Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2020, 06:02 PM   #1

Navigation app or system?

Cant find any recent info on this...

I know Waze is great and google maps serves its purpose however I am looking for a more RV dedicated way of navigating. My last google maps issue took me down a back road full of low trees and it was a disaster!

Co-Pilot
Gamen
MCnally

Anyone have great luck with an inexpensive means for accurate navigation for RV's.

Thanks, excited for my 1st trip in my new Motorhome!
CreekLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
RPR

Research route before leaving. I look at route suggested by RV gps, google maps etc. Satellite view will show you a lot. Do not put all your eggs in one basket. No matter what you hear no one system is perfect. When I am going a route for first time I plan plan plan then sit back and enjoy the ride.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #3

Never mind. Found a good thread for this. Still wondering about co pilot though
Old 01-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Research route before leaving. I look at route suggested by RV gps, google maps etc. Satellite view will show you a lot. Do not put all your eggs in one basket. No matter what you hear no one system is perfect. When I am going a route for first time I plan plan plan then sit back and enjoy the ride.
I agree with this, I check out my route multiple ways before heading down the road.

Then, I bought a Garmin RV770 for in the rig, which comes with many usable RV informational points (campgrounds, fuel, propane, road warnings, etc.). I won't use my phone for navigation, that's for calls and texts.

Quote:
Anyone have great luck with an inexpensive means for accurate navigation for RV's.
Remember, you get what you pay for. Is the safety of your rig and occupants worth it?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I agree with this, I check out my route multiple ways before heading down the road.

Then, I bought a Garmin RV770 for in the rig, which comes with many usable RV informational points (campgrounds, fuel, propane, road warnings, etc.). I won't use my phone for navigation, that's for calls and texts.

Remember, you get what you pay for. Is the safety of your rig and occupants worth it?
Inexpensive as in not 1,000 for a new deck.
I also research but what you cant always plan for is avoidable issues like, accidents, road construction, last minute lane closures etc. I research and plan to death but would like a means of last minute route changes and such. Hence asking about co-pilot app. I would use it on a screen such as an Ipad mini. I am leaning towards the Garmin unit. The reason I am hesitant is I have had bad luck with Garmin but that has been years and years ago. I believe Google maps does an incredible job for passenger cars but need something a bit more comprehensive.

So the question is not, should I plan ahead of time with maps, rather as a back up what system is recommended for navigating while in route.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekLife View Post
Inexpensive as in not 1,000 for a new deck.
My Garmin was like $300.

Quote:
I also research but what you cant always plan for is avoidable issues like, accidents, road construction, last minute lane closures etc. I research and plan to death but would like a means of last minute route changes and such.
I don't worry about things like that, I'm on vacation, and don't plan my activities that tight that a construction delay or accident screws up my plans... Slow down and enjoy the ride....

Quote:
I am leaning towards the Garmin unit. The reason I am hesitant is I have had bad luck with Garmin but that has been years and years ago.
If you read multiple threads here, the Garmin units get the highest ratings and reviews out of all available units. Basing it on what happened years ago, when many new units/systems have been produced since, might not be a fair comparison. I've used Garmins for at least 15 - 20 years, multiple units in multiple cars, with no issues.

Quote:
So the question is not, should I plan ahead of time with maps, rather as a back up what system is recommended for navigating while in route.
And that's exactly how I make my decisions. I want a dedicated navigation system that's not a shared platform with other tasks (like having to answer a phone call when trying to find a location).

That's why I installed the RV770. I also have GPS built into the stereo, which is crappy, as a back up. And then, if needed, I can go to Google maps on a phone as a third backup.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
And then, if needed, I can go to Google maps on a phone as a third backup.
I'm amused to see that nobody has mentioned the Ultimate Backup...

Back in the Stone Age, we had these things, printed on paper, which were robust enough to survive dead batteries or loss of network access. I believe they were hand-drawn by monks, somewhere.

Hard to believe, I know, but we survived, somehow :-)

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Back in the Stone Age, we had these things, printed on paper, which were robust enough to survive dead batteries or loss of network access. I believe they were hand-drawn by monks, somewhere.

Hard to believe, I know, but we survived, somehow :-)

Ha.... go ask anyone under 40 what that is, and watch the look on their face...
Old 01-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
CAG

DEVGRU uses Garmin as do several other special ops groups. Some others are used at various times but Garmin has been the fall back.

I have had and used Garmin for more years than I can remember. I still have three. One field unit and two vehicle. I had one, over those years, that I thought gave me questionable data. That unit was replaced by Garmin no questions asked.

I use a combination of Sat. sources. A phone works fine as long as I can download maps but if you don't or can't before you loose Sat coverage you are SOL so more than one is good and a dedicated GPS is best.

There are a couple of programs (aps) that you can get for GPS or phone, mainly phone that will give you overpass heights and other pertinent info for RVs.

And yes, the fall back is good old paper (actually laminated now days).

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #10

I use the older Garmin 760 . It has lifetime updates you can do each quarter and if you have the Garmin App on your phone you get traffic warnings also.
IF I had a radio with the ability to display Apple or Android CarPlay I would get one of the rv gps apps also & have it on screen. I also keep maps and when heading to new country look it over so I have some familiarity.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #11

I am looking at the Garmin 770. I don't see any that come with a windshield/dashboad mount or power cable. Do u have to buy the accessories extra?
unzinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by unzinators View Post
I am looking at the Garmin 770. I don't see any that come with a windshield/dashboad mount or power cable. Do u have to buy the accessories extra?
All the new ones come with a power cable and a windshield suction cup. If you want a specialty mount, they are extra.

I bought a surface mount ball, so I could mount mine on the dashboard.
Attached Thumbnails
GPS2.jpg  
Old 03-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #13

Perfect! Thanks
unzinators is offline   Reply With Quote