Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #1

Need More Power: Double up or start over?

Our 2015 Seismic 3210 spends a couple weeks at a time at dry camping areas with no services. Last year, even just running the fantastic fans during the day was enough to run us down to where we need to run the generator more than we'd like.

We would also like to add an inverter, charge controller and get some AC circuits going all the time so we don't need to fire up the generator to make coffee, or so the kids can watch a movie on rainy days.

Currently we have 2 x 6v Golf Cart batteries and our power source is the Cummins Onan 5500 Gold Generator. We have been using a 50A Smart Car Charger to speed up charge times during generator runs so we can go for shorter periods and put more power into the batteries, but it still isn't enough, and it needs to be connected and disconnected each time to properly function, so a built-in proper charge controller & inverter setup just makes sense.

So what I'd like to know is if we should double up and do 2 sets of 2x 6v Golf Carts and add to what we already have, or swap out the two I have now for something bigger? 2 x 12v "something else" batteries?

For placement, it looks like there is plenty of room directly above the existing batteries, in behind the propane tanks -LOTS of wasted space in there. I could fit in some kind of base (wood?) and secure the base to the top of the existing battery compartment, put two batteries in there and secure them to the base, and simply pass the wires down to the battery compartment to make the series-parallel connection so I stay at 12v but have double the amps....

Any suggestions? I'm a little out of my element, but I think its time for upgrades and modifications, now that we are off warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0359.jpg   IMG_0360.jpg  
goldenroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #2

Anyone have any input on this? Or did I post to the wrong category maybe?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Your definitely better off with the 6v gc batteries in series 2&2.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

Tech issues maybe a better place for this.

For consideration......I have 2 6V batts also. Total amp hours listed at 225.
I use a 120 watt portable foldable solar panel to keep those batts fully zapped and do not own a generator.

A 120 minute movie and 2 episodes of Blue Bloods,(from an external disc) powered by a 600 watt inverter to a dedicated outlet is no problem.
In the morning, those batts are 2/3rds full according to the system panel.

Within 2 to 3 hours, those batts are back at full charge using the solar panel.
I don't think a 600W inverter will kick off a electric coffee pot though.
It's normally chilly in the mornings where I camp and using a stove top percolator is nice for the added zap in heat.

Good luck with your issues of battery placement.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
M&A

Let me suggest one thing that might be affecting your external charger - if the house converter is also attempting to charge your batteries, the external charger will get a false reading for state of charge as the cycles progress. It will pause charging for measurements but see an artificially high voltage from the converter and switch to float long before the batteries are really topped off.
Null if the house charger is turned off or the 50A charger is not "smart".
Old 06-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #6

If would double up and 2 more 6 volt batteries, don't go back to the 12 volt batteries, they will not deliver like the 6 volts will, and the 6 volt batteries can handle an episode of low charge much better than the 12 volters

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #7

For me i think COST would be a big factor... You can purchase the 6V 220AH batteries from COSTCO for around $90 each... This will give you a good 440AH battery bank for around $360. If you changed out for four each 12V Trojan T-1275s (150AH each) the cost will be very high - probably around $175 each... This will give you a 600AH battery bank for $700.

Another issue here is your current two 6V 220AH batteries are now older and probably already started going down the less performance path. You would not want to add two newer 6V 220AHs batteries to this path. It has been reported by many users that adding new 'like' batteries to work with older 'same' batteries the new batteries will be eventually be pulled down to the performance level of the two older batteries... To get equal 'NEW' performance you would want to replace the older 6V batteries at the same time adding more cost again...

You can pretty much determine the better performance batteries by how much they weigh... Add up all of the batteries weights and costs to get the most bang for the bucks...

Just some of my thoughts here
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #8

You're correct. To get this to work, I killed the circuit that the house/onboard charger ran on and ran the 50A charger on its own. It put a lot more current in than the one that came with my Jayco. Looking to upgrade to a better built-in charge controller this summer. And maybe a power converter that doesn't "hum" constantly when plugged into shore power!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #9

Rather than spending even more money on more batteries, what you should do is add solar. Get about 200W-300W of solar and you likely would never have to use the genny unless you want to run the AC or microwave.
FYI, coffee makers and hair dryers are power hogs, learn to use a percolator.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #10
Site Team

The reason for the difference in max amp is because the JAYCO charge controller is designed for charging Deep Cycle Batteries with in the specifications set by the battery mfr. They charge the batteries with a SLOW charge. Deep Cycle batteries have different charging requirements than the standard automotive type battery that are designed for a FAST charge. Continued fast charging will have an effect on the life of your deep cycle batteries.

This is where SOLAR plays a big part in keeping your dry-camping powered up for a longer time. Granted, SOLAR is not for everyone, but is something that should be taken into consideration. IE: during the day my 250Watt SOLAR panel & MPPT SOLAR charge controller is continually producing 19.5 amps (or what ever is needed). Keeps the batteries fully charged and cares for any other loads.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
Tech issues maybe a better place for this.

For consideration......I have 2 6V batts also. Total amp hours listed at 225.
I use a 120 watt portable foldable solar panel to keep those batts fully zapped and do not own a generator.

A 120 minute movie and 2 episodes of Blue Bloods,(from an external disc) powered by a 600 watt inverter to a dedicated outlet is no problem.
In the morning, those batts are 2/3rds full according to the system panel.

Within 2 to 3 hours, those batts are back at full charge using the solar panel.
I don't think a 600W inverter will kick off a electric coffee pot though.
It's normally chilly in the mornings where I camp and using a stove top percolator is nice for the added zap in heat.

Good luck with your issues of battery placement.
I agree on the solar, it really doesn't cost that much. Put some on the roof where you'll never have to worry about it; it will work all day every day for you. You could add a connection somewhere for an additional portable panel in case you're in total shade all day. But even in shade, solar panel are always putting out something.

And ditch the electric coffee pot!
Old 06-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #12

I would agree with sticking to 6Vs. I've talked to people, and done a little research. Being able to double my Amp hours, just by using 6V, seems like a no brainer. It'll be my first upgrade. Solar is the ultimate endgame, but baby steps. Thanks for the thread. I was hoping to find something on here, relating to the subject.

2017 Jay Flight 26BH
2014 F-150 5.0 Fx4
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal El View Post
Thanks for the thread. I was hoping to find something on here, relating to the subject.
Take a look at our RVing with SOLAR social group. There is a lot of good BATTERY and SOLAR information to look over

Click on the RVing with SOLAR below... join and give us your plans on your future system

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenroads View Post
Our 2015 Seismic 3210 spends a couple weeks at a time at dry camping areas with no services. Last year, even just running the fantastic fans during the day was enough to run us down to where we need to run the generator more than we'd like.

We would also like to add an inverter, charge controller and get some AC circuits going all the time so we don't need to fire up the generator to make coffee, or so the kids can watch a movie on rainy days.

Currently we have 2 x 6v Golf Cart batteries and our power source is the Cummins Onan 5500 Gold Generator. We have been using a 50A Smart Car Charger to speed up charge times during generator runs so we can go for shorter periods and put more power into the batteries, but it still isn't enough, and it needs to be connected and disconnected each time to properly function, so a built-in proper charge controller & inverter setup just makes sense.

So what I'd like to know is if we should double up and do 2 sets of 2x 6v Golf Carts and add to what we already have, or swap out the two I have now for something bigger? 2 x 12v "something else" batteries?

For placement, it looks like there is plenty of room directly above the existing batteries, in behind the propane tanks -LOTS of wasted space in there. I could fit in some kind of base (wood?) and secure the base to the top of the existing battery compartment, put two batteries in there and secure them to the base, and simply pass the wires down to the battery compartment to make the series-parallel connection so I stay at 12v but have double the amps....

Any suggestions? I'm a little out of my element, but I think its time for upgrades and modifications, now that we are off warranty.
There is no way just running a few fantastic fans during the day should run down your batteries. Have you made sure they are topped off with DISTILLED water? I left mine going for 24 hours + the usual parasitic draws and the next morning was only down 21 ah.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
If would double up and 2 more 6 volt batteries, don't go back to the 12 volt batteries, they will not deliver like the 6 volts will, and the 6 volt batteries can handle an episode of low charge much better than the 12 volters
Actually this isn't true anymore. There are 12v batteries that are manufactured to the same plate thicknesses as the 6v. Trojan, Deka, FullRiver, Rolls etc. all manufacture 12 volt batteries with performance levels equal to or better than their 6v batteries.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6 volt, batteries, golf cart, parallel series, series parallel