Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

Narrowing in on chronic issue - water pump

I've had my 2016 27RLS trailer in to the dealer 3 times for this issue and it persists - very aggrivating. This last time they replaced the water pump completely. Every time I think we have it licked it comes back.

The water pump will cycle for 1/2 second every 5-10 minutes or so.

Here are the facts of some analysis:

1. Dealer reports no leaks in system (not sure if I trust that). Although I've never seen a leak anywhere (ground etc).

2. Water pressure on pump is fine.

3. Happens more when outside temp < 50 or so. This make issue tricky because it doesn't happen in warmer Phoenix weather at dealer. Contraction issue? We get to campsite where it's 75, coming from Phx where it's 95 now and it doesn't happen all first afternoon. Night temps hit 45-55 and it starts.

4. Water heater can be on or off it doesn't affect issue. Still happens.

5. Water pump is brand new

I'd appreciate some guidance for further analysis.

Thank you in advance!!
2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #2

Check your valve in the toilet to make sure it's closing. Something is allowing the pressure to bleed off triggering the pump.

My current rig will do the same but it's about every three or for hours and it just blips on for a very short duration. I have no evidence of a leak either and never really thought much of it. My suspicion has always been that when the pump is not working pressure is slowly bled off back through the pump into the water tank. I've considered it normal behavior and never thought much of it as our habit is too turn the pump off when it's not being used anyway (Old habit from grandma when we were kids).
Old 06-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #3

Thanks Rusty - How do you check the valve in the toilet? Ours just has the foot lever on the side.
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 06-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #4

I agree with Rustysocket the pressure is bleeding back to the water tank. To test it, pressurize the system and then pitch off the water line from the tank to the pump. A small C-clamp or vice grips will do the trick and won't harm the hose.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
Thanks Rusty - How do you check the valve in the toilet? Ours just has the foot lever on the side.
I was just thinking out loud of places where it could leak that wouldn't drip on the floor. I guess I would dry the bowl real well and just look to see if water accumulates on the flapper.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

rgchak - Yes good suggestions but after 3 trips (and my losing my cool with the dealer) I would have to think they did all that? who knows

NOTE:
I just now went in and studied the toilet. We have a full size toilet, and the ring of water outlet holes around the top inside of the bowl is ever so slightly "weeping" little occasional drips of water down into the bowl. You see a bit of water well up in the hole, then ebb back, then put a drip down.

My wife likes it cool at night, so I usually kick the heater on in the morning. That could explain the temperature relationship to the issue.

Thoughts?
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 06-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #7

Regarding the dealer, if they replaced the pump with new it's likely within the design spec of the pump.

Clamp off your toilet line, or lift up on the lever to see if it seals the valve better. Sounds like you may have found the issue.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #8

Get yourself an "accumulator" (Google RV Water Accumulator). Less than $50, very easy to install, and greatly limits how often the water pump cycles.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

My water pump will also cycle for 1/2 second every couple hours. I too have no signs of a leak. I started to assume it was the hot water heater bleeding off pressure periodically.

If you figure it out let us know. We might have the same issue, if it's even an issue.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #10

Clubhouse - I've definitely been told it's a problem. It's not a show stopper, and almost not worth the hassle of taking it to the dealer for them to(not) fix it.

It does wear the battery down though if you leave it on at night and it starts cycling
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 06-03-2016, 05:05 AM   #11

I've also had this "burping" issue for over two years, now. At first it was about once an hour; eventually worked its way up to ever 2-3 minutes. about two weeks ago, my water heater (on electric) was running almost constantly and making a lot of noise. I figured it had some sludge in it, so turned it off, let it cool down, turned off the pump and drained it. A lot of gunk came out! Turned the pump back on and refilled the tank; then turned on the water heater. What a difference! Almost silent, now. It also cut down on the frequency of the "burping"/ghost-cycling of the water pump, but it still did it about once every 1/2 hour.

A couple of days later, it occurred to me that I could use one of the two low-point drains to fill the dog's outside water dish - which sits directly underneath the drain. (Don't know why it took so long to figure that out. Must be a "Senior Issue".) Anyway, Within a couple of hours, I noticed the burping was gone! Still did it a couple of times a day, so I drained a little out of the second low-point drain. Now the burping is completely gone! Don't know why this combination of actions worked, but it did! You might give it a try.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:11 AM   #12

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will look into the options.

compared to some of the problems I've read about people having, this is minor.

Disappointing though. When I picked up the trailer there were a lot of fit-and-finish issues as well.
2 x Golden Retrievers
Old 06-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #13

The pump also has a check valve that holds the pressure in the lines. If the check valve is weeping a bit, it would go back into the water tank and you would never see it. Since water is non-compressible, it doesn't take much of a leak for the pump pressure switch to see a pressure drop. Back off the pressure setting slightly and your problem should go away or at least lessen in frequency. The accumulator mentioned by another poster would cure the problem.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #14

And, you could just turn the pump off when not using water.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #15
Site Team

Just for fun, if you have a outside shower, make sure the valves are closed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #16

I have actually just been turning the pump off at night and will look into the accumulator.

We love the trailer, but man.... some of the quality issues are bad. And we heard Jayco was the best of them before we bought.

Our dinette bench was completely loose, shower door obviously mis-installed, bottom of one of the wards was hanging unstapled, the water pump thing, a hole in a screen. All fixed by the dealer except the water pump and they had 3 shots at it.
2 x Golden Retrievers