Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

MPPT controller install location

All,

I purchased a 100W Renology setup with a 20A Rover MPPT controller. My main focus for the system is to just keep the house battery charged while not in use. I've scanned through the posts and online, but I haven't seen any guidance on proper controller location outside keeping it close to the battery. My RV (2018 Greyhawk 31FS) is pre-wired for solar and while I haven't found the lines under the chassis, it appears they should be near the battery compartment in a little fiberglass mold.

The Greyhawk as several outside storage compartments, the one next to the battery compartment perhaps 10" tall, 2' long and 12" deep. The compartment is water tight/plastic bin. The manual for the MPPT says 6" clear top and bottom of the controller and well ventilated. If I place the controller in here, it may have 3" clearance on the top and 3" on the bottom. Since its sealed, there isn't any ventilation, but it has enough room to dissipate some heat and its not insulated.

I haven't installed solar before so I'm not I'm not sure how much heat the charger creates. Is it safe to put in this location or should I wire the charger up into the coach? (all the outside compartments are these smaller sealed plastic bins) At some point I may add another 100W panel. I purchased a bluetooth module for monitoring so I don't need to see the controller.

The battery compartment and storage bin is under a slide. Attaching a few pics for reference and a wiring scheme from Jayco. It does show the 8GA wiring from the roof going to the main harness. Not sure what 'main harness' means or the black dots, but I'll worry about that after I find the wires.

Thanks-
Old 12-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #2

What makes you thing the wires should be in a little fiberglass mold? Some units have the wires behind a wall with the location identified by a label with some drilling required.

Have you called Jayco and asked them where the wires are located?

On my Accolade the wires were in the storage compartment next to the bay compartment.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

Just going from manual.

"The (black ABS) solar prep box is located in a basement compartment of the RV and is marked with a solar prep label (indicating wire colors and polarity). There is also an additional label indicating the RV is wired for solar."

That is the box I need to find, hopefully near the battery compartment. I have not seen it in a storage compartment.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post

That is the box I need to find, hopefully near the battery compartment. I have not seen it in a storage compartment.
My solar connector is on the right side of the rig, first compartment down from the stairs (batteries). Look up inside all of your compartments with a flashlight to the top rear of the compartments. That's where you might find the black solar connector cover.

Plus, my shore power cord is in that compartment on the left side, under the slide, that you pointed as "bat". My actual batteries are under the stairs coming into the coach.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I'll be looking for the cables.

What I'm really looking for input to put the MPPT in the small closed storage bin or if I should wire it up in the chassis where has more room to breathe. Since the storage bin water tight, there's no ventilation and I don't want to get in a dangerous situation where something melts or catches on fire. The rig is stored at a facility, so there's no one to keep an eye on it if it over heats. I would imagine the rover has a temp sensor for itself to auto shutdown and perhaps I'll just lose efficiency if it does start to get hot. I just don't want to get a call that the rig is on fire.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #6

Just following back up on this. The solar wires (2 wires that terminate in the storage bin, don't go anywhere else) were in the storage bin next to the battery compartment, I just never got low enough to see them up in the corner.

Given the storage bin is ~ 10" tall, 2' long and 12" deep and I'm only going to have a single 100W panel at the moment, should I create air vents to dissipate heat? I thought about putting in one or two 4" dryer vents with screens/shields or possibly a few short 1" tubes with screens attached to keep insects and the like out. However, if I open it, will I create a condensation issue which would be bad news as well. I'm not sure how much heat the MPPT will create and if I should leave it sealed or open to vent heat.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
battery solar.png  
Old 01-20-2020, 12:31 AM   #7

Hey Mini,

Looking at your pictures it seems like we have similar set ups. I installed my MPPT controller on the back wall. Haven't had any problems with it there. If you are really worried about it do what you said and drill some vent holes up high to get some air movement. Don't forget to add some sort of screen to keep the critters out.

Rob
Old 03-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #8

Finally got this installed today. Drilled four 1" holes in the back for ventiliation, 2 top, 2 in the middle. Used rubber grommets in the holes with nylon screen to keep the bugs out. Built a square attached to storage and ran all the wires with two breakers. One from the battery and another from solar. Now just need to hope it stays cool enough in there.
Attached Thumbnails
20200321_194539.jpg