Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #1

No ladder issues?

Since I've been up and down my ladder so much, I've begun to wonder how well secured and built it is. I can't remember ever reading tales of ladder issues, so how about it. The ladder on the back of my Eagle 5er doesn't feel very sturdy, and stepping down onto it always give me a shiver.
Do they fail? Do they require maintenence?
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

it is screwed into wood so I am sure they would work loose. The rungs likely get loose as well over time and use. Are they riveted or screwed?
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #3

I use my ladder often. There are a couple of issues I have noticed. My ladder is screwed to the back wall of my trailer; each support flange has two screws, one on each side of the ladder tube. As a point of information to judge how much stress I put on the ladder when I use it, I weigh about 185 pounds. In spite of the issues with the ladder, I'm glad my trailer came equipped with one.

These are the problems I have had:
1) The end of each rung has a plastic formed bushing at each end. Two of those bushings have broken.
2) The end of each rung is fastened into the ladder tube with a screw; one of those screws broke.
3) The flanges that attach to the back wall have deformed slightly and pulled away from the wall. Caulking at the flanges cracks due to the slight deformation and stress; I have put Eternabond over the flanges which so far has worked well.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
it is screwed into wood so I am sure they would work loose. The rungs likely get loose as well over time and use. Are they riveted or screwed?
Screwed into the back wall and rungs are attached with screws as well. Mine sounds just like RVHiker's situation.
I'm running about 168 lbs now and that ain't likely to go down unless I cut my hair and go naked. With putting up the wifi bridge mast I'm up and down the ladder at least twice each set up.
I'm a bit afraid to touch the screws for fear of stripping them out.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
I'm a bit afraid to touch the screws for fear of stripping them out.

just snug them up...shouldn't hurt anything.

I would maybe get on another ladder or something and tug on the ladder and see if it is pulling from the body any.

Easy spot for water to get in
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladder