Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

New battery shopping

The group 27 battery for my Skylark was getting flakey last fall when we put the trailer in storage. I kept it on a battery tender all winter and it won't hold a charge. It appears that two cells are dead.

I was looking around today and saw a EverStart Lead Acid Marine Battery, Group 27DC at Walmart. It is rated at 750 mca. Are these batteries any good or should I keep on looking?

We camp mostly where we can plug in.

Any suggestions. I don't have room for two 6 volt batteries.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #2

Not familiar with that particular battery.

Couple questions; What type of camping do you do? Are you always at a campsite that has shore power? If you are always camping with shore power any old dual purpose marine battery is fine. All you really need it for is when power goes out to keep the frig cold, and keep the heat going for a day. The real purpose of the battery is to activate/power the emergency brakes if the TT becomes disconnected from the TV.

If you boondock at all, I would recommend a true deep cycle battery.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #3

Whether they are any good or not depends on how you plan to use them.

I have a pair of those, but Group 24, in my TT and they've been OK. I also have them in my car & truck and Walmart has replaced them under warranty without a problem.

They are no substitute for a pair of 6volt batteries and they are not really deep cycle batteries even if they are marketed as such.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #4

I would get what is readily available. Sounds like you are plugged in the majority of the time. I ended up getting 2 Excide group 27 at Home Depot. The price was right, readily available plus HD provides a 10% veterans discount.

No battery will last forever!
scuba0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #5

I replaced 2 Grp 27 DC Everstart batteries in my boat today, mfg dates of 8/14 & 5/13. They still charged up as normal, and would provide a full day of trolling for me (4-6 hrs) with a 55# trolling motor on a 16.5' boat. The ONLY reason I changed them out was due to the age, and they would eventually fail on me, probably out on the lake which is a HORRIBLE time for them fail, just like a battery failing while on a camping trip.

I kept the batteries maintained with water in the cells, and charging them up immediately after a fishing trip. I used a mixture of an onboard charger at 6amp/bank and a BatteryMinder maintainer depending on when I was going on the next fishing trip. Never did the batteries let me down.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post

I kept the batteries maintained with water in the cells, and charging them up immediately after a fishing trip. I used a mixture of an onboard charger at 6amp/bank and a BatteryMinder maintainer depending on when I was going on the next fishing trip. Never did the batteries let me down.
The essentials for a LONG BATTERY LIFE!!! These are the posts I like to read..

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
The group 27 battery for my Skylark was getting flakey last fall when we put the trailer in storage. I kept it on a battery tender all winter and it won't hold a charge. It appears that two cells are dead.

I was looking around today and saw a EverStart Lead Acid Marine Battery, Group 27DC at Walmart. It is rated at 750 mca. Are these batteries any good or should I keep on looking?

We camp mostly where we can plug in.

Any suggestions. I don't have room for two 6 volt batteries.
Since it is mostly and not always.. I would go with a true deep cycle battery, if it has a CCA rating it is not deep cycle.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Since it is mostly and not always.. I would go with a true deep cycle battery, if it has a CCA rating it is not deep cycle.

This isn't true, it's now an "old wives tale". Battery manufactures have been posting CCA on true deep cycle batteries for some time now. The reason for this is the sailing community uses true deep cycle batteries for AC on their vessels and use those batteries to start their engines as well when they can't be under sail.

Deep Cycle Battery as a Starting Battery There is generally no problem with this, providing that allowance is made for the lower cranking amps compared to a similar size starting battery. As a general rule, if you are going to use a true deep cycle battery (such as the Concorde SunXtender) also as a starting battery, it should be oversized about 20% compared to the existing or recommended starting battery group size to get the same cranking amps. That is about the same as replacing a group 24 with a group 31. With modern engines with fuel injection and electronic ignition, it generally takes much less battery power to crank and start them, so raw cranking amps is less important than it used to be. On the other hand, many cars, boats, and RV's are more heavily loaded with power sucking "appliances", such as megawatt stereo systems etc. that are more suited for deep cycle batteries. We have used the Concorde SunXtender AGM batteries in some of our vehicles with no problems.
It will not hurt a deep cycle battery to be used as a starting battery, but for the same size battery they cannot supply as much cranking amps as a regular starting battery and is usually much more expensive.
https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...ttery-faq.html
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
Site Team

True most manufactures now stamp deep-cycle on their multi purpose batteries, it broadens their market. I look at it from this point of view. If the manufacturer, in their advertisement, specifies only CCA and MCA I tend to lean toward a battery that its PRIMARY design is for engine starting and secondary for RV use.

When you have to really dig for the Ah ratings of these batteries, to me the writing is on the wall.

Just my thoughts.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #10

When you have to really dig for the Ah ratings of these batteries, to me the writing is on the wall.

Just my thoughts.

Don

I totally agree. Like the old expression " There is no replacement for displacement"..................... Well now we have nitrous and turbo's.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #11

I purchased a new battery this morning. After shopping around I found and Interstate SRM-27 battery for about $17 more than the unknown brand from Walmart.