Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #11

I'm a day late and an inspection short. New unit, furnace gas hose kinked, stairs slanted, no evidence of rear window sealant, wall blistered, dealer replaced whole rear wall/end, refrigerator vent frame no seal - water ran between inner and outer wall.
Great list of important stuff. I didn't buy a TT to fix or repair daily.

DJsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #12

thanks..I'll use real soon!

Pagoda Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:26 AM   #13

My PDI job

Hello all. I worked at an RV dealership for 6 years. Retired now. My job mainly consisted of doing the PDI's for customers. I really enjoyed it and discovered new friends. Also I tried very hard to do my best covering each appliance and other items. I had a list of things to demo on their unit. I always took extra time to demo other things I felt the customer should know. Especially folks that never owned an RV of any type. Management didn't like that. Stating it should not take over 1 hour to complete. That's ridiculous! I didn't change my way of doing it. I even got money tips sometimes!! Even though I've owned an RV of some type since 1976 I learned a lot about the new things on an RV such as the electronics. Sometimes I had to demo the hookup procedure because the man that was supposed to do it was lazy. Even to the point of driving around the dealer's property adjusting electric brakes and so on which was his job also. Anyway the customer left happy and that made me happy.
yardvarkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #14

We could use more dedicated folks like you, yardvarkers.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardvarkers View Post
I always took extra time to demo other things I felt the customer should know. Especially folks that never owned an RV of any type. Management didn't like that. Stating it should not take over 1 hour to complete.....That's ridiculous! Anyway the customer left happy and that made me happy.
Good job! Every dealer that rushes a PDI just makes the list of unhappy owners that much longer on JOF.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #16

I'm glad i just found the tech talk section! Wow! The PDI checklist is fantastic!
You can bet I'll be taking the list with me to my PDI!
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

There are so many PDI checklists and now we have one more. Great!

Unfortunately, it focuses on making the customer the quality control/PDI person and doesn't deal with what comes next...getting warranty issues done in an overwhelmed environment.

Nothing wrong with that, but most new customers simply don't know much about anything having to do with an RV and frankly just walking through the RV for a demo is about as much as they can do, checklist or not, and if they don't make notes forget a lot stuff and don't bother to read at the manuals, but do very good at "requesting" free keep it simple help from various forums, but don't ask them to actually learn much about the fundamentals of propane and electricity and their appliances.

For several thousand dollars, Newmar will assign a couple of technicians for a week or so PDI to go through and fix any issues for the customer. It does make sense to do so, because they are basically allowing the customer to chose the level of quality control they are willing to pay for and not making all customers pay for a higher level of quality control. The ones that don't pay are either unaware of that option or would rather post a thread about how much money they paid for their motorhome (of course ignoring that the bank paid for it) and why can't they get a premium product for that price that is essentially problem free, so that doing a PDI ought to be irrelevant anyway...demo good enough.

Even better and more impressive are those diy yourself owners that upskill themselves and do as much of the warranty work as possible by themselves so they can stay the heck away from the dealerships.

In my opinion, the never-ending PDI and one more again is simply wrong footed.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #18

Upskill is key. As a newer rv owner, I'm currently in the process of learning the skills necessary to properly care for my new unit. I think the PDI checklist is just another tool amongst many tools required to be able to properly care for your rig.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #19

Thank you for the list Bluestreak, printed & will be putting to use tomorrow
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #20
Site Team

There is a dealer here near me in the lowcountry that sells used motorhomes. They go thru them with a fine tooth comb and make sure everything is top notch. A new buyer is put up in the rig in a CG just down the street after they spend as much time as necessary teaching them to use the systems.

Only after they are comfortable with the rig do they encourage them to take off.

Sounds like a service that would pay off for all involved.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote