Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #11

Thanks for the info. I have a 30 amp plug off my garage already from when I had my tent trailer. I can run everything with ease

brockeverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #12

I have a roll of Eternabond in my cart on Amazon and am going to tackle the roof first. Do I also need to order some of the Dicor self leveling sealant as well, or do I just put the Eternabond right over what is already there? Should one roll handle the roof? If I do the Dicor I have to wait a couple weeks before the Eternabond so if I do not need it I do not want to prolong it. Any tricks to walking on the roof, or just go about it like the roof of a house?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Never a bad idea to have a tube of Dicor around, but the Eternabond should be all you need to get started.
I ordered some parts from Amazon recently and they sent items seperately as available.
You can also pick up some Dicor at your local camper store or Grainger if needed.

Just walk on your roof like your house. It should have trusses and plywood or luan under the roofing material.

Check all your vent and vent covers while up there.

2 screws and your refrigerator vent cover will come off and you can check screen to make sure it's clean. Mine is an elongated cover on the driver side.

Best regards,
Doug

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #14

Might be a good idea to use a 2x2 pce of luan to kneel on the roof just to spread the weight. Larry ps check out the mods section--lots of good ideas for the 19h
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #15

If you are on the roof, my recommendation is to put the stabilizers down and wrap your extension ladder with foam (pool noodle, black pipe insulation, or even old rags), remove all items from your pockets and wear soft soled shoes like tennis shoes that have fairly clean soles. That roof membrane is VERY thin and I tore a small hole in the edge of the roof with the ladder.

2x on all the other advise
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #16

Just ordered a 4"x50' roll of Eternabond for $50 shipped on eBay, not too shabby. Is this going to be plenty for the roof? And can I split in in half and use it on other seams as well or do I need to get another roll of a smaller size?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

You'll be able to cover 50 linear feet :-)

As far as cutting in in 2" strips, thats not a problem if you get enough coverage.

Best regards,
Doug

Southwest, Ohio
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #18

Dicor came in today. Is that only for the roof or can it also be used on the wall seams? It would seem to me that if it is self leveling that means roof only but want to be sure. Also, how will I know which seams to peal the caulk out of and replace?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Inspect the cauling for cracking or separation from the surface it is ahered to.
These are signs it could be letting go and could start letting water in.
Sidewalls and windows is probably a different caulking.
May search "sealing windows on RV" on Youtube
Best regards,
Doug

Southwest, Ohio
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #20

Went through one tube of Dicor on the roof. I basically redid the entire thing. I found out after that I wasn't supposed to touch it which is awesome because I was touching it the whole time. Nothing like chemicals entering through your skin. I noticed the roof is quite sloppy. After some research I found that it is common on the Jayco trailers. Next up is Eternabond over all siliconed areas (front seam, sky lights, solar panel, HDTV, fantastic fan). I need to order another tube of Dicor and do the full length on each side and back of the roof still (doesn't need it, but its preventative maintenance, don't want to deal with it later)