Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

My Direct TV upgrade in my 324BHTS

Just wanted to share some upgrades I made to my trailer.

I have been running on a non HD portable dish and one receiver since my 2001 Qwest days and carried that set-up over to my 18' 324. After about 15-20 nights, I just wasn't happy with the non HD part.

I have Direct at home and have been very happy with it for many years.

So I started researching and thinking and discovered the wireless DTV receivers. Didn't know much about them, but knew to upgrade to HD I would need to convert to a SWM system, change the dish, and do a bit of re-wiring.

Once I mapped it out I got started and went with the main Genie server in the living room, a wired mini client in the master bedroom, and a wireless reciever on the outside TV.

For those not familiar with a SWM system, it turns the coax in the RV basically into a network system.

One wire from the dish to the RV.
Install SWM splitter in cubby hole where all the wires enter the RV.
New Genie is the power supply, so no need for a power inserter.
Then installed the DTV wireless video bridge behind the bunkhouse TV, right behind the wall from the outside kitchen TV.

I purchased everything on Amazon. Did have an argument with DTV when activating the wireless receiver (after flawless activation of the Main Server and the wired mini client) but once we got past that, everything worked perfect!!

So one reason I wanted wireless outside is we set up a TV on the picnic table where we do 90% of our camping, and I thought it would be cool to only need power to the TV and wireless receiver, IF the signal would reach from the rear of the RV (from the wireless video bridge) out to the picnic table. It works and works stellar I must say!!

Some may say "Dude you are camping, turn that crap off" but we camp and ride dirt bikes. Dirt bike time ends at 6pm. Then we watch Supercross on TV in front of the fire!!

Ohh and I also gained 1TB of DVR capability with the main server and I loaded it up with shows we like, for those rainy days, and I haven't filled it above 17% yet!

Negatives?? Of course I had to upgrade the dish to the larger one, and its a bit more to aim, but so far easier than I expected. I have the benefit of using the same pavillion where we camp so I have some U bolts that go around one pavillion leg and so far....so far...its worked great.

Transporting the dish is more challenging, but so far we are dealing with it just fine. Totally worth gaining HD, three TV's can watch separate shows, and gained DVR!

Upgrading to the billy bad-a$# roof mount auto dish would be ideal, but my wallet isn't ready for that. DTV does miss the boat in portable HD capability for sure, but due to my home set-up, and issues my camping buddy has had with Dish, I wasn't interested in changing.

Greg
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #2

Do you have to watch the same channel on all the TV's. I am trying to find a way to wirelessly to mirror my living room TV to my bedroom. What did you have to purchase?
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Do you have to watch the same channel on all the TV's. I am trying to find a way to wirelessly to mirror my living room TV to my bedroom. What did you have to purchase?
No mine is set up that each TV can watch whatever it wants, and all three can pull off of the DVR separately.

The SWM dish I have sends 7 (I think) inputs across the network.
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
Old 12-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #4

Do you have part numbers?
Old 12-14-2018, 05:23 AM   #5

I have a Genie and 1 Genie Mini (wired), HD, Whole Home. My 2 TV's can see whatever channel they want and even play a recorded program at the same time at different locations on the recording. I have had this setup ever since DirecTV came out with WholeHome years ago. The Genie Mini replaced an HR24 DVR a few years back which I also used with the Genie. My antenna is a Slimline on a tripod from tv4rv.com.
System works great.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas111 View Post
Do you have part numbers?
HR54 is the main Genie server/receiver in the living room.

C41W is the wireless client/receiver thats outside

Wireless Video Bridge is the name of the wirelss router needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Many SWM splitters are out there but below is the one I used. Sat feed into the input and then the wireless video bridge off of another terminal, and the coax going to the living room on another terminal, and lastly, the bedroom coax into another terminal.

Last item you need is a SWM dish with a single wire LNB, not the LNB with 5 coax wires coming off of it (the old stuff).

2018 F-150 Ecoboost