Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #1

No power

2017 195 rb. I have no 12v power getting to converter. I have power at the first junction box by the battery. Can't find an oinline fuse anywhere after that. Can someone tell me where I would find the fuse?
HVLmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
Site Team

We have a 12 volt 30 amp blade style fuse in a rubber enclosure close to the battery. There's two green 30 amp fuses in the converter, on the circuit board. Those are reverse polarity fuses, and are at the top, above the blue 15 amp fuses.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #3

Do you have 12V when the trailer is plugged into shore power?

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:27 PM   #4

Yes everything is good when plugged in. When unplugged though...no power getting to the converter. The fuses and breakers are good. There isn't a fuse in the line coming from the battery...it goes to junction box and there is power there. Somewhere after that is where the problem is. I pulled the whole panel out where the converter is and dont see any fuses behind it.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #5

Normal the fuse would be before the junction box so if you're getting voltage at the junction box it's either a fuse in an unusual location or possibly a break in the wire somewhere. One additional thing you can do is check the voltage at the battery while you're not plugged into shore power and then check it while you're plugged into shore power. If there is no change that would be another indication of a blown fuse somewhere or break in the line. The voltage will be higher when plugged into shore power because the battery would be getting charged by the converter.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 07-11-2021, 07:32 PM   #6

No charge plugged in. I can see the wires from the junction running down the frame rail and going up through the floor about where the converter is...but when I check the hot wire before it connects to the panel it's already dead. I dont see a fuse link anywhere but I know there must be one!
Old 07-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVLmike View Post
No charge plugged in. I can see the wires from the junction running down the frame rail and going up through the floor about where the converter is...but when I check the hot wire before it connects to the panel it's already dead. I dont see a fuse link anywhere but I know there must be one!
Any chance the reverse voltage fuse in the converter is blown?
Old 07-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #8

Somehow I'm thinking that you have missed the fuse near the battery and before the junction box. How about going to the battery and putting your finger on the large positive wire and slide your finger down to the frame. There will probably be a small black rubber holder, about the size of a stamp. It can be hard to find the first time.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #9

Even if I missed the fuse by the battery....there is power at the junction box!
Old 07-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #10

Reverse polarity fuse is good as well as all the others in the panel
Old 07-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes everything is good when plugged in. When unplugged though...no power getting to the converter. The fuses and breakers are good. There isn't a fuse in the line coming from the battery...it goes to junction box and there is power there. Somewhere after that is where the problem is. I pulled the whole panel out where the converter is and dont see any fuses behind it.
Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forums (JOF).

Your comment isn't clear to me. A converter gets its power from the 120v and outputs ~12v, which seems to be good from your comment. When you don't have 120v (unplugged) then the converter doesn't get any power (unless you have a generator). That is how it works and expected. Do you know what make\model converter you have? ~CA
Old 07-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #12

What does the voltage read across the battery when you are plugged in? The converter should be sending a charge voltage of mid 13s to mid 14s.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forums (JOF).

You comment isn't clear to me. A converter gets its power from the 120v and outputs ~12v, which seems to be good from your comment. When you don't have 120v (unplugged) then the converter doesn't get any power (unless you have a generator). That is how it works and expected. Do you know what make\model converter you have? ~CA
Thanks...sorry I'm not real good with electrical and misunderstood how the co vetter works. So my problem is ...I'm not getting any 12v power to the fuse panel!
Old 07-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks...sorry I'm not real good with electrical and misunderstood how the co vetter works. So my problem is ...I'm not getting any 12v power to the fuse panel!

No worries, I would start at the battery and check for voltage there, and then follow the wiring to the frame ground and to the 12v panel. There likely are components, possibly a battery disconnect, junction box, and inline fuse(s) near the battery area feeding into the 12v panel inside. I would suggest to check for voltage at each point you find moving from the battery towards the 12v panel. ~CA
Old 07-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #15

Found it! The fuse link was tucked inside the plastic cover of the harness...next to the junction box. Replaced the fuse...all good now. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 07-12-2021, 10:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Found it! The fuse link was tucked inside the plastic cover of the harness...next to the junction box. Replaced the fuse...all good now. Thanks for everyone's help!

Good deal! A lot of us have found similar issues with fuses and fusable links hidden in a box or harness between the battery and fuse panel. I am not sure why the Jayco owner's manuals or something like a label in the fuse box or battery box doesn't mention this and where to find it. In any case, I am happy that you found it. ~CA
Old 07-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Fantastic.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #18

No Power

Quote:
2017 195 rb. I have no 12v power getting to converter. I have power at the first junction box by the battery. Can't find an oinline fuse anywhere after that. Can someone tell me where I would find the fuse?
My 2016 185 had a factory recall for a possible no power problem at the junction box circuit breaker (by Battery)...... An additional loom and breaker was installed..... You might contact your dealer with serial number....
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #19

Follow battery cable, auto reset circuit breakers, or manual reset within 18" of battery. 30a REVERSE POLARITY FUSES. On CONVERTER. Bumper pull Trailer often mounted UNDER, where 5th wheel in forward compartment? Yes, they also go bad
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote