Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #11

I have heard of people doing this with the 30 amp and 20 amp plugs to get a little more juice...

I have not had a reason and don't plan to try it.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky66 View Post
A lot of campgrounds the adjoining site gets the other 30 amp outlet.
I have not seen two camp sights sharing one pedestal, but I'm sure it happens. This is what would scare me. If it was designed for adjoining camp sights, then it could be on the same leg (incoming hot wire) which means you could have an issue since it is not phased properly.

I have seen adapters that use a 30 amp and the 20 amp plugs, just never two 30 amps.

It is very common that a feed from the main panel serves two camp sights, typically, we set them up so they are not adjoining camp sights to eliminate this issue.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #13

This thread contains some misinformation and a lot of electrical misunderstanding.

norty1's power adapter is perfectly safe and will do the job it is designed for.

As for the fear of a "dead short" if the 30 amp receptacles are on the same "phase" this is not so. You would get 2 120V supplies to the 50 amp at the adapter receptacle. You would have 0 volts between the two hot legs of the receptacle. At the RV you would have the same thing that a 30 amp male to 50 amp female dogbone would provide.

In all likelihood when two 30 amp receptacles are found in the same pedestal they will be on different legs of the 240V circuits available.

The "phase" that is being referred to in these threads is the result of a 240 V center tapped secondary winding at the transformer. The center tap is the neutral and the two hot legs which are 180 degrees out of phase with each other.

Note: I am assuming the 30 amp receptacles ARE properly wired.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #14

Actually you would have more power with this arrangement, assuming it is all wired correctly than you would with a 30 to 50 dog bone. A single 30 amp circuit has only one hot, this would give you two hots, for a total of 60 amps of power or 7200 watts, twice what the single 30 amp would give you. This is why it is imperative the two 30 amp circuits be on apposing legs. If they were on the same leg, you would potentially have up to 60 amps on the neutral, something that is cancelled out when you use two phased legs.

When using a typical 50 to 30 amp dog bone, the two hot legs are fed by a single 30 amp hot leg, so a single neutral is not an issue. You get power to both sides of your breaker box, but total only 3600 watts.

Bottom line, yes, this will work, if the pedestal is wired correctly, which we have to assume it is. Other than cost to run a 50 amp line vs the second 30 amp line I can see no reason to have two 30 amp plugs on one pedestal, unless it is designed to be shared by two sights...something I have not seen either, even in very old campgrounds.

Enjoy camping, spring starts TOMORROW !