Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #1

Question Newbie questions

New owner and still trying to figure it all out. I have read the book and searched the net, but still haven't found answers.

When I hook up to my City Water connection, does my hot water take fill?

Should I air out all lines before turning on hot water heater?

Do I need to drain my water tank? Has just a little left from dealer demonstration.

Thanks guys and sorry for the basic questions
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #2

Welcome!
If your camper came with the H2O bypass, make sure the valves are open and yes it will fill.
Wouldn't hurt to air them out. Just turn on a faucet and wait until the spitting & sputtering stops.
Again, wouldn't hurt to drain/sanitize the tank. I didn't because we don't drink the water from the tank. But if you do search "sanitize" on here you will get lots of ideas!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #3

Yes, when you connect to your city water connection the water heater will fill - assuming the winterizing crossover valve is closed and the water heater cold water inlet is open. When filling the water heater tank, I usually open the temperature relief valve - this lets air out of the tank as it is filling. Obviously when the tank is full, close the temperature relief valve.

Before turning on the water heater, you should make sure the water heater tank and water lines are full. If you plug in your trailer before making sure the water heater is full, make sure the electric water heating element and the gas water heater burner are off.

If I had a brand new trailer, here's what I would do:

Drain fresh water tanks. Drain water lines. Drain water heater. Re-close the valves you opened up. Add some water to fresh water tank and add 1/4 cup bleach for each 15 gallons of capacity; fill the water tank(s). Fill water lines and water heater. Let sit for several hours or overnight. Drain out all the bleach water from tank, lines, and water heater. Close the valves again, add some water to the fresh water tank (not all the way full unless you have to for boondocking) re-fill water heater and lines, and flush the lines with water until the bleach smell is gone.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #4

Here is a generic simplified water flow diagram for RV Trailers.

Note the ONE WAY VALVES being used...

Also NOTE the WATER PUMP should only be used when you have water in your FRESH WATER TANK to pressure up your water flow system when not connected to city water. Most of us leave the water pump turned off when connected to city water.

I only drain my HOT WATER TANK once a year when I inspect the sacrificial anode rod. Also note when winterizing your trailer always BYPASS the hot water heater and drain it so it won't freeze up over the winter months. Its not a good idea to have the RV ANTIFREEZE inside your water tank.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #5

^^ Good advice. Always remember with your water heater, it needs to have water in it when running. I always place it safe and make sure I am continuous getting water out of my hot water line just to make sure it is full before turning it on.

Also, you do not have to drain water heater after every trip. I usually do but I am a little OCD. I would suggest if it is going to sit for a couple weeks or more to drain it because I've seen them get nasty inside from sitting in the hot sun for months. Don't forget to open pressure relief valve prior to drain. I often fill it before I leave the house on a trip just because its one more thing to remember when filling at CG. Also if you forget and wait until at campsite, it'll drain 6-10 gallons (depending on size) from the fresh water tank you filled. We barely use toilet and rarely shower in trailer and we go through more water than you think.

I also drain my fresh water tank as I'm dumping or whenever convenient. I do not normally hual with fresh water in the tank.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote