners?
Is the pump pressure significant that it would give you pause?
Is this a classic "Hold my beer and watch this!" move???

And when I say "try it", I'll bench test it with clean water.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:48 AM   #2

I do not have one, but I have considered getting one that you latches on when needed (see link). I figured I would want one that uses a garden hose. My thought, the garden hose connections is less likely to fail than a larger diameter hose, that uses hose clamps at the fittings. Also the garden hose coils up into a small package when not being used, with the ends connected to keep it from leaking all over the place.

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Portab...%2C297&sr=8-20

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #3

I have a 50' ZeroG expandable hose and an on board macerator. I have used both standard garden hose and the ZeroG hose and I'll never use the ZeroG again for poo pumping. The ZeroG restricts the pumping and surges when the macerator is doing some heavy grinding. It works but it slows the pumping down compared to a regular hose.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:04 PM   #4

I have a portable twist on macerator that I use on occasion at home to dump into my sewer cleanout. My advice is DO NOT use an expandable hose. The "slurry" created by the macerator does not pass well through the smaller diameter hose. I agree with not wanting 100 foot of hose lying around but from experience, you will not want to use the smaller hose.

I started with a 5/8 inch hose and went even bigger and have had great results with a 3/4 inch diameter hose.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #5

I hear not wanting to haul long heavy poop garden hoses, but as mentioned above, they are needed for the macerator pump. 3/4 inch is recommended.

We had a travel trailer permanently parked at a campground for 20 years and I used the pump to pump 50 feet to the portable tank to haul to the dump station. A good rubber hose is your friend.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 01:20 PM   #6

Sold! Thank you all! I'll just resign myself to dragging along a big hose. Conventional style hose.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:48 PM   #7

FYI,

Dollar Tree Stores sell large closeable plastic bags that will hold a coiled hose. (Think Baggie type seal!)

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:17 AM   #8

i have two sections of this stuff (pond hose) from HomeDepot. I installed the one inch bayonet connectors and works great.. I haven't had to use both sections together yet but nice to have the extra in case. Remember, some locations will permit dumping in the ports potties, many won't..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOTALPON...4117/202017063
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #9

Portable Macerator

After reading this post yesterday, I started looking at portable macerators on Amazon. I found one for $80 and free overnight shipping. The closest dump station to my home is a local RV Campground about 5 miles away, and the cost is $20/dump.

We went on a dry camping trip a couple of weeks ago, and our next trip got delayed due to scheduling conflicts, so my tanks needed emptying.

I have a sewer clean out about 20 feet and slightly uphill from where the 5th wheel is parked. I decided that a $80 portable macerator needed to be ordered.

Like magic, it was on my doorstep when I awakened this morning.

The macerator comes with a cigarette lighter plug. I cut the cigarette lighter plug off and added a inline fuse holder, and a couple of appropriate alligator clips to connect directly to the battery.

I emptied the tanks with the macerator. I found that I was able to get more of my gray kitchen tank empty with the macerator that was creating a little suction on the gray tank. If I turned off the macerator and let gravity do the work, nothing would flow out of the gray tank. However when I turned on the macerator, there would be a stream of liquid that flowed from the gray tank. Yes, my 5th wheel is completely level.

The macerator pump current was steady at 12A (rated at 15A).

After emptying the black tank, I ran the tank flush until the black tank was full and let it sit for a while. I filled it until I could see water rising in the toilet drain pipe. Emptying the black tank with the macerator (35 gal) from complete full took 10 mins. I used an old 5/8 garden hose that I cut down to about 25 feet.

David

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 24.5CKTS (new to me 9/2022)
2016 F250 6.7L CCSB 4x4 - AirLift 5000
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
David_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:05 PM   #10

Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
We rarely boondock. Like once or twice a season. I'm getting a macerator for those rare times, so I can pump the black/grey into the pit toilets.

I'm thinking about one of those flexing, expandable hoses on the macerator.

Thinking about it.
Since I'm not thrilled about 100' of garden hose lying around.

Half of me says to try it, the other half says "When it fails, you're going to have one helluva mess..."

What say you macerator owners?
Is the pump pressure significant that it would give you pause?
Is this a classic "Hold my beer and watch this!" move???

And when I say "try it", I'll bench test it with clean water.
Mine will pump 75’ through a 3/4” rubber hose. Rinse well after use.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:49 PM   #11

Talk of poop spraying, clogging and catastrophe?! Comment and subscribe

I am a huge macerator fan! The pressure of the line at the dump station is not worth it. We pump at home into sewer clean out and take our time AND actually get everything out. My run is 100’ in 3/4” hose.
JayLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:54 PM   #12

I just realized the original poster already resolved, lol. Here we are carrying on about all sorts of sh*t.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:30 PM   #13

Portable Macerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLo View Post
I just realized the original poster already resolved, lol. Here we are carrying on about all sorts of sh*t.

However, the original poster resolved his question a while ago. I solved my dump at home questions with a solution from this thread without having to start a new post. Part of the complete RV experience is dumping the sh*t.

David

Old 11-08-2022, 05:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_ski View Post
However, the original poster resolved his question a while ago. I solved my dump at home questions with a solution from this thread without having to start a new post. Part of the complete RV experience is dumping the sh*t.
Awesome! Dumping at home changed the whole experience for me. Here is what I got and I love it.

Macerator Pump for RV, 12V Motor... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09H23W7RR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Heavy Duty 180W/15A AC to DC... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RV783TY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Old 11-09-2022, 06:26 AM   #15

And an old thread has me interested. My question is I'll have an uphill run to me sewer clean out at home. It's about a one foot per ten foot rise. Once the tank is empty, won't there be some liquid remaining in the hose? Is it hand over hand to drain the hose or will the pump somehow force the hose to drain until the last drop?
Old 11-09-2022, 07:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
And an old thread has me interested. My question is I'll have an uphill run to me sewer clean out at home. It's about a one foot per ten foot rise. Once the tank is empty, won't there be some liquid remaining in the hose? Is it hand over hand to drain the hose or will the pump somehow force the hose to drain until the last drop?
I have a similar rate of rise to my clean out. There is usually some residual water left in the hose but not all that much. I always use the same thought process as when dumping using the gravity method and do grey water last.

When I disconnect the hose from the macerator, I still do the hand over hand thing anyway just because...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:04 AM   #17

Quote:
This shut off has a large hole. Could work to to shut after grey, then gravity from there.

HQMPC Super Heavy Duty 3/4" Brass Shut Off Valve Garden Hose Shut Off Valve Garden Hose Connector https://a.co/hxXeW9W
Old 11-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #18

Quote:
After the grey water flush and all drain valves are closed, you can connect a hose to the macerator and run clean hose water to flush the drain hose.

David

Old 11-09-2022, 11:40 AM   #19

Macerator failure

Seneca 37 TS 2018 Macerator will not cycle - not clogged-only rinse water in black & grey tanks - no power. Here are the questions:
1) repair if possible
2) replace if necessary
3) simply use the standard large slinky bypass
4) have the Thetford Macerator removed & replumb for standard gravity system

Thanks
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
Seneca 37 TS 2018 Macerator will not cycle - not clogged-only rinse water in black & grey tanks - no power. Here are the questions:
1) repair if possible
2) replace if necessary

Thanks
I presume you have already checked fuses and verified that 12V is getting to the pump.
If the pump has failed, it would require a pump replacement

Presume you have a 500S system

1) repair if possible
Replacement Pump ~$260 on Amazon

2) replace if necessary
New Sanicon 500s ~$350

Cost free

$20-30 in plumbing parts + labor

------

Before I purchased my current RV, I looked at the same model that had the Thetford macerator factory installed. I looked into costs of adding it into the RV we purchased, and I decided that portable macerator (~$80) was the way to go.

I can use the standard dump hose when we are at a campsite with a sewer connection next to the trailer, and I can hook up the portable macerator when I have it parked in my driveway.

The closest dump station to my house is ~5 miles away and costs $20/dump + fuel costs (~2 gallons). If the pump dies, it was only $80. The portable pump cost is less than four trips to a dump station. Not that I want to, but I can buy a bunch of portable pumps for the cost of a Sanicon system.

Choice #1 is 75% of the cost of a new macerator system. A portable macerator is 1/3 the cost of a pump repair.

That is my reasoning for choice #4.

David