Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #1

No brake lights

I've heard of people having this problem, but never heard a solution. My Tail lights, turn signals, hazards all work, but when the brake is applied nothing. The TVs center brake light does come on only, but thats pretty much worthless for it is blocked by the toys I strap on the top.
dpwelsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #2

Have they ever worked correctly? Are they working correctly on your TV?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #3

Yes and yes, but the TVs brake lights get canceled out once the pup is connected.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #4

before i stick my nose in too far..... from the orginal post it appears that the turn signals, tail lights, and hazards are working on both the TV and the TT - is that correct?
Second, is the TV a system with common Brake and Turn Signal, or do you have a converter to change the light configuration between the two? If you have different set ups between TT and TV I would check the converter. Let us know.......
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwelsher View Post
Yes and yes, but the TVs brake lights get canceled out once the pup is connected.
Ok, I'm not trying to be insulting here; I'm trying to get a better picture on what is happening here and the silliest details can make a difference. How do you know the brake lights on the pup are working if they will not work when connected to the tow vehicle? Also, have the brake lights ever worked when the pup was connected to the tow vehicle?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

I agree it might be some minor detail. The lights all worked before. There is no converter, I wired the TV to the PUPs specific need. If the TV is wired to the standard weird things happen to the PUP like the porch light will blink when you use the turn signal. Is it realy common for a TT to be wired in such a mannor? I just don't know, I hope it doesn't have to be redone entirely, the PUP even has reverse lights with bulbs in place that and aren't even wired in. I believe that would require an 8 post when the PUP only has a 6. Maybe something had been changed by the PO.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #7

The more I read this thread the more I think the original owner may have been wiring things their own way.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #8

x2 on wiring their own way!! porch light blinking could be hilarious on Halloween :-)

That being said - I think I would start with the TV and PUP disconnected, put a spare battery on the ground and start one wire at a time - just to document the existing wiring/cinnections. Then try to match to the TV wiring. Be watchful of bulbs coming on "half bright" that usually indicates a bad ground. Once you have the PUP wiring down, I would start one wire at a time off the TV and "hunt and peck" till you have the correct light on the PUP on - then keep going and going and .... the best of luck
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #9

Thanks Gma-n-Gpa. It was quit a hunt just to get the TV wired right for the PUP. Everything seemed to be connected nothing loose, but now that you mention it the passenger side taillight is at half brightness. You just may have saved the day. I will look it over and let you all know. Thanks so much to all for the input