Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #1

Mounting Television

I have a 2007 Jayco Eagle 325BHS 5th wheel that came with the analog TV and it was not until the 2008 model year that Jayco started putting in the lighter LCD TV's. I checked out a newer unit and saw that they mounted a bracket on the wooden picture frame which allows the user to open a lock, swinging back the picture frame which is hinged to gain access to rear of TV and possible a storage area for CD,s, DVD's etc.

I contacted Jayco to find out where I could buy the bracket and then I could modify the picture frame myself, but I never got a call back.

Has anybody with the analog TV found a way of doing a mod similar to this? I really don't want to mount anything on the back of the cabinet, and I would like to be able to install a 32 inch TV or as close as possible. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. That 32 inch analog TV weighs a ton when taking it out, so weight is another factor on doing the mod.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #2

Not too sure how to mount a tube TV. Especially a large size heavy weight 32" TV. Today, LCDs are low cost and very light weight. Due to weight bouncing up/down, it might be best (especially in the long run) to sell your current 32" tube TV and replace with much lighter 32" LCD TV. Then, mount this new LCD TV using the same method on 20005+ TTs. If planning to keep your TT for many years, converting to new technology (which is also lighter weight) LCD would be best in the long run...

Hope this helps - some how...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike99 View Post
Not too sure how to mount a tube TV. Especially a large size heavy weight 32" TV. Today, LCDs are low cost and very light weight. Due to weight bouncing up/down, it might be best (especially in the long run) to sell your current 32" tube TV and replace with much lighter 32" LCD TV. Then, mount this new LCD TV using the same method on 20005+ TTs. If planning to keep your TT for many years, converting to new technology (which is also lighter weight) LCD would be best in the long run...

Hope this helps - some how...

I probably was not clear. I meant changing out my analog TV to a LCD or LED TV and mounting it to my picture frame. I checked one out at a Jayco dealer and saw that the bracket when mounted to the picture frame allowed a person to drop the TV into the bracket where it appeared to be very sturdy.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
I probably was not clear. I meant changing out my analog TV to a LCD or LED TV and mounting it to my picture frame. I checked one out at a Jayco dealer and saw that the bracket when mounted to the picture frame allowed a person to drop the TV into the bracket where it appeared to be very sturdy.
If I understand, you are looking for a bracket to go between the back of the LCD TV, and the picture frame (wall?). If so, this type of bracket can be found at computer stores and TV stores like Future Shop. Maybe you are looking for something different though.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #5

I am a little confused by the picture frame you mean but if you want a TV mount that moves and locks in place for travel then look at this. Mor-ride TV mount model TV1-006H.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I am a little confused by the picture frame you mean but if you want a TV mount that moves and locks in place for travel then look at this. Mor-ride TV mount model TV1-006H.
What I mean by the picture frame is that if you had a TV in an older Jayco there is a frame that pretty much hold the analog TV in place and if you wish to remove the TV you must pop out the plugs hiding the screws, remove the screws and the bracket or wooden frame (picture) comes off. My idea is to put hinges on the frame, add a bracket to the back of the picture frame and then mount an LED or LCD to the bracket (or drop in) and then put a lock on the unhinged side to keep it closed. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post. This is also the manner in which new TV's are mounted by Jayco, at least that is what I have seen. I have checked with several electronic shops but haven't seen anything that compares. I don't want the telescoping type. I will check out the Mor-ride mount.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #7

Many newer Jaycos mount the TV in the door of a cabinet in the bedroom. The center panel comes out, leaving only the frame which resembles a picture frame. The door has two sets of hinges to accomodate the additional weight. There is a u shaped bracket fastend to the back of the cabinet door frame to mount the TV on. To view the TV, one opens the cabinet door to the desired angle (the TV is viewed through the open center of the door). To transport, one merely closes the door (although I would feel safer with a more positive catch instead of the friction catch). I'm guessing the largest TV that would fit in there would be a 22" so the bracket Jayco uses wouldn't work with a 32". That would also be a lot of weight for the door frame and hinges and, without reinforcement, would never.

If you have your heart set on mounting the TV to the back of a cabinet frame (nothing wrong with that), you will need to first reinforce the door frame. I would suggest backing the frame with a single piece of steel or aluminum the size of the doors outside dimensions and with the center cut out to the same size as the inside of the door frame. With the weight you will be dealing with, I would not try to depend on mere corner brackets. Use hinges rated for at least 150% the weight of the TV and cabinet door combined (keep in mind the apparent weight of the TV will increase when bouncing down the road). It will probably be necessary to use two sets of hinges. Bolt the hinges through the door frame and metal backing; don't just use screws in the wood since they could strip out. It would be a good idea to use a strip of steel or aluminum to back up the cabinet frame where the hinges will attach to the cabinet and also use bolts through both the frame and the backer.

You will need to fabricate a bracket to hold the TV to the door (bending it will be challenging so you may want to have a shop with a brake to do the bends for you). If you can, try to go to a Jayco Dealer and look inside some of the Eagles that might have this set up to get an idea how it may be done. The one I can think of off the top of my head is the 330RLTS travel trailer. Or mayhap someone here can post some pictures.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Many newer Jaycos mount the TV in the door of a cabinet in the bedroom. The center panel comes out, leaving only the frame which resembles a picture frame. The door has two sets of hinges to accomodate the additional weight. There is a u shaped bracket fastend to the back of the cabinet door frame to mount the TV on. To view the TV, one opens the cabinet door to the desired angle (the TV is viewed through the open center of the door). To transport, one merely closes the door (although I would feel safer with a more positive catch instead of the friction catch). I'm guessing the largest TV that would fit in there would be a 22" so the bracket Jayco uses wouldn't work with a 32". That would also be a lot of weight for the door frame and hinges and, without reinforcement, would never.

If you have your heart set on mounting the TV to the back of a cabinet frame (nothing wrong with that), you will need to first reinforce the door frame. I would suggest backing the frame with a single piece of steel or aluminum the size of the doors outside dimensions and with the center cut out to the same size as the inside of the door frame. With the weight you will be dealing with, I would not try to depend on mere corner brackets. Use hinges rated for at least 150% the weight of the TV and cabinet door combined (keep in mind the apparent weight of the TV will increase when bouncing down the road). It will probably be necessary to use two sets of hinges. Bolt the hinges through the door frame and metal backing; don't just use screws in the wood since they could strip out. It would be a good idea to use a strip of steel or aluminum to back up the cabinet frame where the hinges will attach to the cabinet and also use bolts through both the frame and the backer.

You will need to fabricate a bracket to hold the TV to the door (bending it will be challenging so you may want to have a shop with a brake to do the bends for you). If you can, try to go to a Jayco Dealer and look inside some of the Eagles that might have this set up to get an idea how it may be done. The one I can think of off the top of my head is the 330RLTS travel trailer. Or mayhap someone here can post some pictures.
Jeannie, you are partially right but this is the main TV in the living room area, not the bedroom. The bracket is mounted on the frame or picture frame and the TV is dropped into the metal bracket. It holds a 32 inch LCD. I did have pictures of a 2010 Jayco Eagle 5th wheel that I took at a dealer but somehow I deleted them off my computer. It is a simple mod IF I can find the bracket but Jayco is not at all cooperative in supplying the information as to where I could buy the bracket. I checked out the Mor-ride TV mount but this is not what I am looking for. Also there is no door on the entertainment center of the Jayco Eagles, at least not the 5th wheels.

Mike
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #9

I haven't seen a setup like that that would take a 32" TV (that doen't mean they don't exist) and I haven't seen a TV mounted in a cabinet door except in a bedroom. Of course, since I don't want a 5ver, I haven't prowled through very many.

I remember reading somewhere that, to be be to order parts from jayco, you have to have the VIN number. If you could find what you need in a trailer at a dealer, get the VIN from that unit (I keep a small but nice camera in my purse that makes a nice protable "scanner") and ask the dealer if they will order the part for you. Jayco might be more willing to "play ball" with a dealer.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I haven't seen a setup like that that would take a 32" TV (that doen't mean they don't exist) and I haven't seen a TV mounted in a cabinet door except in a bedroom. Of course, since I don't want a 5ver, I haven't prowled through very many.

I remember reading somewhere that, to be be to order parts from jayco, you have to have the VIN number. If you could find what you need in a trailer at a dealer, get the VIN from that unit (I keep a small but nice camera in my purse that makes a nice protable "scanner") and ask the dealer if they will order the part for you. Jayco might be more willing to "play ball" with a dealer.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/attachmen...1&d=1307193791

I hope these come through. I found these on my computer, and this is what I mean by the bracket and how it is mounted on the picture frame. I bought a 32 inch Vizeo TV when I was in Yuma last year and except for the mount the TV did sit in the open cabinet but without a mount. I did not have a digital box as they were not needed in Canada (will be needed this August) and finding a digital box was hard to find. I found one 2 weeks later but in the mean time I bought this Vizeo at Walmart and used it because my Spanish is like my French (nil) and all I was getting was Spanish stations from Mexico. I also want to eliminate the weight of the old analog TV.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC0552.jpg   GEDC0549.jpg   GEDC0551.jpg  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #11

Alberta. Now I understand. I have these brackets in my BR for a 22" TV that came factory. Although there is no brand or markings on the frames I am thinking that they might be custom for Jayco. There are a few ways you can do this. First if you can order the factory setup or if you're handy and creative you could fabricate one from some store bought items. If you do your own beef up the hinges by way of a piano hinge or a third center hinge to take the weight when moving and when open. If you get some oak you could build out from behind the frame and screw and glue them togehter thus giving you the clearence you need from the face frame for the tv. This might take three pieces of 1 x 2 to achieve the proper distance. Other option is cabinet grade ply wood. Make sure you pilot hole the oak and use good quality screws. Then you can use a flat flush mount tv bracket to mount on angle iron screwed into the blocks. The angle iron comes pre drilled if you get the shelving type sold in most home improvement stores and you can cut it to length. Best option is to go to a local welding shop and have angle iron cut and pre-drilled to accept your bracket. Then you can paint it black and have a nice finished look. Probaly about $50.00-$75.00 in parts if you shop the bracket right. Mono price has them for under $10.00. I have not seen or searched for these type brackets but I am sure they are specialized. Also there is a car hatch shock closer mounted on my door which keeps the tv in the open or closed position which you should condider mounting on yours so it does not pop open while going down the road. Good luck.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Alberta. Now I understand. I have these brackets in my BR for a 22" TV that came factory. Although there is no brand or markings on the frames I am thinking that they might be custom for Jayco. There are a few ways you can do this. First if you can order the factory setup or if you're handy and creative you could fabricate one from some store bought items. If you do your own beef up the hinges by way of a piano hinge or a third center hinge to take the weight when moving and when open. If you get some oak you could build out from behind the frame and screw and glue them togehter thus giving you the clearence you need from the face frame for the tv. This might take three pieces of 1 x 2 to achieve the proper distance. Other option is cabinet grade ply wood. Make sure you pilot hole the oak and use good quality screws. Then you can use a flat flush mount tv bracket to mount on angle iron screwed into the blocks. The angle iron comes pre drilled if you get the shelving type sold in most home improvement stores and you can cut it to length. Best option is to go to a local welding shop and have angle iron cut and pre-drilled to accept your bracket. Then you can paint it black and have a nice finished look. Probaly about $50.00-$75.00 in parts if you shop the bracket right. Mono price has them for under $10.00. I have not seen or searched for these type brackets but I am sure they are specialized. Also there is a car hatch shock closer mounted on my door which keeps the tv in the open or closed position which you should condider mounting on yours so it does not pop open while going down the road. Good luck.
Some good ideas here but I am not that handy to attempt something like you suggest, but if I could find this set up then I could do the mount myself. Jayco was not very helpful when I phoned last year. It was suggested that I obtain a serial number from a newer Jayco with this set up. I may give that a whirl. Thanks again!!!