Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #1

Newbie water question

I'm pretty new to campers. We have a 2016 174BH that we love. We have had it out a few times already, but only to sites with full hookups.

However, the last time we had it out we went to a site with only electric. No big deal, we thought. We can just toss some water in the FW tank and use it. We thought.

We had a 7 gallon water tote that we used to put some water in. Yes, we only put 7 gallons in it. Then, we went inside and turned on the pump switch. We could hear the pump humming, but no water would come out. Granted, we only turned it on for a few seconds, but I would expect to hear something. My father (who has a large fancy camper) said it should be just a couple of seconds and I should have water.

I re-read the manual, and from what I understand, the FW tank needs to pressurized before water comes out. Sort of like how an air compressor works. Do I understand that correctly? Am I just not being patient enough? Do I need to let that pump run for a bit before getting water running? Any insight would be really helpful.
Leaf_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #2

There is a valve to turn near your water pump. It lets the plumbing that runs down into the fresh water tank bring water up when the pump kicks on. You close that valve when your on city water because there’s no need to draw water from the FW tank and it prevents back pressure in the lines hurting the pump seals. Find your pump, find the inline valve next to it and turn it. Now kick in your pump and water should begin to flow. Nothing about the FW tank is pressurized, it’s a simple tank with a hose coming down into it from the on demand pump mounted inside your trailer.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #3

OK, so it is not a pressurized system. I will look for that valve and see what I can do.

Is it also possible that most of the 7 gallons that I put in the FW tank went to the water heater?

Thanks so much!
Old 08-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_eagle View Post
OK, so it is not a pressurized system. I will look for that valve and see what I can do.

Is it also possible that most of the 7 gallons that I put in the FW tank went to the water heater?

Thanks so much!
Yes the water heater will fill first and take 6 of your 7 gallons. It's important to open the hot side faucet closest to water heater during filling to allow air to escape. Put 20 gallons in the tank and let the water heater fill and soon after the entire system should pressurize.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_eagle View Post

Thanks so much!
Yes, if your water heater was empty, that would be the first thing that would take water when the pump's running. That's 6 of the 7 gallons. The tank doesn't pressurize, as the water pump draws water to it, and sends it to faucets.

Put a bunch more water in the tank, and it'll work just fine. I don't think the pump draws every bit out of the tank. There'll always be some in the bottom it won't get. Let us know how you make out with it.

TC, you type a lot faster than I do!!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #6

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll fill the tank up tomorrow and check all the valves. With luck, I will report back with success!
Old 08-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

... and be sure the water heater is FULL before turning on the heating element, but you already knew that.

And welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #8

I was assuming the water heater was already full unless they drain it every time they come home. If not, absolutely it all went to the tank, good call!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
TC, you type a lot faster than I do!!
Hey J, I was typing with 2 fingers instead of one! LOL. OP, keep us posted on how it comes out.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Hey J, I was typing with 2 fingers instead of one! LOL. OP, keep us posted on how it comes out.
Didn't know it was OK to type with two fingers!!! LOL

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 09-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #11

Figured it out

OK. I figured that I would put this out there in case someone else needs the information. This is for a 2016 Jayco SLX 174BH.

Under the bottom bunk, take out the two screws holding the panel down. Lift the panel to reveal the hot water heater, the water pump, and various valves. In the attaches picture, the valve circles in red is what I turned. It once it was turned, I got water pressure. The other valves closer to the hot water heater seem to control whether or not water flows to the HW heater.

I'm thinking of either putting a small access door between the open part under the bunk and that section OR putting hinges on the horizontal panel and a ring to lift with. It just seems like it isn't easy to get to.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #12

The last time I used my FW tank I started by turning the valves under the kitchen sink near the pump but to no avail.
I then went to the valves at the back of TT by the water heater (under the bunk beds) and after turning one of those I was able to get water out the faucets same as the pic above.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #13
Site Team

As you already figured out by now, that line with the valve you turned is the suction line from the water tank. The one with the clear line is for running antifreeze through the system to winterize (along with the bypass valves by the water heater).

2012 Jay Flight 19RD